Broil King Keg Forum
September 25, 2017, 08:56:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Photobucket alternatives: PostImage.Org, Google Drive, Google Photos  (Read 1058 times)
Shawn W
2x Hero of the Month, 5x Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« on: July 13, 2017, 09:31:00 PM »

Man. I have ten years of BBQ pics on Photobucket sorted in folders. From Free to $40/month .... My image links in perhaps 8,000 forum posts around the web all broken in one fell swoop. I can't say what I think and keep it 'G' rated  Angry

Here are a couple more options in addition to Imgur discussed elsewhere.

Postimage.org
Free (non-profit) image hosting: Postimage.org

I'm liking it so far. Ad free, not as fancy but it works. You don't even need an account to upload files. But I signed up for one so I can create galleries (folders) and manage my stuff. You can upload multiple files at once, autoresize on upload and it spits out URLS for all pics in a gallery in one convenient box, no need to to put multiple pics in individually like with Photobucket. PB was so cumbersome that way, especially with ads it drove me nuts.

There is also a Postimage add on for our SMF forum! Perhaps BBQRich could have a look and consider getting it implemented:
http://postimages.org/plugins

It supports thumbs too:

Google Drive

• Within your Google Drive library right click on a single picture you have uploaded to Drive and choose Get Shareable Link

• In the window that pops up right click the link and copy it. It will look like this:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TzAVgJFU3TRSJskIin5ovBWMaOCUY0qCtw/view

• Edit the link to look like this:
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1TzAVgJFU3TRSJskIin5ovBWMaOCUY0qCtw

• Finally, wrap the new link in an IMG tag and you're done!
Code:
[img]https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1TzAVgJFU3TRSJskIin5ovBWMaOCUY0qCtw[/img]

Obviously, resizing is needed before upload to Drive, but it works.

Google Photos
This one is a bit cumbersome as well but you can specify the image size within the tag.

• Within your Google Photos library left click on a single picture so it opens up in it's own window (with the editing and sharing tools).

• Right click the image and select Copy Image Address (Chrome)

• Paste it into your forum message window. It will look like this:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Kv2SilHcacJEgvsd3ZB0k-2nnkZr2hJWGSk6A6Oxs7quKb1ZHbXzGWoInkYjXlEq2iXX5u5VcX0LdPaQn86HXXAVsvuCwkJ7F3qGQlydDjeE6Ih12k0jZ6ADDNKZXfBEI9QdkLzJt_CozfVBNpJF5Ek38w2qGQp17WNpgz4IvV2iu-pfqfpV-Qd2vfBSIj6tzH_EcW1SBbwzM8ngK76WW5VVLDPQFUxlvIRDmdymb0gPCGdXXN1YolpIzN5AEHl9T9M4UXlt6EMH3IsWhc5baFytTGowT8tNVnf1XTW8q3TUxPTd6m7qY3HeDK95uSVR8FjWJQ4ynq4LeofUm5kRVnJDPZCJ5jgxz9G5xM21pj7M8dVeqRFSN3QmjhHlPOF5D53uQt2VRJUADM5xdn6vFZxv1KR8xc1gib7-GyPv4QWBdlQGC-3KpMAuJ2zjO3FSHTQpmXVTEwQU6fSNOHRLGnRdPe6u_MsNF4ZcP_oUOfS_XeryfHIB2f31IyT9jswWElN3a4iCY9r2V_j7wWkmsw19SWx4L_JzyfzJCsPpW01fiyx-B-radu_hML3iIREBgoZuiiAeL-25sEMtXT_GzEiv3TGpp2CRXAEOtjugqGms3423z_P5sx_b=w1216-h684-no

• Add either -tmp.jpg or ?.jpg at the end of the link:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Kv2SilHcacJEgvsd3ZB0k-2nnkZr2hJWGSk6A6Oxs7quKb1ZHbXzGWoInkYjXlEq2iXX5u5VcX0LdPaQn86HXXAVsvuCwkJ7F3qGQlydDjeE6Ih12k0jZ6ADDNKZXfBEI9QdkLzJt_CozfVBNpJF5Ek38w2qGQp17WNpgz4IvV2iu-pfqfpV-Qd2vfBSIj6tzH_EcW1SBbwzM8ngK76WW5VVLDPQFUxlvIRDmdymb0gPCGdXXN1YolpIzN5AEHl9T9M4UXlt6EMH3IsWhc5baFytTGowT8tNVnf1XTW8q3TUxPTd6m7qY3HeDK95uSVR8FjWJQ4ynq4LeofUm5kRVnJDPZCJ5jgxz9G5xM21pj7M8dVeqRFSN3QmjhHlPOF5D53uQt2VRJUADM5xdn6vFZxv1KR8xc1gib7-GyPv4QWBdlQGC-3KpMAuJ2zjO3FSHTQpmXVTEwQU6fSNOHRLGnRdPe6u_MsNF4ZcP_oUOfS_XeryfHIB2f31IyT9jswWElN3a4iCY9r2V_j7wWkmsw19SWx4L_JzyfzJCsPpW01fiyx-B-radu_hML3iIREBgoZuiiAeL-25sEMtXT_GzEiv3TGpp2CRXAEOtjugqGms3423z_P5sx_b=w1216-h684-no?.jpg

• Select your entire link then click the IMG button in the forum topic editor or manually type the opening and closing IMG tag at the start and end of the link

• To resize inline to 400x300 for example edit the w and h parameters just before -no?.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/aCLXO1G-GnAag7Ph2dFdlzmtBBVMQNQADOk1JPveeZyewtxjPYKA3ZcZD-pmnR6BnKyBaFZLiPO4tbaB-jeyXyVMvfFBX--KM5OjuQb-r0YIz1gKWYtJRrT-mrZf3qW6n8Ta_tRhqzISZnWqTkX3TTOd1gRgIKMaTw_qVbDKjRv6wyi4OcnrZC0J7OLJoWbAXZQI1l7E7rNiQ9RxNKVl7z_ULF0ChaX6F0EEb2BRsGC4GdWbihePqyUXSjawN46LWNbN3SYgUI6nI7jMBo4YLfFTKDp57oOXYGIm4fjLKwAgJShlcALtfONHqfYKhEQCy7Fvv5PJtpluq7edqP17tC7NVPh7XifHueps3lQABoMW7B0ZFrn0hAjmYF9j3lj0u79Khj_3ZjSmKd89k3RUHL4s7zMkA_yNqopFWWgZuF_r6aGYN30SDVlkLBVoh5dqzQBD3vqA3wVwwqnzG3y1AvQx0Jb7iokWLlBVoWWzuBkWI94aMCcAftr6UhYDYJqs_MMd7znSsg0_02uy2cE_qMSQ8YI-_nWcFNbpPjJpHl8wamWDGeYg4jCcU5pVB-VWTjUjNWmEezWx4BNyvCOjPIOsXaRaD8M7mEVIqBpZwT_rzN-23fSU0OnnSe08uxt0AjBqLlzhBsbR_xYExO19M7mXJi5Z_TJCWOYB5vzUt0VLqw=w400-h300-no?.jpg

Google Photos info was found here (along with some more tag options for cropping etc):
https://sites.google.com/site/picasaresources/Home/Picasa-FAQ/google-photos-1/how-to/how-to-get-a-direct-link-to-an-image
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 12:16:54 AM by Shawn W » Logged
bamabob
2X Hero of the Month ~ 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

my dog can't hold her licker

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 03:09:05 PM »

thanks, good information Shawn.  I have to agree, I would often refer to my posts on here to see photos of cooks I had done in the past to see how I did that or to show to someone.  Also, most of the throwdown history photos are gone, man there were some great cooks posted back in the day that are gone.

I'm really liking Imgur.  I posted my bison burger post using the sizing app and the imgur app for uploading.  Super easy, just need to find out why once on imgur sometimes the photos work and sometimes not.  For the burger post I chose "huge thumbnail" instead of original image for the size and seemed to work okay.  If I had faster internet I would probably upload without sizing first and choose one of the size options when creating the links to post on here. For some other forums doesn't matter, the forum will limit the size to 800 X 600.

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.
bamabob
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 06:52:16 PM »

I tried postimage.org, it seems straightforward and easy.  below is a test post.  After trying to upload the photos without resizing and it taking too long, (I have super slow internet plus we were streaming a movie on Netflix while trying), I used the sizing app to size them to 640 X 480 and they uploaded almost instantly.  Like you said Shawn I didn't have to register but i probably will. I searched for a "postimage app" and couldn't find one, sure would be nice to upload right from my sizing app like I can with imgur.  I hope the images show up okay.  So far I like this as long as there are no error messages on various devices.

Shawn W
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 11:10:44 PM »

I tried postimage.org, it seems straightforward and easy.  below is a test post.  After trying to upload the photos without resizing and it taking too long, (I have super slow internet plus we were streaming a movie on Netflix while trying), I used the sizing app to size them to 640 X 480 and they uploaded almost instantly.  Like you said Shawn I didn't have to register but i probably will. I searched for a "postimage app" and couldn't find one, sure would be nice to upload right from my sizing app like I can with imgur.  I hope the images show up okay.  So far I like this as long as there are no error messages on various devices...

I think there are options for all. Some will suit certain folks better, whlie some will suit others better. Personally I'm just about ready to do my own hosting on my own server to prevent this from happening to my posts again ... but trying to cool off first.

IMGUR seems well suited to to the phone camera crowd with it's companion apps. I'll be honest, any 'for profit' or 'non-profit' scares me a bit after this Photobucket debacle. No reason the next 'free' service won't do the same thing or the next not-for-profit service will just go up in smoke too. What to do ....

Postimage seems VERY forum user friendly. Google Drive and Google Photos are great for Google and Android users because your pics ultimately upload/synch/are accessible across devices and Google **might** be the best free solution LONG TERM despite their services being somewhat cumbersome to use in forums.

I think PB could have come up with something, anything, so much more creative that didn't have such a huge impact around the web, especially for (non-commercial) hobbyists. For example, even something as basic as a flat rate of $5/month plus a $/MB overage beyond an included amount of bandwidth used. The VAST majority of my PB content is barely accessed after 60 days, but pay-for-use is fair to everyone. Make a dollar off of a million people rather than ~$500 off of 2,000 people.
bamabob
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 05:25:12 AM »

yep, Photobucket blew it.  If they would have sent me a notice saying to keep using the service for photohosting it will cost $X.xx per month I may have gone for that.  It's a shame to lose all the great photos that were on this forum, lot's of good advice and ideas.  I referred to the often.  It was interesting to go back to the first page of "what's cooking" from the beginning of the forum and work my way forward and see how the cooking evolved and improved with everyone helping each other. 

In a way I'm kind of glad PB did what they did or I never would have searched out other sites.  I think I'll go with postimage, I haven't had any issues with error messages.  I do like imgur better overall, but like you say, the same thing can happen with either of them down the road.

I'll have to figure something out before the posting date for the SAUSAGE THROWDOWN!!  (if I get any entries)  Huh

billsfan
2X Keg Hero of the Month; Mexican Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Charlotte, NC

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 05:28:25 AM »

If you want your photos you can download your library  from photo bucket. they come down in a zip file.

Dan
bamabob
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 06:09:18 AM »

Whoa, now this is a game changer. Just discovered that PostImage does have an app, at least for Windows.  The link to install is at the top of their website.  quick install, all I had to do to post this photo was open the app, click on ''upload images", choose the image and go.  As it uploads a box opens up on the desktop, when done uploading the links are there to hotlink to forum with a copy button.  Can't get any easier than this.  Appears that this only works when doing one photo, as far as being able to just click copy in the popup.  can still upload multiple photos using the app but have to click on the link to the website that is in the popup and get the links there.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 06:44:19 AM by bamabob » Logged

billsfan
2X Keg Hero of the Month; Mexican Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Charlotte, NC

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 08:25:11 AM »

I deleted my PB account and told them they screwed the pooch and ruined a lot of forums. won't make a difference but it made me feel good for a minute  Smiley

Dan
bamabob
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 11:24:53 AM »

I'm going to keep all my images on there and maybe even upload a boatload more.  Load them up till they crash.

SmallBBQr

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 12:54:28 PM »

I don't use it personally, but most of the pics on reddit are linked to imgur.  http://imgur.com/

Kick Ash Divide & Conquer Kegger
bamabob
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 12:55:16 PM »

seems like I get two different screens depending if I upload just one photo or multiple photos.  This is what I get when uploading multiple photos.  I just figured out i don't need to highlight, right click and copy the links.  that little blue button to the right is a copy button!  Hope I can remember that.  Just click on it and paste in the post!   so much easier than photobucket.

Here's what I get after uploading just one photo:

either way, just click on the blue button next to hotlink to forums and paste in the forum

bamabob
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 12:56:40 PM »

Also, keep in mind for resizing when uploading to postimage you can choose to resize upon upload.  800 X 600 works well for most forums.  the only reason I resize first is because my internet is so slow.

Shawn W
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2017, 07:30:33 PM »

seems like I get two different screens depending if I upload just one photo or multiple photos.  This is what I get when uploading multiple photos.  I just figured out i don't need to highlight, right click and copy the links.  that little blue button to the right is a copy button!  Hope I can remember that.  Just click on it and paste in the post!   so much easier than photobucket.

Ya that what I was trying to get at when I first mentioned PostImage. You can block copy all of your uploaded IMG tages in one shot, unlike PB where you had to go retrieve one at a time. Like I said, forum user friendly.

Glad you found the Windows app!
Shawn W
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2017, 09:58:34 PM »

I just salvaged and posted my first gallery from PhotoBucket. What a PITA. It didn't work at all using Chrome then I almost had a nuclear meltdown. It did work from the new Edge browser at least. But I'm still not terribly happy. The full size pics I uploaded are only coming back to me in the ballpark of 1024 size.

I'm going to contact them and see if there is any way they can help me download my ten year history at original sizes ... even for a modest fee ... in one shot. I'll keep you posted.
Shawn W
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 11:19:48 PM »

I'm going to contact them and see if there is any way they can help me download my ten year history at original sizes ... even for a modest fee ... in one shot. I'll keep you posted.
No response from PB as of yet to this request. I'm disappointed but not surprised. Even a 'sorry we don't offer this service' response would have been marginally better than nothing. Jerks.

I guess I'll start salvaging what I can from my PB albums.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: