Broil King Keg Forum
April 23, 2018, 02:23:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Lodge Cast Iron Pan  (Read 3410 times)
Cajunate
4X Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« on: July 02, 2017, 05:46:42 AM »

No need to cut the handles off good cast iron pans anymore! Lodge has come out with a new cast iron pan with two loop-style handles perfect for using on the Keg or any grill for that matter.

http://shop.lodgemfg.com/prodcat/dual-handle-pans.asp?utm_source=Lodge+Cast+Iron+Newsletter&utm_campaign=3a7fde9f10-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_06_28&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_2e85ab85af-3a7fde9f10-100469193&mc_cid=3a7fde9f10&mc_eid=8c4a0e675d

"Good grillin' is like good lovin' "
  Just outside of New Orleans
SmallBBQr

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 08:49:20 PM »

Nice find.

I have a 16" Cabelas brand I purchased some years ago that I love.  Works great to do whole chickens splayed out in the keg and oven.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/28026?productVariantId=100216&gclid=CjwKEAjws-LKBRDCk9v6_cnBgjISJAADkzXeVNIsJeZfFbwGvzOjxeHt2qtGrBz-U7SOQsxzFV6mThoCjTvw_wcB

Kick Ash Divide & Conquer Kegger
Shawn W
2x Hero of the Month, 5x Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 11:08:02 PM »

Nice! Lodge also has a 17" I've had my eye on for some time:

http://shop.lodgemfg.com/skillets-and-covers/17-inch-cast-iron-skillet.asp
Cajunate
4X Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 04:49:07 AM »

That's a nice big pan! I have one that's like 20 or 22 inches wide. Lol....... Can't use it too often and definitely not on the Keg. I'll have to pull it out and get a picture of it.

"Good grillin' is like good lovin' "
  Just outside of New Orleans
grillmeister

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 10:18:03 AM »

$112 for a 17" cast iron pan? yikes!!! Wonder if it could serve double duty as a diffuser too?
SmallBBQr

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 01:00:30 PM »

$112 for a 17" cast iron pan? yikes!!! Wonder if it could serve double duty as a diffuser too?

The cost for the Lodge was why I ended up purchasing the Cabela's knock-off brand.  For what I use it for, the brand name doesn't matter.  When I was looking here in Canada, the lodge 17 was around $150, and the Cabela's was about 1/2 of that.

Kick Ash Divide & Conquer Kegger
Caveman
Hero of The Month

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 05:48:08 AM »

Been shopping around for cast iron skillets as well. So what's the difference between the lodge vs other brands? Cast iron is just cast iron, and if properly seasoned it should last for a long time...or am I missing something? Anyone tried the Woods brand? They seem affordable as well...
billsfan
2X Keg Hero of the Month; Mexican Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Charlotte, NC

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 01:17:40 PM »

Don't know about all the others but Lodge does have a lifetime warranty. They replaced a several years old Enamled dutch oven for me at no charge

http://forum.bigsteelkeg.com/index.php?topic=17105.0
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 06:52:00 PM by billsfan » Logged

Dan
Shawn W
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 06:46:55 PM »

The cost for the Lodge was why I ended up purchasing the Cabela's knock-off brand.  For what I use it for, the brand name doesn't matter.  When I was looking here in Canada, the lodge 17 was around $150, and the Cabela's was about 1/2 of that.
Right?! That's an expensive extra inch  Grin
Shawn W
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 06:58:18 PM »

Been shopping around for cast iron skillets as well. So what's the difference between the lodge vs other brands? Cast iron is just cast iron, and if properly seasoned it should last for a long time...or am I missing something? Anyone tried the Woods brand? They seem affordable as well...
There are certainly some differences. I bought some cheap Asian made pans and they came with very course (not smooth) cooking surfaces. It takes a LONG time to get them smooth inside by seasoning. I'm not a Cast Iron expert or junkie but here is some more info if it helps you decide.

I believe some of the classics like Griswold came from the factory with machined smooth cooking surfaces. Huge difference in seasoning effort and relative non-stick performance over course cooking surfaces.

This link talks about why vintage pans are superior, but some of it is applicable to different quality levels in current pans:
https://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/home/why-antique-cast-iron-pans-are-the-best

This one has some links to vintage CI dealers
http://www.thekitchn.com/the-kitchn-guide-to-buying-vintage-cast-iron-cookware-236599

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Buying-a-Vintage-Cast-Iron-Pan-Top-Ten-Considerations-/10000000175529024/g.html
ModernMan

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 06:46:56 AM »

Some of those vintage Griswolds, Wagner etc are beauties however, many are slighlty warped on the base due to high contrast heat/cold cycles through the decades.
Not an issue w gas burner stoves or on the BBQ.
But a non-flat base can be an issue with glass top stoves or induction stove-tops.

Alternately if hard to find vintage or if prices are too exorbitant , one could buy the new, rough grained cast ironed stuff - take a metal grinder and grind away - to smooth the inside surfaces of skillets and pans (or pay a summer student to do it) Wink
Caveman
Hero of The Month

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 06:34:23 PM »

speaking of cast iron pans...

I was at my in-laws, and I asked if they had some cast iron pans that they no longer used...they handed me this...it needs seasoning but it's in pretty decent shape. the surface is very smooth!

Shawn W
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 12:07:50 AM »

That looks like a real beauty Caveman
Caveman
Hero of The Month

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 04:55:59 AM »

I know! I was really happy when they said, "sure we have one of those, you can have it!".

My father in law thinks it belonged to his mother. He wasn't sure exactly. In the article above they mention that

" The term “Made in the U.S.A” wasn’t stamped on pans until after automated manufacturing became the norm. If you see this, it’s not vintage."

So it's difficult to know the age of this pan...nonetheless I figure its at least 60 years old...can't wait to season it and start using this old beauty!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: