Broil King Keg Forum
August 23, 2017, 08:55:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Double Rubbed Pulled Pork Picnics  (Read 245 times)
Shawn W
2x Hero of the Month, 4x Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« on: June 17, 2017, 01:35:35 AM »

I did a huge cook over the last couple of days, more BBQ stuff than I have done for one cook than I have done in a long time. I mixed up two big batches of rub, one for ribs one for pulled pork. I made Carolina gold mustard sauce and my smoked habanero mayo. Then I did a full on double rubbed pork shoulder picnic cook with spritzing.

The picnics were on sale for $1.99/lb with the hock removed and around 9 lbs each! It was about an 18 hour cook but I ended up with a huge bowl of awesome. If you can find large picnics like this for a good price they are totally worth doing.

I'll show two pics of the trim job. The first is about half done, the second shows the skins removed from the inside. The skin waste was about 4 lbs total for both picnics. One could leave the skin on but I like getting more bark. I think I did a pretty good job.

After trimming I rubbed the picnics down then let them sit in the fridge for 12 hours. Then they got another rub down before smoking.

I let the keg roll at 225ºF and went to bed. In the morning it was reading about 190ºF. I wasn't surprised, I started it with the top of a bag of lump with huge chunks and many gaps in the firebowl. I then managed the fire around 275ºF for about 6 more hours to get the cook done. While completing the cook I spritzed the picnics hourly with apple juice with this sprayer I got at he dollar store for $3.

On the second to last spritz I sprinkled some more rub on the picnics. Here they are done on the keg before getting foil wrapped into the toweled cooler to contemplate tenderness.

And finally, the bowl of awesome, with a beer can on the side just to give some perspective.

Sauces:

Rubs:

billsfan
2X Keg Hero of the Month; Mexican Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Charlotte, NC

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 05:01:59 AM »

looks great nice bark

Dan
Cajunate
4X Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 07:46:01 AM »

Looks fantastic! I usually add a lil extra rub after pulling the meat. Gives it an extra zing!

"Good grillin' is like good lovin' "
  Just outside of New Orleans
billsfan
2X Keg Hero of the Month; Mexican Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Charlotte, NC

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 08:07:07 AM »

sometimes I'll sprinkle in some red pepper flakes

Dan
bkk bob
Superhero Member

S.W. Manitoba, Canada

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 08:49:52 AM »

Shawn i just did the exact picnic last weekend,i did not trim the fat cap/rind off,it also turned out very good.What would happen if you skinned the cap as you did,threw it on the keg to crisp it up some(the cap) and then once you got your bark on,tented the butts after spritzing with the cap?Just throwing it out there to see what yours or others thoughts on it are.
bel4_20
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 12:02:14 PM »

Thats money right there!! cold hard cash!!

Here's to alcohol: The source of, and answer to, all of life's problems. --Homer Simpson
Shawn W
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 02:08:41 PM »

Looks fantastic! I usually add a lil extra rub after pulling the meat. Gives it an extra zing!
Thanks! I do that too sometimes. The other thing I like to do is apply a finishing sauce:

1/3 melted butter
1/3 bbq sauce
1/3 liquid of your choice ... beer, broth, juice etc.
rub
salt to taste
Heat enough to blend, apply and toss.

I make all my rubs salt free so I can use as little or as much as I like without oversalting, so just adding rub on it's own to finished product doesn't always work out.
Shawn W
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 02:17:31 PM »

Shawn i just did the exact picnic last weekend,i did not trim the fat cap/rind off,it also turned out very good.What would happen if you skinned the cap as you did,threw it on the keg to crisp it up some(the cap) and then once you got your bark on,tented the butts after spritzing with the cap?Just throwing it out there to see what yours or others thoughts on it are.
Not having tried it I think the best you could hope for is tough, hard skin at low and slow temps. But it's a little more complicated than that. To get the best results from skin you need frying temps.

A better way to cook the skin would be to let the keg get to 425ºF (375ºF max if rubbing with sugar to make some kind of candied skin), then cook the skin. These temps should help the skin fry in it's own fat before getting tough and hard.

The other thing you could try, and I considered it for this cook but I just didn't have time is to haul out the deep fryer and make chicharones (fried pork rinds). I would only do a few at a time in a typical home fryer and expect them to be done in less than 5 minutes. They can be seasoned after draining but ideally while still 'wet' and warm.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 03:14:14 PM by Shawn W » Logged
bamabob
2X Hero of the Month ~ 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

my dog can't hold her licker

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 05:53:29 PM »

That would go really well in my belly right now.

Is the picnic much different than a butt?  I've never seen a picnic around here that wasn't already smoked.

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.
Dataspaz
Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Frisco, Texas

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 02:24:21 PM »

Shocked Shocked  That is a lot of really tasty looking pork!!  Shocked Shocked

Run......  Run......... Dive!!!!!!!!
Shawn W
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 01:45:35 PM »

....Is the picnic much different than a butt?  I've never seen a picnic around here that wasn't already smoked.
There is more skin on a picnic and they are smaller than the butt from the same animal. They aren't as thick as a butt so you end up with more bark and less of the super soft meat from the inside of a butt. I think picnics also are made up of fewer muscles so they have less connective tissue inside.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: