Broil King Keg Forum
June 26, 2017, 08:25:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thin Pre-made Burgers  (Read 389 times)
Cajunate
4X Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« on: June 07, 2017, 05:39:15 AM »

Debating on bringing my Keg to a meeting tomorrow evening. We have a case of those pre-made burgers from Sam's(1/4 lb patties)and dogs in the cooler and I was thinking about bringing a Keg to grill them on. One of the other guys wants to just griddle them on an outdoor griddle we have but I was wondering if those burgers would be a mess on the Keg with flare up or just to go ahead and do them on the flat top.

Anybody ever grill those type burgers on their Keg?

"Good grillin' is like good lovin' "
  Just outside of New Orleans
billsfan
2X Keg Hero of the Month; Mexican Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Charlotte, NC

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 07:12:16 AM »

Not used that specific kind but I find the premade do flare up. I put the grate in the upper position

Dan
lester7009
Superhero Member

Protect Your BSK

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 02:01:41 PM »

use Grill Grates
bamabob
2X Hero of the Month ~ 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

my dog can't hold her licker

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 02:38:14 PM »

What's wrong with flare-ups?   Huh Huh

When I grill lid open, once up to temp I'll close the lower vent to limit airflow.  That helps a little.  
If the flareup gets out of control to the point that I'll end up with coal-burgers I just close the lid but leave the top vent at 4 to wide open to let the smoke out.  Stops the flames and keeps it under control without the "smokey burnt fat" burger syndrome.

Most of the premade burgers are thin enough that by the time they're charred on the outside their done on the inside but still juicy.

Now when doing those homemade 1/2 pound thick burgers I use the ash dragon firebowl divider to have a hot side and a cool side and just move them back and forth and not worry about the flareups.  I wear a heat resistant glove on the flipping hand along with a 16" flipper.

I have the Grill Grates which I use sometimes but I prefer the all over crunch and sear as opposed to the pretty stripes.

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.
Cajunate
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 04:26:34 PM »

Nothing wrong with w minor flare up but I'd be grilling 40 burgers. I don't want to end up with a roaring ball of grease fire. Lol.........
Using the grill grates would take too long to grill that many burgers too. I did a test run this afternoon with a couple of burgers and they weren't too bad. I'll decided what I do tomorrow.

Cajunate
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 02:04:24 PM »

Alright, I decided to bring the Keg to the meeting to grill burgers on. Just got back from dropping it off at the meeting hall. Their also having summer cabbageball and I figure parking may be difficult so I dropped the Keg off early. I'm ready! I made a potato salad for a side, sliced up onions to be griddled along with raw red and Vidalia for those that may want raw.

bamabob
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 02:26:30 PM »

Let us know how things turn out.  Looking forward to seeing the fire department spraying the keg down LOL

40 burgers is a lot of fat, but you can probably only fit what.....10 at a time?

Cajunate
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 05:04:46 AM »

Well, the Keg performed fantastically last night. I got it lit and we were about 60 feet from where the summer cabbageball parents were cooking burgers on a propane grill(about 48" wide thing from Sam's). EVERYONE that passed near us and saw the Keg were intrigued and smelled the flavorful aroma coming from the Keg. Smoke was pouring out of the top vent as once the fat started cooking out of those burgers it created flames when the lid was open. Closed it was fine.
One of the cooks cb guys flipping burgers came over to investigate what we were cooking because it smelled so much better than theirs. And they were doing better quality burgers than ours. We also were griddling onions on the outdoor griddle so that added to the smells in the air. Lol....... Everyone that ate loved the burgers and dogs. Heck, I ate two burgers myself!

I had one guy telling me that his son was buying him a BGE but he was absolutely enamored with the Keg. Lol.......... When I showed him that the shelves come off and asked him to touch the outer shell(and he did)and explained how easy it is to transport on a hitch he stood there smiling and almost amazed. Everyone loved the Keg!!!!!!

At the end of cooking just having to shut the lid and vents is so much easier than dousing lit charcoal or worrying about a fire hazard. I just closed the lid and went inside to the dining area and the meeting. Actually I went back outside and toasted a few buns for burgers. After the meeting the temp had dropped over 50% and I went and put it back on the hitch of the truck. Guys saw it there when leaving the meeting and loved that I was able to do that.
I swear if there was a local dealer at least one or two of the guys would go and check the Keg out further.

bamabob
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 10:46:37 AM »

Glad it worked out for you Nate.  The keg really does burgers right.

I've never understood why flareups are viewed as such a negative as long as they're kept under control.  Easy enough to do with the keg.
The only thing I use my grill grates for anymore is fish and sometimes chicken.  For beef I much prefer the all over sear instead of the striped thin lines of sear.  But since we have all been taught that the lines are pretty taste has been forgotten.

RG

Smoking - Grilling - General Mischievousness

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 04:15:20 AM »

The only thing about the flare ups that you need to worry about is when opening the keg and the air rushes in. That massive fireball can hurt you (I know from experience)! As long as you burp it, you're good to go. We may Keg some burgers this weekend. After reading this post, Nate has me wanting to grill some burgers and dogs Tongue

BBQ is not grill, it is a food Smiley
Dragonfly
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 08:25:00 AM »

If I make burgers with the thin, premade but fresh, not frozen, 80/20 burgers - huge flareups. If I make burgers with 80/20 meat, no flareups. Both are quarter pound; the only difference is one is premade is thinner. Cooking same number of burgers.

Personally, I suspect they make the premade ones using 73% meat and sell it as 80%.

The flareups are not only risky upon opening. After opening the lid, the flareups begin and while I took a burger off and measured the internal temp (food safety!), the flames became so big I literally had to knock the lid to let it fall closed. It did not take long for huge flames. I guess closing the lower vent would help, but I will just spend the extra few minutes making my own patties instead.

My go to is 85/15, but I have cooked 80/20 a number of times when they were on sale, or were out of 85/15. I find the 90/10 and 93/7 less flavorful for burgers, though fine in some uses.
Cajunate
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2017, 08:41:27 AM »

The flames/flare up wasn't THAT bad. My biggest concern was the flare up cooking the outer part and leaving the very middle somewhat uncooked. When using these types of thin(and I call them "Whopper like" )burgers and being pre-made there's a history of that type of meat having stuff that FRESH meat doesn't bacteria issues wise. So I want to cook these types of burgers through. And then there's the fact that since they do add more fat to them they WILL release a lot of fat drippings.
Now, I will say that I was able to cook these burgers perfectly and everyone loved them.

Don't get me wrong.... I have gotten frozen pre-made burgers that were low in fat because they were made specially for certain local restaurants. When you're getting those kind of burgers and they're 6-8 oz patties for 50 cents a patty which is a steal and they aren't as fat and flare up prone you can't complain.
I'll have to check my source on those good burgers this coming week. They should have some right about now.

Cajunate
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 07:46:55 AM »

Yesterday morning I was out in the yard cutting the grass and while out there I opened the Keg's lid to see how much lump I used Thursday evening. there was over 90-95% of what I left with Thursday but I noticed how greasy the inside was. Not just from the burgers but it was pretty greasy. I'm kind of anal about keeping the Keg clean so I decided to light it and give it a good burn off of greasiness. I let it goo all afternoon until the lump in there burn itself out. Just for the heck of it I threw a big chunk of hiclory for added aroma in the neighborhood. Last night it there was still a little lump left so I just rolled it under the patio and left it burn it self out. I just checked it and it looks like the oily stuff is all dried up. I'll give it a little scrub with a 3M pad to get the stuck on mess off and vac it out and it'll be ready to go again. May need to re-season the grate as it's nice and de-gunked. Nice to have a clean Keg!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: