Broil King Keg Forum
April 21, 2018, 08:45:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Goldens' Cast Iron Cooker  (Read 9598 times)
Shawn W
2x Hero of the Month, 5x Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2017, 12:14:47 AM »

I didn't have much time for the board today. The Golden's looks stellar! Your first cook looks excellent, wish I could have been there! You really can and should post your cooks in What's Cooking. We'll get the description of that forum renamed. Seriously, all are welcome.

It's a pretty exciting cooker you got there and thanks so much for sharing your experience with us!
lunchman
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Central Mass.

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2017, 03:06:14 AM »

I'll continue to post there when I can with stuff cooked on the Keg. Since this is Broil King's forum I don't want to run afoul of the rules.

Having been inactive in the forum for a few years it's good to be back. The activity level isn't as rabid as it once was and that's a shame. For me, taking pics of everything I grilled was getting old so I cut back but my grilling hasn't. I'm still out there 2, 3, 4 days a week. The Goldens' just adds to the fun again.

-Dom

Bubba Keg, Goldens' Cast Iron Cooker, Bayou Classic Cypress Ceramic, Thermos gas
bamabob
2X Hero of the Month ~ 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

my dog can't hold her licker

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2017, 06:52:47 PM »

Nice cooks, how is it similar/different from the keg?  Advantages/disadvantages?

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.
lunchman
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Central Mass.

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2017, 05:10:49 AM »

Nice cooks, how is it similar/different from the keg?  Advantages/disadvantages?

Grilling on it felt very natural, but that could simply be due to my experience in cooking on the Keg and BC all these years. With the exception of learning the vent controls to determine what temps they produce, not a ton of difference between it and cooking on the Keg.

I'm looking forward to bringing it up to higher temps for something like pizza. My only minor concern is the pie won't be at the gasket level unless I leave the grates in place, it'll be down about 2-3" (the height of the grate legs) if I use only the searing plate. No big deal, each cooker has its little nuances. I'll adjust.

Since I got the replacement cooker, they sent it with another searing plate and the normal set of grates. So now I have two searing plates and six half grates. The searing plate design seems to have changed, one has a slot in the center for the grate removal tool, the other is completely solid. And these can be used up or down, with one side having a lip. Nice design touch. I still need to season these. They are heavy beasts!

I think the Keg will have an advantage re: lump usage. The Keg has always been downright stingy when it comes to how much lump it burns. During my seasoning of the Goldens the other day, I did have to add some lump when it came time to grill dinner. But I'd started it early morning, and dinner was some 10 hours later. Plus, it's burning in, seasoning was going on and I hope lump usage isn't excessive. There's still a good amount of lump left in the firebox after I cooked dinner. An overnite low and slow will be the deciding factor, but there are reports on their Facebook page that overnites aren't an issue and it should do 14 or more hours. We'll see.

I do like the ability to flip the grates over to get closer to the fire. Like the Keg CI grate, the grates are thinner on the top side, wider on the bottom, so grill marks differ whether they're legs up or down, which is nice. (Not that I ever flipped my grate over in the Keg.)

Being able to remove a half grate and add lump or hardwood is a plus. Sometimes having to do this with the Keg meant balancing the grate with the food on it or removing all the food before picking it up.

I haven't used it yet with just the one cook under my belt, but the firebox divider for indirect cooks will be nice. When I do indirect on the Keg it necessitates use of the BGE platesetter.  Being able to have the coals on one side and the food on the other is a nice option. This was an optional accessory which I purchased and doesn't come standard.

Advantage goes to the Keg obviously if you want to take a grill tailgating. I've never done so with the Keg so portability to me isn't a huge concern.

I'll try to take some IR temp readings of the outside of the grills someday when I have them both running. I suspect the Keg will be cooler than the Goldens, but that's to be expected due to its double wall design and insulation vs. cast iron. As they say in the user guide, it's going to be hot, don't touch it.

-lunchman

Bubba Keg, Goldens' Cast Iron Cooker, Bayou Classic Cypress Ceramic, Thermos gas
Cajunate
4X Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2017, 05:45:29 AM »

As with a Keg or any other kamado cooker I'll suggest you consider getting a Kick Ash Basket for the new guy. I love mine and it really may help you since you're dealing with heavier parts with all being cast iron. Also as for juggling a loaded grill grate when adding lump or smoking wood... Get yourself one or two ThirdHand Grate Lifting and Hanging Tool  http://www.thirdeyeq.com/products---pricing.html . Kick Ash Basket Chad has a very similar tool also. I use mine every time I grill and they work on every grill I own.

"Good grillin' is like good lovin' "
  Just outside of New Orleans
glenn

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2017, 06:16:30 PM »

I myself love that cooker. I really like cast iron so that's probably part of it. If I could get one locally here in Canada I would be all over it. There will be more maintenance involved with it being an all cast iron unit and its likely going to use more fuel than a keg. Neither factor bothers me.

It looks to be made to a standard that could last generations! I hope you will keep us updated as time goes by and you use it more.

Glenn
lunchman
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Central Mass.

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2017, 06:20:51 PM »

Glenn, looks like they have dealers in Toronto and Vancouver.

So far the Goldens has been doing well,  I think I've used the poor Keg  once since getting it.  I've made use of the fire box divider for a nice reverse sear which turned out perfect. I still haven't grilled pizza on it nor have I done an overnight.  It does use a bit more lump than Bubba, but it's somewhat expected.  I'm not sure if an overnight would require some tending/ replenishing of the coals.  The BK certainly doesn't.

I'll try to post more cooks over here,  plans for tomorrow are a half turkey.

Dom

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: