Broil King Keg Forum
April 22, 2018, 12:02:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Goldens' Cast Iron Cooker  (Read 9615 times)
bkk bob
Superhero Member

S.W. Manitoba, Canada

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2017, 07:52:33 AM »

Wow is all i can say to that cooker  Shocked.Looks like a solid unit that will provide you you with many years of grilling.
lunchman
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Central Mass.

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2017, 01:17:14 PM »

An update. I wheeled the cooker out into the sunshine today and the damage to the powdercoating on the lid is more extensive than first seen in my garage. I emailed pictures to Goldens, received a call a few hours later that they're shipping me a replacement cooker next week. Exactly the sort of response I would expect from a first class company. Paying this much for a cooker I expect it to be perfect and so do they.

This cooker was supposed to arrive strapped to a pallet in a box, with their logo, etc. What I got was an amateur hacked packing job, with the unit sitting on a broken pallet. Obviously not how it's shipped from the factory.

So the first cook will have to wait until next week.

The folks at Goldens have been superb to deal with. I'll take pics of how the cooker is supposed to look when it arrives.

-lunchman

Bubba Keg, Goldens' Cast Iron Cooker, Bayou Classic Cypress Ceramic, Thermos gas
Shawn W
2x Hero of the Month, 5x Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2017, 06:49:10 PM »

It's really too bad your experience was marred by the delivery service. But, I'm very pleased to hear how well they are taking care of you.
lunchman
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Central Mass.

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2017, 12:27:37 PM »

The waiting is killing me. Scheduled to be delivered on Monday, it's here in Mass. at a trucking company depot.

Goldens had shipped out replacement/missing parts for the first cooker, prior to them deciding to replace it. Those arrived this week, along with a nice hat and t shirt. They also sent the daisy wheel vent which has been replaced in new cookers with a simple flat vent. I like the daisy wheel and will install it on mine. I can always switch them out if needed. I kept all the grates, sear plate, etc. No sense shipping it all down to Georgia and back here.

The damaged cooker was picked up on Tuesday. I trust the replacement will be in a shipping box as opposed to the way the first one was delivered.

The folks at Goldens have been superb to deal with. Numerous phone calls and emails back and forth wanting to ensure that I become a happy customer. I can't wait for the first cook. I'll keep you guys updated with progress.

-lunchman

Bubba Keg, Goldens' Cast Iron Cooker, Bayou Classic Cypress Ceramic, Thermos gas
ModernMan

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2017, 04:41:15 PM »

Sounds like triple A customer satisfaction, and rrlated positive word of mouth references is their motto.
lunchman
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Central Mass.

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2017, 06:43:30 PM »

In anticipation of tomorrow's arrival, I started seasoning the cast iron grates today. Washed them, dried them in a 250 degree oven, applied some EVOO and back into the oven where they are now. For the life of me, I could not remember how I seasoned the Bubba Keg grates back in 2010. I had to dig up the owner's manual in pdf format. Crisco, then out on the Keg at 400 or so.

I've changed my methods toward cast iron seasoning over the years, recalling some article on using Flaxseed Oil only, nothing else. Well, I dug out my seldom used bottle of Flaxseed oil that I'd used on many a CI pan - use before date was something like 2013. Guess I need to clean out the cupboard more often.  Cheesy Trash. Smelled terrible.

Lately I've been watching Kent Rollins YouTube videos and have been following his recommendations. He likes using EVOO, which I always have on hand. I like watching his videos, he's down to earth and entertaining.

Oddly the Goldens Owners Manual that came with the cooker says nothing about seasoning. Just wash the grates, put 'em in and grill. The temps and smoke will season them. We'll see if my seasoning method helps, it sure can't hurt.

These grates are heavy, too, each is about 10 pounds. Not sure if I mentioned that the grate diameter is 20.5". It's a good sized cooker.

Tomorrow nite I should be grilling on it.

ModernMan

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2017, 02:34:42 AM »

There certainly exist many different opinions on which oil or grease to season kitchen-utensil CI with, and why .

I'm not an oil or polymerization chemist or expert; however, I've easily & unwittingly, burned off CI seasoning on the Keg grate, during high-heat, pizza cooks or sears.

Otoh, low/slow cooks on th Keg, don't seem to similarly burn off CI seasoning - no matter which oil or grease source used for seasoning.

Shawn W
2x Hero of the Month, 5x Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2017, 10:02:35 AM »

Flaxseed is supposed to be the best seasoning oil:
http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

At the same time I agree with Modern Man. Flipping between pizza cooks and low and slows, all of that hard seasoning work can be gone in a single cook. I even give my grates a shot of Pam sometimes after a HH cook, just so as not to leave them dry.

It would be nice to have SS or plated or PCI grates for the HH stuff, and keep the CI grates for the grilling and below stuff.

First cook: a big load of 80/20 burgers has always been my maiden run on a new cooker ... let's get it all greased up  Grin
SmallBBQr

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2017, 01:02:53 PM »

+1 to what the others have said.

In a Kamado, seasoning cast iron is a bit of a hit/miss as if you are doing high-temp runs, the seasoning will likely burn right off anyways.

Between numerous burger cooks, splattering chicken bit, cooking spray etc, I NEVER seasoned and grates were very non-stick, never rusted, and went from heavily coated to bare metal depending on the day.

After a high-temp cook, I would always give them a spray though....

Kick Ash Divide & Conquer Kegger
lunchman
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Central Mass.

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2017, 03:09:03 PM »

Replacement arrived today, this one looks good. In a box, strapped to a pallet.

Due to an unforeseen home maintenance emergency today, no time to make dinner on it, but I am burning it in. I want to get any factory oils burned off before I actually grill on it. It's up to about 450 at the moment. Tomorrow night I'll do my first cook.

They did include another set of grates (now I have 6 half grates), another searing plate and another vent lid. So I've got plenty of extra parts.

-lunchman

lunchman
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Central Mass.

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2017, 04:40:43 PM »

After letting it season from around 7 am with temps holding steady around 350 from mid morning to mid afternoon, it was time to start grilling. A lone pork loin wasn't going to suffice. I added lump, opened the vents a bit and brought temps up to about 425.

I racked the grates, one high, one low, since I wanted to get a nice sear on the CAB top round I'd picked up. Plenty of room on the upper grate for the pork loin and roasted carrots in my CI casserole, potatoes on the lower grate -

Added the CAB top round steak -

And plated, rare just the way I like it -

The pork loin is tomorrow nite's dinner -

All in all, I'm quite pleased with the purchase. Lots of room on the grates, the ability to go legs up or legs down with them is a plus. It holds temps quite well. At some point over the next few weeks I'll try an overnight low n slow, we'll see how it compares to the Bubba Keg which is downright stingy on its lump use, easily going 16 hours. That'll be tough to match but I'll put the Goldens to the test.

With the smaller cart with handles only, there's obviously no place to put plates, hang utensils, etc. but that was a conscious decision on my part. I've got plans to build a barbeque table between the two grills, matching a patio set I recently built.

I closed the vents to shut it down for the nite, temps are dropping as expected.

I'm impressed with this cooker and it's nice to finally get to use it.

-lunchman

Dataspaz
Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Frisco, Texas

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2017, 04:46:41 PM »

Wow!! That thing looks impressive. Is the temp gauge as large as it looks in the pic? Dinner looks good.

Run......  Run......... Dive!!!!!!!!
lunchman
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Central Mass.

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2017, 04:56:56 PM »

The thermo diameter is 3.25".   It's a good size.

There's about a 75-100 degree difference between dome and grate temps, but I'm used to that with Bubba.

Dataspaz
Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Frisco, Texas

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2017, 05:00:21 PM »

Very nice. I have to say I am a bit envious Grin

Run......  Run......... Dive!!!!!!!!
lunchman
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Central Mass.

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2017, 06:41:31 PM »

It's going to be fun to use. I was just on their Facebook page, they're out at the National Hardware Show in Vegas, posting some videos. Ed Boyd, one of the VPs who has been in touch with me directly due to the shipping snafus is manning the video camera. I've gotta say, their videos are fun to watch.

One thing they're showing and I want to try is a reverse sear, with the divider in place, charcoal on one side and the grates stacked one low (direct side), one high (indirect). Cook indirect first and then do the reverse sear at the end. That's why I bought the divider plate. I'll get there and am looking forward to more cooks on it. it's brought back the fun in grilling. Not that Bubba was getting old or stale....

Bubba will continue to be used, it's not being put out to pasture.

Ribs, chicken, steaks, turkeys, lobster, etc. It's all in the cards for future cooks.

-lunchman

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: