Broil King Keg Forum
July 18, 2018, 09:30:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Goldens' Cast Iron Cooker  (Read 9902 times)
lunchman
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Central Mass.

« on: April 14, 2017, 06:01:24 PM »

As mentioned in one of the other threads, my 7 yr old Bayou Classic ceramic bit the dust last weekend with a cracked lid. Bayou Classic no longer sells these cookers or stocks replacement parts, so it's time for a replacement. My Bubba Keg of the same vintage (2010) is still going strong.

What to get? I honestly didn't want another ceramic, so that ruled out most of the Kamados. The aluminum Blaze, the Stainless Steel Caliber, the Akorn and a replacement Broil King Keg were contenders. A Google search turned up the Goldens Cast Iron. I was intrigued, did some research, called the company, have emailed back and forth with them and placed an order this week. I'm psyched! When it arrives in hopefully two weeks I'll post pictures, my impressions, some initial cooks, etc.

The one feature I like is the ability to split the firebox and cook indirect, so I ordered the optional firebox divider. I also ordered a spare set of grates, which should allow me to stack one set on the other for things like ribs, thin chicken, chops, etc. The cast iron grates are actually half grates with feet, allowing them to be placed feet up to be closer to the fire, feet down or stacked. It also comes with a cast iron searing plate (would be used instead of a platesetter), which can also be grilled on.

www.goldenscastiron.com is their website.

This should be a good complement to Bubba and I'm looking forward to receiving it. Yeah, it's pricey, but not much more than a BGE outfitted with nest and shelves. And I'm worth it.  Smiley Still grilling like a madman.

I'm getting the smaller cart, will build a nice table to place between the two grills. Honestly, I thought of living with just the Bubba Keg, but there are so many times when I need a second grill (preaching to the choir here). Not sure if anyone else here in New England owns one, I may be the first.

-Dom

Bubba Keg, Goldens' Cast Iron Cooker, Bayou Classic Cypress Ceramic, Thermos gas
Shawn W
2x Hero of the Month, 5x Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 11:36:51 PM »

... I'm in no rush, Bubba is still alive and kicking and grilling as well as it ever has.

-Dom
You moved on from 'in no rush' pretty quick  Grin

Gratz man! I'm super stoked for you and eager to hear all about it and your cooking adventures, I hope you continue to post here!

In contrast to the invincibility of the thing I wonder about a few aspects:
  • I think you will need longer to heat it up to get the same kamado results as the keg
  • I think you will use 2 -3 times as much fuel for the same kamado results as the keg (which isn't saying much as the keg is so miserly)
  • Finally, I think you might be able to fry an egg on top (outside)when it's rolling along at 500ºF plus internal

I'd love to hear any feedback on my assumptions as I have never used a CI kamado!

Cajunate
4X Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 07:37:51 AM »

Cool! I'd keep it out of the rain!

"Good grillin' is like good lovin' "
  Just outside of New Orleans
lunchman
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Central Mass.

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 12:12:49 PM »

You moved on from 'in no rush' pretty quick  Grin

Gratz man! I'm super stoked for you and eager to hear all about it and your cooking adventures, I hope you continue to post here!

In contrast to the invincibility of the thing I wonder about a few aspects:
  • I think you will need longer to heat it up to get the same kamado results as the keg
  • I think you will use 2 -3 times as much fuel for the same kamado results as the keg (which isn't saying much as the keg is so miserly)
  • Finally, I think you might be able to fry an egg on top (outside)when it's rolling along at 500ºF plus internal

I'd love to hear any feedback on my assumptions as I have never used a CI kamado!

Once I got my mind set on what I wanted...  It's going to be nice having a new grill.

We'll see how much lump it uses, how well it does overniters, etc. What I could find on other forums re: performance, how hot the outside will get, etc. was mostly conjecture. I'm taking a bit of a risk with this, but I did with both Bubba and the Cypress too. There was a lot of the same re: the aluminum and stainless steel kamados; everyone has theories and opinions, but the facts will come out from owning one. I'm sure I'll be making use of my Thermoworks IR to take external temps. 

As far as leaving it out in the rain, well it's powder coated and hopefully that will protect it. I plan on covering it when not in use like I have my other grills.

Bubba Keg, Goldens' Cast Iron Cooker, Bayou Classic Cypress Ceramic, Thermos gas
Shawn W
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 03:42:30 AM »

Once I got my mind set on what I wanted...  It's going to be nice having a new grill.

We'll see how much lump it uses, how well it does overniters, etc. What I could find on other forums re: performance, how hot the outside will get, etc. was mostly conjecture. I'm taking a bit of a risk with this, but I did with both Bubba and the Cypress too. There was a lot of the same re: the aluminum and stainless steel kamados; everyone has theories and opinions, but the facts will come out from owning one. I'm sure I'll be making use of my Thermoworks IR to take external temps. 

As far as leaving it out in the rain, well it's powder coated and hopefully that will protect it. I plan on covering it when not in use like I have my other grills.
Awesome Lunchman, I hope you keep us posted!
bel4_20
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 05:02:30 AM »

I know you said you didn't want another ceramic however Kamado Joe is a fantastic product with an outstanding warranty (lifetime) I couldn't be happier and talk about temperature control! its so easy on the ceramic no temp controller needed. So as long as you don't drop it or knock it over its covered. I cannot say enough about Kamado Joe.

Here's to alcohol: The source of, and answer to, all of life's problems. --Homer Simpson
lunchman
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Central Mass.

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 11:04:37 AM »

Yep, I've heard good things about the Kamado Joe, it would have been in my list of contenders. It's not that I move the grills at all, they've sat in the same place on my deck for the past seven years. 

I figured out the cause of the lid crack on the Cypress. The hinge mechanism had become misaligned and the springs were exerting unequal forces on the band. Had I realized it soon enough and adjusted the band, the crack wouldn't have occurred. So it goes. As an experiment I might try some JB Weld on the lid, but I'm not overly hopeful that it will work.

In the meantime I've got a nice Easter ham smoking away on Bubba, but today's one of those days where a second grill would be of great use.

bel4_20
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 01:45:30 PM »

Yep, I've heard good things about the Kamado Joe, it would have been in my list of contenders. It's not that I move the grills at all, they've sat in the same place on my deck for the past seven years. 

I figured out the cause of the lid crack on the Cypress. The hinge mechanism had become misaligned and the springs were exerting unequal forces on the band. Had I realized it soon enough and adjusted the band, the crack wouldn't have occurred. So it goes. As an experiment I might try some JB Weld on the lid, but I'm not overly hopeful that it will work.

In the meantime I've got a nice Easter ham smoking away on Bubba, but today's one of those days where a second grill would be of great use.

Good Stuff!

Here's to alcohol: The source of, and answer to, all of life's problems. --Homer Simpson
lunchman
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Central Mass.

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 04:14:49 PM »

The new toy arrived today! On a pallet, I put together a quick ramp and unloaded it in the garage. Weighs a ton! OK, 460 lbs to be exact, with the cart.

Here it is on the cart -

Cast iron firebox with the optional removable divider for indirect grilling -

Split grates and one of the two spares which can be stacked for items like ribs. With the legs up the grates are closer to the fire -

Searing plate / diffuser -

Lower vent -

Thermometer -

No cooks yet, still sitting in my garage. It was missing one screw to attach the upper vent to the lid so I'll need to call them. The only surprise is the upper vent swings open to the side, pictures on their website seem to indicate it swings open AND rotates, so perhaps there was a design change.

Next hurdle is to get it out to the back deck, I've got one step to navigate, might use the makeshift ramp again just to be safe.

I'll post updates when I get to the first cook.

A very impressive cooker!

-lunchman

Dataspaz
Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Frisco, Texas

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 04:21:09 PM »

That thing looks badass! I am anxious to see how it does. you might look into the BGE top to see if it fits.

https://smokeware.com/collections/chimney-caps

Run......  Run......... Dive!!!!!!!!
lunchman
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Central Mass.

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 05:17:27 PM »

I'm anxious to cook on it! Won't be tomorrow due to a forecast of rain, I don't want to deal with wheeling this sucker outside in those conditions. I know it will get a workout this weekend.

Those vent tops look interesting. I'll see what the company says about the design change from the pics on their website when I call in the morning. As previously mentioned, I'll take some IR temps of the outside once I start grilling with it, but it's going to take some doing to transfer heat from the firebox which is quite thick to the outside, especially since there's an insulating area of air. We'll see.

They've got quite a few videos on their Facebook page of all sorts of cooks they do in Columbus GA where they're located. Those videos convinced me that this was the replacement for the Bayou Classic.

I'm sure, as it was with Bubba, there will be a slight learning experience to get used to it, but at this point in my grilling career I'm a seasoned pro!

Shawn W
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 02:53:53 PM »

wow .... just wow! 450 lbs Shocked did you have go pick it up from a terminal or was it delivered to your house? UPS/Fedex sure won't deliver something like that here.
lunchman
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Central Mass.

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 04:47:20 PM »

Delivered to my house via eighteen wheeler.  It turns out that the shipping company did some damage to the cooker by unboxing it and placing it on their own pallet. The damage is minor and being taken care of by Goldens. They've been in touch with me by phone three times today to make sure I'll be happy with the cooker. Why it was unboxed we have no idea. It's got a broken caster wheel that can easily be replaced, which they're sending me pronto. They're also providing the "old" style Daisy wheel vent top which was replaced via a design change to the flat style that shipped with my unit. I'll experiment with both.

The folks at Goldens are standing behind their product 100%. They've been in business as a foundry since 1882 through five generations. Their Customer Service department has been outstanding and I don't ever recall getting a call from a Vice President to make sure the resolution is to my satisfaction, but I did today. I wasn't expecting this level of service. It's a breath of fresh air these days to find a company and people who care and want to make things right.

The fact that the company has been in business for so long, plus this cooker being made in the USA were the main reasons I chose it. And it being cast iron helped immensely as well. Their slogan: "Welcome to the Iron Age"

I hope the parts arrive tomorrow, I can replace the broken wheel and get the unit out onto my back deck. Then the cooks will begin. Bubba may be taking a backseat for a while. Sorry, Bubba.

I keep going down to the garage and opening it!  Hopefully tomorrow it will get its initial burn-in and dinner will be on the table. 

-Dom

ModernMan

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 06:07:41 PM »

Sounds like they're a class act company, who understand the importance of creating/encouraging loyal customers...
Cajunate
4X Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 07:15:24 AM »

Cool! I guess it won't rust through for a few years.  Grin

"Good grillin' is like good lovin' "
  Just outside of New Orleans
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: