Broil King Keg Forum
January 17, 2018, 10:38:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flank steak with chimichurri sauce and asparagus  (Read 4994 times)
Ricky Bobby
« on: August 05, 2009, 06:01:53 AM »

Made my first flank steak on the grill for dinner last night.  My family ate in complete silence, which means they liked it!

This meal came together quickly, mostly because I made the sauce while the grill was heating up.  I made some asparagus while the meat was resting, so from start to finish I had food on the table in about 45 minutes (my wife pulled the steak out of the fridge before I got home and made some instant mashed potatoes while I was grilling).

The flank steak was just seasoned with salt and pepper and cooked at 700* for about 4 minutes per side.

The asparagus was seasoned with EVOO, salt and pepper and cooked at 700* until I started to get some charring around the outside.

I served the flank steak on a chimichurri sauce, which was incredible.  Here's the recipe:

Chimichurri Sauce

1 bunch cilantro
1 bunch parsley
 Serrano pepper, seeded with membrane removed
2 cloves garlic
 cup extra virgin olive oil
2  tablespoons red wine vinegar
 teaspoon cumin
 teaspoon salt (or to taste)

Whirl in a blender till smooth

Boat-n-BBQ
2x BKCG Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Go fast ~ Cook slow... Marietta, GA

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 07:38:15 AM »

R~B, thanks for the grocery list.  I'll be trying these tonight!  I've wanted to do something with cilantro and this looks easy to reproduce...

BTW, those are awesome pics!!!

BKCG's SN#389 (salt) at the lake  SN#1686 (pepper) On permanent loan to SIL
BSK's SN#5045, SN#6278, SN#6403, SN#6990 (The competition fleet) Powered by BBQ Guru DigiQ's!
KCBS/CBJ   http://www.facebook.com/boatnbbq
Ricky Bobby
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 07:40:17 AM »

Thanks!

I spent about $2 total for the sauce (parsley, cilantro, serrano, garlic), so it wasn't terribly expensive to make.  It made about 1 1/2 cups of sauce, which is enough for 5 steaks!

Fortunately it keeps pretty well and goes with everything.  We even mixed it into our mashed potatoes.
Shawn W
2x Hero of the Month, 5x Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 09:16:28 AM »

Looks Great Ricky, nice job on the steak! I love chimichurri.

Here's a pic of what mine looks like on a grilled portabella:

I don't blend mine, I meticulously pull all the leaves off leaving out as much stem as possible (to avoid it feeling like eating grass), then chop it all superfine by hand. Lots of work but well worth the effort. Mine has no cilantro in it (but I'm going to try that), fresh oregano leaves, white wine vinegar, bay leaves (remove after a day or two). I like to make it a day ahead if I can.

Try basting it on the meat right after the last flip.
Ricky Bobby
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 09:22:58 AM »

Shawn W
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »

What are the red specks?
I use some freeze dried red jalapenos (can't ever find red jalapenos here) and/or some red bell pepper

oohh, marinading a pork tenderloin in it is gonna be so good
NautiDesign

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 06:01:40 AM »

So is there any special technique to remove saliva stains off of my computer screen?
Lando
BKCG Hero of the Month

Roswell GA

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 01:44:42 PM »

If I didn't despise cilantro that would look tasty
Shawn W
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 02:42:11 PM »

If I didn't despise cilantro that would look tasty

Sub an equal amount of parsley for the cilantro in Ricky's recipe, or here's mine:
Bunch fresh parsley (about a generous half-ounce/20g), leaves only, chopped
1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano leaves
1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
Half tsp sea salt
Small red chilli, finely chopped, or a pinch of chilli flakes
1 spring onion (white part only) finely chopped
4tbsp olive oil
1tbsp wine vinegar
Mix all the ingredients together with a generous grinding of black pepper.

**Recipe source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/main.jhtml?xml=/globa...2/edbbq12.xml&page=4

Comments
I used white wine vinegar, freeze dried red japs, two green onions in place of the spring onion, some lemon juice and a couple whole bay leaves (remove after a day or two).

Make a day or two ahead. Refrigerate.

Can be used cold, my favourite way to use it so far is to put it on steaks while being grilled, immediately after the flip so it gets warmed up some.

Dried oregano is ok to sub, but fresh is nice. Don't think I would try it with dried parsley. I remember making pesto with dried parsley one time and it was just nasty.
The proportions can vary a lot, use a little more vinegar/lemon juice for a marinade for example. I usually use more garlic than called for, make it to your own taste.
Boat-n-BBQ
2x BKCG Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Go fast ~ Cook slow... Marietta, GA

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 02:28:52 PM »

Thanks R~B this was good!

BKCG's SN#389 (salt) at the lake  SN#1686 (pepper) On permanent loan to SIL
BSK's SN#5045, SN#6278, SN#6403, SN#6990 (The competition fleet) Powered by BBQ Guru DigiQ's!
KCBS/CBJ   http://www.facebook.com/boatnbbq
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: