Broil King Keg Forum
August 23, 2017, 08:56:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canadians: Master Chef Lump at Canadian Tire  (Read 1657 times)
Shawn W
2x Hero of the Month, 4x Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« on: February 15, 2017, 04:14:31 PM »

I was at CT today and they had Master Chef lump and briquettes.  Master Chef is CT brand and though I don't know who is making it for them the volume of the lump bags is large for the weight (fluffy lump), so the lump would seem to be like other maple lump brands Basques and Maple Leaf. I think there is a good chance one of those two is making it for CT.

The prices were reasonable. I didn't buy any today instead scoring two bags of Maple Leaf lump at half price because they were torn.  Grin

I'm kind of excited about the potential of this. If the stuff is any good, and they keep it in stock, given that CT is such a large nationwide chain it will be a new option for those of us in small towns without a bbq specialty store.

There was also a 17.5lb bag of lump for $19.99
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 04:56:46 PM by Shawn W » Logged
SmallBBQr

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 09:58:07 AM »

Thanks for the heads up...something to try.

I've also been keeping a close eye on Amazon as well for Kebroak, Quebracho or Fogo to get to a reasonable price for Prime.  I'm down to my last 4-5 bags of those....

Kick Ash Divide & Conquer Kegger
ModernMan

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 12:35:24 PM »

Thanks for sharing.
Just checked now.
Same (regular) price (19.99$/17.5kg) in Montreal for the MasterChef 100% Natural Hardwood Lump Charcoal at CT.
Will wait to see what it costs when on special, since I've still got a stash of Basques 100% natural hardwood  lump scored for 13$/17.5kg.

Shawn W
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 02:06:39 PM »

Thanks for the heads up...something to try.

I've also been keeping a close eye on Amazon as well for Kebroak, Quebracho or Fogo to get to a reasonable price for Prime.  I'm down to my last 4-5 bags of those....
NP. Let's just hope it isn't Royal Oak Blue bag Star Grilling in a different package  Grin
Shawn W
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 02:08:19 PM »

Thanks for sharing.
Just checked now.
Same (regular) price (19.99$/17.5kg) in Montreal for the MasterChef 100% Natural Hardwood Lump Charcoal at CT.
Will wait to see what it costs when on special, since I've still got a stash of Basques 100% natural hardwood  lump scored for 13$/17.5kg.

I think you mean 8kg/17.5lbs. Great deal you got on the Basque's.
Walrus

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 07:05:28 PM »

That's the regular rate at Costco in the summer for Basques.

I prefer the Maple Leaf lump, better smell and size of chunks. Lowes occasionally has them for buy one full price $17.99, get one 50% off, works out about the same.
ModernMan

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 06:40:40 AM »

Yup , regular Costco price for Basques in the summer is $12.99 for 8kg (17.5lbs).

Unfortunately, no Lowes in Quebec yet, so at least for now, the Costco Basques lump is my "go to / good enough"  maple charcoal.

Bluther2

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 11:07:28 AM »

Has anyone in the west seen lump at Costco? I have not, darn.
Shawn W
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 04:59:52 PM »

I did once in Calgary, 4 or 5 years ago they had some basques. I'm in Olds now so Lowes, Costco and Home Depot are all about an hour highway drive for me ... but we have a CT here which is why I'm hoping this lump is any good.
SmallBBQr

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 08:19:17 PM »

Nope...not a once.  I live in the centre of three different Costco stores and visit all of them fairly regularly.  Have yet to see lump once.  I'm down to my last 4-5 bags - 1 Fogo, 1 Quebracho, 1 Maple Leaf, and one of something else (can't remember)....so starting to think about what to do here in the next while with summer coming fast!

Kick Ash Divide & Conquer Kegger
glenn

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 08:12:05 PM »

Its on sale now for $15 / 8kg. Bought a bag tonight and will try it out over the next few weeks. It would be interesting to know who is making this for them.  So far here in Edmonton Kamado Joe Lump from Lowes is my personal favourite. Kinda pricey though. I really like Basques too but have found the product varies in size greatly from bag to bag.

I have not seen decent prices on Amazon.ca for lump in at least a year.

Glenn
bel4_20
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 01:36:49 PM »

Thanks for the heads up!

Here's to alcohol: The source of, and answer to, all of life's problems. --Homer Simpson
glenn

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 05:53:38 PM »

I have run though about 3 cooks with this stuff. So far I would say that there is probably nothing really wrong with it but its nothing special. Not very dense and lots of small pieces in the bag I got. I will probably use it in my Smokey Joe for fast grilling.

Not sure this would be great for long cooks. Anyone else tried it yet?

Glenn
glenn

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 06:05:29 PM »

As I get down further into the bag there are actually some decent sized pieces. No foreign material found, smells ok too.

Glenn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: