Broil King Keg Forum
January 17, 2018, 08:41:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lump Charcoal - Canada  (Read 14916 times)
SmallBBQr

« on: February 09, 2017, 12:07:51 PM »

Not having much luck finding any decent lump charcoal (for a reasonable price that is) in Alberta (Edmonton), but ran across this add if you are in Ontario (Whitby).

http://www.kijiji.ca/b-ontario/lump-charcoal/k0l9004

Kick Ash Divide & Conquer Kegger
Shawn W
2x Hero of the Month, 5x Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 01:32:08 PM »

Not having much luck finding any decent lump charcoal (for a reasonable price that is) in Alberta (Edmonton), but ran across this add if you are in Ontario (Whitby).

http://www.kijiji.ca/b-ontario/lump-charcoal/k0l9004

Try Canadian Tire or Wal-Mart for Nature's Own lump. I like the mesquite. Of what you posted I love Draon Breath and I have used some Wicked Good (pun intended) South American lump brands. Is BBQ Country Still alive in Edmonton?
Bluther2

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 06:40:46 PM »

Check Amazon.ca too. My last 320lbs have been fogo and quebracho........it will go down to a dollar a pound on occasion and I load up.
SmallBBQr

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 10:32:00 AM »

Apparently, some Canadian Costco branches have Dragon's Breath on....

Sadly, I've never seen lump at our Edmonton stores.

Not my picture...plucked from a reddit BBQ forum post.

ModernMan

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 12:50:22 PM »

Basques Maple at Costco in Quebec works pretty good for me - and at a decent price.

Perhaps this year they'll be offering Dragon's breath instead over here also...
Walrus

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 05:34:35 PM »

Dragon's breath is now from Mexico, and not recommended.. sparks galore etc. Ontario Gas BBQ/barbecueworld dropped it. I wait until Lowes has BOGO on Maple Leaf Lump and stock up.
SmallBBQr

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 11:46:44 AM »

Good to know...thanks for the info.

Shawn W
2x Hero of the Month, 5x Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 04:20:56 PM »

Dragon's breath is now from Mexico, and not recommended.. sparks galore etc. Ontario Gas BBQ/barbecueworld dropped it. I wait until Lowes has BOGO on Maple Leaf Lump and stock up.
Everybody gets it wrong it's actually named Dragon Breath.  Grin

That sounds like a serious bummer, it was one my favs. I'll still try a bag of the stuff from Mexico though.
bel4_20
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 04:59:26 AM »

I agree I bought a bag last year to try it out (and was warned about it last year) and its true its not good at all, the price is but even at that price I won't buy it. I have no idea why Costco Canada stopped carrying the green and white bag stuff (sugar maple) it was very good and smelled fantastic!

Here's to alcohol: The source of, and answer to, all of life's problems. --Homer Simpson
ModernMan

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 11:45:31 AM »

Maybe bc theyre now re-distributing all those green/white bags (Basques maple) in Quebec ?
 Wink
bkk bob
Superhero Member

S.W. Manitoba, Canada

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 09:37:18 AM »

Was buying Kebroak from amazon.ca but price has gone crazy,was just over a $1.00 a lb delivered,now its ridiculous.Last stuff i bought was Maple leaf from Canadian tire it worked out to $1.38 a lb,so far it seems to be good stuff.
SmallBBQr

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 01:24:05 PM »

Thanks for the update.  Yes, last couple years I have stocked up from Amazon but little available now.  I've been watching Canadian Tire for prices hoping for a sale.  So far, no go.

I was just at Barbecue Country (Edmonton) at lunch today and pretty well everything is around $2/pound.  Crazy.   I did pick up a box of Coconut Charcoal though as I wanted to try it out.  22 pounds for $37.

McRoots

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 06:39:17 PM »

I used a bag of dragon breath this past winter. I don't recall it giving off crazy sparks. Didn't mean it didn't however.

Overall, I loved it. Smelled good and had the biggest chunks of lump I've ever seen.  Expensive though.

I use Maple Leaf the most. It seems to be the most available near me and the price is right. It can be frustrating; however, as a bag usually has a lot of really small pieces.
SmallBBQr

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 07:37:06 AM »

Anyone have any recent experience with Kamado Joe charcoal?  Not sure if the Canadian product is the same/different than the USA product or it all comes from the same place.

I just noticed if you go to the lowes.ca web site, if you give them your email, they will give you a $10 coupon if you spend $50.

Kamado Joe lump is on for $25.99 for 20 pounds...so I figure I could get two bags (40 pounds) for $42 (after coupon), so not a horrible price if the product is good.

I have more than 1 email address as well, so if it is one coupon per email, I could do this 2-3 times and stock up for some of the summer...

bel4_20
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2017, 01:59:26 PM »

Yup! bought 6 bags in the summer at the Costco road show when i purchased my Big Joe its fantastic stuff! huge pieces. I wish there was going to be another Road show in Canada just for the charcoal unfortunately there won't be one in Canada. But go for it its good stuff!

Here's to alcohol: The source of, and answer to, all of life's problems. --Homer Simpson
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: