Broil King Keg Forum
January 21, 2018, 01:25:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pizza-porta on Big Steel Keg  (Read 5382 times)
vandesarzio

« on: January 31, 2017, 07:58:05 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydqDZRJGoCA&ab_channel=JasonWebb

Not my video, but here's a guy using the pizza porta oven converter for BGE on his keg. I can't wait to try it out.
Cajunate
4X Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 05:09:50 AM »

That guy doesn't know what he's doing!  Grin You can't do that!!!!! Lol.......

"Good grillin' is like good lovin' "
  Just outside of New Orleans
bel4_20
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 03:15:55 PM »

Grin... hahaa!

Here's to alcohol: The source of, and answer to, all of life's problems. --Homer Simpson
vandesarzio

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 01:07:30 PM »

I posted this because I actually just bought one of these contraptions.

I've made pizza on the keg many times but back in school I used to work at a slice shop and was never quite happy with the keg performance as a pizza oven compared to the Blodgett's we used to use. The problem is that when you lift the lid to put the pizza on you lose all the heat. You really need that hot air in the top of the oven to finish a pizza properly before the crust is done.

I was kind of designing a similar contraption in my head when I found the pizza-porta.
bamabob
2X Hero of the Month ~ 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

my dog can't hold her licker

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 05:34:58 PM »

I posted this because I actually just bought one of these contraptions.

I've made pizza on the keg many times but back in school I used to work at a slice shop and was never quite happy with the keg performance as a pizza oven compared to the Blodgett's we used to use. The problem is that when you lift the lid to put the pizza on you lose all the heat. You really need that hot air in the top of the oven to finish a pizza properly before the crust is done.

I was kind of designing a similar contraption in my head when I found the pizza-porta.

Hi Vandesarzio,
Thanks for the post, I like the concept. I'd like to see some pizzas done with this.  Seems like the main attraction is doing many pizzas in a row with consistent results.  I've watched what videos I could find and so far haven't been impressed with what I saw as far as the finished product.  But then again there aren't many videos I could find with finished results.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG18p2Z0ugU

The link you posted in the OP is none other than this forum's RG, unusual for him not to post his opinion or show a finished product.  He has cooked pizzas in a variety of ways.  Here's a pizza done on the keg, this is how I like them for what it's worth.  Is this different than what the Pizza-Porta is reputed to do?  

http://forum.bigsteelkeg.com/index.php?topic=15202.0

I have to agree that opening the lid on the keg allows the heat to escape, I've compensated for this by closing off the top vent after a few minutes on the keg.  Then when opening the lid the temp recovers quickly as long as a blazing rolling lava looking fire is happening down below.  I seldom do multiple pizzas on the keg but I have noticed diminishing results as more pizzas are put on.  The stone continues to rise in temp and the dome will lose heat.  I've learned that keeping the stone higher up will help prevent it from overheating from not being right above the fire, using a baking steel as a diffuser, along with the BK diffuser down below helps deflect heat around the edges, up and around the the stone to brown the top, and closing the vent keeps that deflected heat radiating down onto the top.  Opening the lid to check on the pizza or put the next one on along with the bottom vent all wide open keeps the fire blazing for these fast cook pizzas.   I'd like to see your results and opinions with the Pizza-Porta, looks like a $300 accessory, you think it is worth the price?  I like to check out gadgets if they serve their reputed purpose.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 01:46:54 PM by bamabob » Logged

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.
RG

Life's What You Make It - Make It Great

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 09:56:19 PM »

Yep, been there done that. I guess my post in tools & gadgets got missed. Summary. Neat idea, needs a few tweaks but works as is. Is it worth the price? That's highly subjective. I never went over that in my review, I wasn't asked to cover price. Just to use it and see how well it worked. It works but it's not needed unless you plan on slinging a lot of pizzas out for guests then it's a great tool. If you're doing one or two pizzas, well.....$300.00 for an add on for an already expensive Kamado doesn't make much sense to me and those who know me KNOW I like gadgets. I think it would be a solid buy at half the price but that's just me. For $300.00 I can (and did) buy a whole self contained pizza oven, the UUNI 2S and I am a big fan of what it can do. I wish Pizza-Porta much success and hope he can quit his day job and sell a million of them!

BBQ & Friends. What else do you need? Beer? Okay. Beer, BBQ & Friends! Dilly Dilly!
Shawn W
2x Hero of the Month, 5x Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 12:05:57 PM »

I don't understand the need for this gadget on a keg ... I think I can do pretty awesome pizza on my keg.

Handmade 16" pie done on the top rack:

SmallBBQr

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 01:40:52 PM »

OK Shawn....I think that was totally a photoshopped/staged pizza!!  Looks too freakin' perfect to me....  Wink

Damn...now I want pizza! Angry

Kick Ash Divide & Conquer Kegger
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: