Broil King Keg Forum
August 19, 2017, 05:15:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Broken Cast Iron Grill  (Read 2710 times)
McRoots

« on: January 17, 2017, 03:49:07 PM »

So, in the dead of winter here, I dropped my cold cast iron grill on the garage floor. It's now basically in 2 pieces.

Just here for a few of your thoughts. If it were you, would you replace it or get another grill grate?
bamabob
2X Hero of the Month ~ 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

my dog can't hold her licker

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 04:17:31 AM »

I'd replace it.  Some on here have found a way to use their broken grate.  Allows a way to remove half to add more lump or wood chunks....

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.
Shawn W
2x Hero of the Month, 4x Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 11:04:00 AM »

That sucks. I personally would replace it. I love CI grates, you can flip the keg CI grate over and cook on the flats for an awesome contact finish.
Cajunate
4X Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 01:57:35 PM »

I'll throw this out there well, just because.......
You CAN get a stainless grate if you search online but it will not fit exactly like the BK cast iron grate. You can get something custom made but it WILL cost you more. Going that route you won't have to worry about it breaking again though. A good heavy stainless grate is really nice to grill on and it won't rust.

"Good grillin' is like good lovin' "
  Just outside of New Orleans
McRoots

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 04:53:43 AM »

I'll throw this out there well, just because.......
You CAN get a stainless grate if you search online but it will not fit exactly like the BK cast iron grate. You can get something custom made but it WILL cost you more. Going that route you won't have to worry about it breaking again though. A good heavy stainless grate is really nice to grill on and it won't rust.

I have to admit the idea of going stainless steel is something I thought of because of the rust issue. Easier to maintain.

I'm off to my somewhat local BBQ shop today where I got my Keg to get another grill. They also sell lots of other makes too so I'll look into whether any of their grills fit and if not, I'll pick up a the same as before.

McRoots

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 06:18:05 AM »

I ended up just replacing the original cast iron grill. My local shop didn't have any other grills that fit well.

Expensive mistake... cost me $80 CAD plus tax.
Khammitte

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 02:56:59 AM »

The cast iron is not very sturdy.   I ordered a replacement from Lowe's, who had the best price,  after I dropped my mine on the patio.   The new one arrived also broken.  I called Lowes who told me I needed to take the pieces to a Lowe's store to get a replacement or refund.   What kind of business model is that?   I ordered online because I don't want to drive to Lowe's.

Keith
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: