Broil King Keg Forum
June 19, 2018, 09:27:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Controller  (Read 7986 times)
PascL
Keg Hero Of The Month - 3x Throwdown Champion

« on: January 02, 2017, 09:09:29 AM »

Happy New Years all, been a while!
Hunting for best electric temp controller for keg 4000, but not interested in drilling or permanent mods.
I have decent/good success with TTT but not reliable or confident for overnights with it. Last time I did an overnight my maverick woke me up 5 times because temp was too low, almost lost my fire.
Lots of you seem to use them so what are your opinions!

Cookin' in the cold
PascL

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 09:12:03 AM »

Reposted under "before you buy"

Cookin' in the cold
SmallBBQr

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 10:14:11 AM »

Nothing to compare it against as I have used nothing else, but I have a Pitmaster IQ120 and love it.  Other than 1 probe that failed after about 2 years of use, never had any other issue.  Easy to use and very accurate as long as you bring it up to temp slowly.  I purchased a couple new probes and also sealed the probe-to-cable area with food safe silicon based on another member's recommendation here.  Moisure may be able to slowly get in there.

I also have a TTT, but it has never worked that well for me either so I don't trust it.  In warm weather it works well, but in cooler weather I get lots of moisture condensation and it ends up sealing the lid closed when doing low/slows.

Kick Ash Divide & Conquer Kegger
Walrus

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 04:51:12 AM »

I built a heatermeter and use it for any long indirect cook.
PascL

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 08:07:19 AM »

With regards to the pit master, it seems some people have had major issues with the adapter? What about you small?

Cookin' in the cold
Shawn W
2x Hero of the Month, 5x Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 12:23:09 AM »

Long time no talk!

I'll sell you my BBQ Guru CyberQ if you like .... PM me if interested. Used Once. Works great. Too much fuss for me, I do fine without it.

https://www.bbqguru.com/StoreNav?CategoryId=1&ProductId=35
SmallBBQr

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 01:19:27 PM »

With regards to the pit master, it seems some people have had major issues with the adapter? What about you small?

I've had one probe fail...I think at probably around 25-30 uses.  Other than that, operation has been flawless over a couple years now.  I used to hang the probe from the top, hanging it through the vent, but someone else mentioned the probes may eventually absorb the liquid as they are not sealed as good as they could be.  I ordered a couple replacements and used red silicon to seal the area near the probe/cable joint.  I also make sure the probe is set up so any moisture runs away from the probe (not sure that makes any real difference or not).  So far, no other issue.

Kick Ash Divide & Conquer Kegger
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: