Broil King Keg Forum
August 21, 2018, 12:23:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie in Tennessee  (Read 10111 times)
donkeyhill

« on: December 11, 2016, 08:35:38 PM »

I went on a weekend camping trip last month and one of the guys brought a Bubba Keg for the weekend. It was awesome! I was googling, on Ebay and Craigslist for days, and ran across a Bubba Keg in Georgia, so I drove down there yesterday and hauled in back with the hitch adapter. Looks like its in great shape with the hitch, shelves and all inner parts. I have ordered a new cast iron grate and warmer rack for it today. I'm excited to learn from all y'all, as I've been lurking for the past two weeks. I'm no PRO cooker/smoker, but I'm eager to try out some great recipes. Previous experience is grilling and brick oven cooking, so now I'm ready to do some smoking. I do my pizza cooking at 900 degrees so they only take about 90 seconds (however heating the oven well takes about 90 minutes). With the keg, I will be able to do it much faster, I think.
RG

Life's What You Make It - Make It Great

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 03:42:57 AM »

Welcome! We're glad to have you and look forward to seeing what you can do on your other grills/cookers as well as your Keg! It's a very versatile cooker and I know you'll enjoy it! As for pizza on the keg, it can be ready to cook rather quickly but my advice to you is to get it lit and let it burn for at least an hour with your diffuser and pizza stone in there to have them get nice and hot and to burn off the lump so you don't get the taste of the fuel on your pies (unless you like it of course). The board is not nearly as busy as it used to be as there are no outlets that I am aware of in the US that sell the Keg anymore since Orchard Supply and Ace quit carrying them. There were a few random sightings at BJ's and maybe a couple of other places but now it's an Amazon only thing so good job on scoring one off of craigslist! I saw that one on there too, been there a while.

Feel free to ask anything, we'll do our best to answer. You'll find that the search feature will have more than enough answers for you as well, lots of keggers have used this forum to sort out the Keg's learning curve so the hard work has been done for you!

So get to kegging and we'll hopefully see ya around here often!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 10:23:12 AM by RG » Logged

BBQ & Friends. What else do you need? Beer? Okay. Beer, BBQ & Friends! Dilly Dilly!
kite

Nova Scotia

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 06:54:30 PM »

donkeyhill, yes welcome!

I found that the BK diffuser to be a partially useful addition, the pan is useless, but i bought a pizza stone and place it on the rack for low and slow cooks and for pizza. Personally I just light the lump and get it going and open the vent wide and wait for the temp to get up 750 ish. I use a air lighter and bbq dragon so it only takes me 20 min or so. I use no acceleratant so no flavour other than fire. I keep a stone just for pizza however. Parchment paper helps a lot, you can make the pie on it and then use it to help transfer to the keg.  I found it way easier that way.

have fun!

Alex
ModernMan

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 04:23:24 AM »

Welcome donkeyhill

You'll see that the forum contains many helpful  tips both for old & new keggers.

If you have a home oven that can get to 900F after 90 minutes heating, that's awesome. Although the Keg can "easily" reach 900F it'll take at lesst 30 45 minutes (or less - if you use forced air Alex noted) but your pizza stone itself  may still need some extra time to absorb all of that 900F heat. A pizza/baking steel may absorb the heat faster.

Note: At 900F repeated cooks on Keg, the gasket will quickly become brittle, and perhaps then be a source of small leaks potentially & temperature control challenges - during low/slow cooks.
However, they do have them in stock at OMC and are easily replaceable
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: