Broil King Keg Forum
November 22, 2017, 11:42:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No Cook Pizza Sauce  (Read 17923 times)
RG

Life's What You Make It - Make It Great

« on: November 30, 2016, 01:09:04 PM »

I know that I created the "Keg Recipe Vault" but was unsure where to put this. Do I put it in "Sauces" or do I put it under "Baked Goods"Huh?

I chose to put it here but a mod can move it if they so desire!

I can't take credit for the recipe, it's from a guy on another forum I frequent. It's really simple and is absolutely awesome! It cooks as the pie cooks and has a very nice fresh taste. I'll never go back to a cooked sauce again!

No Cook Pizza Sauce

Yield: 14 oz. of sauce (1.5 cups), enough for 3 12″ thin crust pizzas. Place 4.5 oz. of sauce in 3 baggies for storage, freeze for later use.

One 28oz can Nina San Marzano (Costco) or similar
1/8 t granulated garlic powder or small clove grated
1/4  t sea salt
1/4 t Black Pepper   
1/2 t Oregano
1/8 t Crushed Red Pepper   

The garlic flavor will get stronger if sits overnight. Adjust to your preference.

Directions :

Place fine strainer over large bowl, open the cans of tomatoes and add them to the strainer. Remove the basil, remove the area where the stem connects to the tomatoes and hand crush the tomatoes. Allow the tomatoes to drain for about 30 minutes, stirring once in a while.
Move the tomatoes into another bowl and mash with a potato masher until completely broken up. Next with the left over juice add enough until you have 14 oz. of sauce. 
Combine tomato pulp, garlic, salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper and oregano and mix well.
Allow the sauce to sit covered in the refrigerator for at least one hour; the sauce will taste better the next day. Freeze any extra sauce. 

I've made this so many times now that I basically eyeball it. If you use American plum tomatoes vs. ones actually from San Marzano, you may need to add a little honey or agave or sugar. Also, if you do freeze it, be sure to drain off excess water when you thaw it out to use it. The tomatoes will be more watery due to the cell walls of the pulp bursting during freezing. Otherwise you'll have a bland watery sauce.

Here's what it looks like.

And here it is on a glorious Neapolitan Pizza!

Enjoy!

BBQ & Friends. What else do you need? Beer? Okay. Beer, BBQ & Friends! Dilly Dilly!
ModernMan

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 03:52:56 PM »

Looks delicious.

I also generally make a similar no-cook sauce in a similar manner.

When I'm in rush and/or out of canned organic low/no salt tomatoes - I sometimes simply use the Costco (or other) organic tomtoe paste, and mix in some more olive oil and or a few Table spoons of water.
Cajunate
4X Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 05:33:01 PM »

Yes in deedyyyyyy.......! That's some good stuff!

"Good grillin' is like good lovin' "
  Just outside of New Orleans
kite

Nova Scotia

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 05:11:55 PM »

Interesting, I have an opinion question, I try not to use processed foods (long story) but that includes canned. Do you think chopped fresh tomatoes could produce a similar result?

Alex
RG

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 05:47:14 PM »

Interesting, I have an opinion question, I try not to use processed foods (long story) but that includes canned. Do you think chopped fresh tomatoes could produce a similar result?

I doubt it in all honesty but if I were to attempt it, I'd use a good plum tomato. You'd need a lot of them as well since you'll need a fair amount of juice and pulp. Without delving too deep into the subject, I would think that the canned tomatoes wouldn't be too bad as it is just tomatoes and basil, flash heated in a can to preserve it. There are no preservatives added since it's steam canned. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt though, you do know your body and I don't want you getting sick on account of me, lol!

BBQ & Friends. What else do you need? Beer? Okay. Beer, BBQ & Friends! Dilly Dilly!
kite

Nova Scotia

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 06:37:44 PM »

Hey RG I get what you are saying. I have some issue with salt, or to be correct excessive salt. I can't speak for the brands you may have but here where I am, Unico premium San Marzano plum tomatoes for a can has 70% of your daily intake of salt. I would rather have a few slices of bacon and make my own tomatoes than have tinned and no bacon, or cheese...

I can't find a no salt tomato tin. It is partially a game to avoid mass produced food. I want to make my food not pay a factory to make it for me. It is more a personal choice I would not push it upon others.

Alex
RG

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 07:13:50 PM »

Hey RG I get what you are saying. I have some issue with salt, or to be correct excessive salt. I can't speak for the brands you may have but here where I am, Unico premium San Marzano plum tomatoes for a can has 70% of your daily intake of salt. I would rather have a few slices of bacon and make my own tomatoes than have tinned and no bacon, or cheese...

I can't find a no salt tomato tin. It is partially a game to avoid mass produced food. I want to make my food not pay a factory to make it for me. It is more a personal choice I would not push it upon others.

That's cool with me. We are not all cookie cutter and I applaud you for your efforts to do what works for you! I agree with you on making room for bacon!!!!!!

ModernMan

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 10:26:58 AM »

Kite - there are exact versions of canned tomatoes available (including San Marzano brand) without any added (or extremely low) salt, for those seeking healthier options, myself included - or simply to compensate for salty bacon  Wink

Well - at least in here Montreal and surrounding areas they're commonly availible.

Stores will only offer them in response to demand from customers. They're not stupid and wont stock shelves with items that customers wont buy.

It's true that we're all slowly, willingly taxing our kidneys and cardiovascular system with significant amounts of hidden and no so hidden sodium.
kite

Nova Scotia

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 03:22:40 PM »

I am going to try soonish to just use blanched tomatoes and see how it works I see no reason whey it has to be tinned.

Alex
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: