Broil King Keg Forum
January 18, 2018, 03:03:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seems like the board is not taking new members  (Read 3615 times)
smokey
Superhero Member

« on: November 10, 2016, 06:37:59 AM »

I tried to get a new identity. I guess I didn't want to be a super duper hero member with a gazillion post counts. My request was never approved.
That probably explains why we get all these new members but never see them post.
Again it seems like this board is a victim of itself. Really bad management.
This will be my last post.

What killed the board? Narcissists
BBQRich
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 11:26:14 AM »

Feel free to send me a DM about this - spam registrations outnumber actual registrations about 20:1, I check all IP addresses, but I'm sure I miss some.

smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 04:38:55 PM »

Feel free to send me a DM about this - spam registrations outnumber actual registrations about 20:1, I check all IP addresses, but I'm sure I miss some.
Huh
Rich, checking IP addresses does not take into consideration CGN - Carrier Grade Nate.
Basically ISPs will use a  handful of IP addresses to route traffic for millions of users.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6598

If you going by IP V4 addresses, you are actually excluding a lot of legitimate requests...

COMCAST, AT&T etc use CGN.

Here is a sample from a police manual by comcast

"For identification based upon an Internet Protocol (IP) Address:
Before sending a request, please confirm that the IP address is assigned to
Comcast. This can be accomplished by visiting http://whois.arin.net/ui or
http://www.ip2location.com/free.asp and inputting the IP address. Please also be
aware that Comcast now uses Carrier Grade Natting (“CGN”) for Wi-Fi in place
of IPv6 identification for all entities that are not yet IPv6 capable."

If you are not using IP V6 addresses (numbers and letters) you will mostly see the IP address of the ISP's router.....

ModernMan

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 01:31:38 PM »

Wow Sparky.
I dont understand 90% of what you wrote - but it sounds convincing to this IP illiterate kegger.
Anyways - just basically trying to say - please don't go....
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 05:16:00 PM »

Merci mon homme,
I think the issues are a matter of ignorance and not malice.  Malice pisses me off. Ignorance, well, we are all ignorant in one way or another.
I'm seeing the comical  side now. Being in the business I assume people understand the basics, but basics for me are probably not the same...

Basically they have run out of IP version 4 addresses the look like nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn where n is a number 0-9.
These numbers ran out, in the sense that there are not enough for all the devices that connect to the internet..

There are some IP numbers that work on private networks, but they do not work for the internet. Routers drop them because they are not used, we call them non-routable. They are also called private addresses.
"The private address segments (10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255, 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255, 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255) "

Your router at home uses private IPs on the inside. The router translates the inside address from your computer to the router's outside address. This process is called a Network Address Translation (NAT).  All traffic that comes from your house has the same IP, so when the router gets incoming traffic from the outside it converts it. It does a NAT.

Now Internet service providers are using private IP v4 addresses on their inside network, so your router IP v 4 address is translated this is called a double NAT. A double NAT is also called a Carrier Grade NAT.
In the meantime they are coming up with IPv6 to solve the problem. It still is not being used, especially in old software that bareley runs this board.
I know one of the guys that worked on IP v6  Bob Hinden...  (R. Hinden)  https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2460. He Worked for Nokia when he drafted this. Anyway most equipment can do IP v6, but a lot of legacy issues.

This is what an IP v 6 looks like....

An IPv6 address is represented as eight groups of four hexadecimal digits, each group representing 16 bits (two octets). The groups are separated by colons (Smiley. An example of an IPv6 address is:

2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334
The hexadecimal digits are case-insensitive, but IETF recommendations suggest the use of lower case letters. The full representation of eight 4-digit groups may be simplified by several techniques, eliminating parts of the representation.

Leading zeroes in a group may be omitted.[1] Thus, the example address may be written as:

2001:db8:85a3:0:0:8a2e:370:7334
One consecutive group of zero value may be replaced with a single empty group using two consecutive colons (Roll Eyes.[1] Thus, the example address can be further simplified:

2001:db8:85a3::8a2e:370:7334

smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 05:20:56 PM »

Here is some more info on IP v6
http://www.worldipv6launch.org/infographic/

ModernMan

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 07:05:18 PM »

Monsieur Sparky

In your best opinion - when will my daisy-chained (including an old, re-flashed with ddrwt(?) IP v4 home routers, become limping/obsolete, and require upgrading to ipv6 routers?

Merci,
MM
kite

Nova Scotia

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 11:29:37 AM »

Smokey,
That is an elegant description. Nicely put. work doesn't let me talk to the real world... They seem to think I will say something inappropriate... I might too.

Oh and on a side note, i love numbers so large no one understands it, 340- undecillion

Alex
ModernMan

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 11:56:09 AM »

Oops... brain fart, lol.
Sorry - meant to write Smokey, not Sparky
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 10:52:21 AM »

Monsieur Sparky

In your best opinion - when will my daisy-chained (including an old, re-flashed with ddrwt(?) IP v4 home routers, become limping/obsolete, and require upgrading to ipv6 routers?

Merci,
MM
Never. Even if it was incapable of Internet Protocol  Version 6 (IP V6). They can always double NAT. There is however, a functionality that stops working,  setting up a home server using IP V 4 and dynamic DNS. For example if you wanted to have a web server at home. Though if you needed that then you would need a static IP V 4 address anyway, and that would be routeable. The ISP still would have plenty, only they would sell them, or the better word would be "rent them".

smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 10:56:15 AM »

Smokey,
That is an elegant description. Nicely put. work doesn't let me talk to the real world... They seem to think I will say something inappropriate... I might too.

Oh and on a side note, i love numbers so large no one understands it, 340- undecillion
I worked IT for a company that made the firewalls. Your work has the option of reading your private email.

RG

Life's What You Make It - Make It Great

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 09:11:31 AM »

Smokey, I just read this entire post and I have to say is that you just made my head hurt, lol! Now I know what my customers feel like when I ramble off plumbing jargon to them Tongue
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 07:07:29 AM by RG » Logged

BBQ & Friends. What else do you need? Beer? Okay. Beer, BBQ & Friends! Dilly Dilly!
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 07:46:14 PM »

Smokey, I just read this entire post and I have to say is that you just made my head hurt, lol! Know I know what my customers feel like when I ramble off plumbing jargon to them Tongue
Basically they are checking license plates and people are arriving on the bus.

Looking at IP addresses when everybody from Verizon is sharing 4 IP addresses.

Running fingerprint scans and thinking everyone wearing the same brand of gloves is the same person.

Calling Roto Router and assuming that it's only one plumber because the van looks the same.

-
It would be the same if you saw somebody mixing Iron Pipe and copper, using PVC for hot water, buying gas black pipe and using for water.  -  It's the kind of thing profesional jokes are made of...

RG

Life's What You Make It - Make It Great

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2016, 07:07:12 AM »

Basically they are checking license plates and people are arriving on the bus.

Looking at IP addresses when everybody from Verizon is sharing 4 IP addresses.

Running fingerprint scans and thinking everyone wearing the same brand of gloves is the same person.

Calling Roto Router and assuming that it's only one plumber because the van looks the same.

-
It would be the same if you saw somebody mixing Iron Pipe and copper, using PVC for hot water, buying gas black pipe and using for water.  -  It's the kind of thing profesional jokes are made of...

Indeed! Speaking of piping (since you've shown your hand and I know that you have knowledge of what I am about to say), years ago a buddy of mine that now lives in Tempe was renting an apartment in Midtown Atlanta and it was an OLD building from the 20's. The building was plumbed with galvanized water lines and over time they rust and end up closing off entirely due to said rust. This was the case in his unit but only on the hot water side. He called and complained because he had no hot water. It took them several weeks to "fix" his issue. I went to go visit him and what I found BLEW my mind. They had rerouted his water line by running a 1/2" yellow GAS Tracpipe to replace the 3/4" galvanized. It wasn't even close to being hidden either, it ran along walls and the ceiling, stood out like a sore thumb! I told him that it was a MAJOR violation to use that for water as it was not intended for pressure (gas is very low pressure), it's also not suitable for potable water use AND it's undersized on top of all that. He didn't complain, left it as is. It never burst while he lived there for another 5 months so I imagine at some point it burst and flooded his unit and the ones below, lol!

Crazy!

BBQ & Friends. What else do you need? Beer? Okay. Beer, BBQ & Friends! Dilly Dilly!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: