Broil King Keg Forum
December 14, 2018, 02:16:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone put a blower port in the new BKK5000?  (Read 18712 times)
SmallBBQr

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2016, 04:50:20 PM »

I use a controller for all my really long cooks, and there are a couple things I find help hitting/keeping your temp.

1) Get to your target in 3-4 steps.  If you want 240, start by a very small fire and set controller for 175.  It always overshoots.  Then (once it overshoots), set your temp a bit higher, and then again 2-3 times.  Like 175, then 200, then 220, then 240.   Works well.

2) Make the controller WORK.  Set the upper vent VERY small...make the blower push the air through when it needs to...you do not want the top vent at a setting where it will draw enough air to increase the temp by itself.  This also helps if there is wind.

Kick Ash Divide & Conquer Kegger
Brandon_Lutz

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2016, 06:22:34 PM »

I use a controller for all my really long cooks, and there are a couple things I find help hitting/keeping your temp.

1) Get to your target in 3-4 steps.  If you want 240, start by a very small fire and set controller for 175.  It always overshoots.  Then (once it overshoots), set your temp a bit higher, and then again 2-3 times.  Like 175, then 200, then 220, then 240.   Works well.

2) Make the controller WORK.  Set the upper vent VERY small...make the blower push the air through when it needs to...you do not want the top vent at a setting where it will draw enough air to increase the temp by itself.  This also helps if there is wind.

That is what I'm going to try to do this weekend. As you mentioned I found out that you have to make it work and use a very small opening for the top vent. After I shut it down that is when the temps really started coming down.  I think this time instead of using the starter cube I'll use my mapp gas torch to start a tiny amount of coal in the middle. That is what I've always done on my other pits that I've used the guru on.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: