Broil King Keg Forum
October 18, 2018, 04:31:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone put a blower port in the new BKK5000?  (Read 18457 times)
Brandon_Lutz

« on: October 03, 2016, 06:16:24 PM »

Thinking about buying a blower port for my Keg so I can use my BBQ Guru on it for long, overnight cooks.

Has anyone here installed one on their newer BKK5000? I've seen the threads for installs on the previous models and I was curious to see if any of you with a newer keg with the ash drawer has installed a port, and if so, did the the ash drawer cause any problems in regards to performance with your blower?  I've used my guru on my two other smokers that I built and they performed great with it, which made me think about installing a port on my Keg. However searching around here and on the internet and I have not been able to find anyone who has installed a port on the newer, redesigned 5000 series models.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 10:53:43 AM by Brandon_Lutz » Logged
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 12:18:26 PM »

Actually it's the only benefit that I see with the ash drawer.
My ports on my regular kegs are very close to the floor of the keg.  Inevitably ash will get in the pipe\port. I drilled my ports with a downwards angle so this makes it easy for ashes to go down the 1.5 inch pipe. 

What killed the board? Narcissists
Brandon_Lutz

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 06:23:49 AM »

Wel, looks like I'll find out this weekend how it will do. Ordered the bulkhead adapter and will try to install it this weekend and will do a dry run with it to see how it goes.
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 11:33:57 AM »

Wel, looks like I'll find out this weekend how it will do. Ordered the bulkhead adapter and will try to install it this weekend and will do a dry run with it to see how it goes.

What is a bulkhead adapter?

kite

Nova Scotia

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 05:00:12 PM »

x2... Bulkhead adapter?

Alex
Brandon_Lutz

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 08:49:17 AM »

It's what BBQ Guru calls their blower port for larger smokers. It's just what they call it. I'm installing it today and will try to get some pics afterwards.
Brandon_Lutz

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 02:10:45 PM »

Got the adapter installed today. Will let the sealant cure over night and then try a dry run test on Monday most likely.

Here is a shot of the hole drilled:

Shot of the inside of keg with the bulkhead adapter installed and high temp sealant applied all the way around the square adapter nut:

Shot of the outside of the keg with the adapter installed and sealed up with black sealant:

All in all, not a bad install. Took about 30 minutes total. Just wish the bottom vent setup on the BK5000 was setup like the 2000 so I could have avoided having to do this to use an ATC. Can't wait to give it a go in the next couple of days.
ModernMan

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 04:08:09 PM »

Are you wondering a bit whether the red high temperaturr silicone will be able to withstand the heat emitted by the charcoal on the inside of the Keg?
The outside black silicone should be no problem.
Brandon_Lutz

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 04:18:02 PM »

Are you wondering a bit whether the red high temperaturr silicone will be able to withstand the heat emitted by the charcoal on the inside of the Keg?
The outside black silicone should be no problem.

No I have no doubt it will hold up. I was wondering if the ash drawer itself being a static object would mess up the air flow in any way coming from the blower and possibly cause ash kick up or bad circulation.
Caveman
Hero of The Month

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 06:04:48 AM »

Can't wait to see the results! And I must also say that I admire the fact that you have the guts to drill a hole in your "new" 5000!!  Cheesy

Edit: For the ash drawer check out my knob fix, it should provide a thighter seal than the oem's...
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 08:01:15 AM »

No I have no doubt it will hold up. I was wondering if the ash drawer itself being a static object would mess up the air flow in any way coming from the blower and possibly cause ash kick up or bad circulation.

That's one thing I don't like about the ashdrawer,  I don't know how it will affect the proven mechanics of the simple design. 

I noticed that the floor of your keg is blue?

Brandon_Lutz

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 08:11:51 AM »

I noticed that the floor of your keg is blue?

It is black. I just cleaned part of it real good and because of that, it is reflecting the clear blue sky above and makes it look bluish in the picture.
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 10:47:37 AM »

How does the port work for you?

I had a threaded pipe (nipple) in mine. I also liked being able to a ball valve on it. I't allows air intake adjustment.

Brandon_Lutz

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2016, 12:14:35 PM »

Just fired the keg up now. Waiting for the firestarter to go out and then I'm going to do a 5 hour dry test to see if can hold temps like I want. I'll post the results later tonight. Smiley
Brandon_Lutz

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 01:36:28 PM »

Well the dry run test went well. Learned a couple of things.

I started up my charcoal as I usually do, with a single paraffin starter cube in the middle. I used some used lump and I had some previously un-burned cherry wood in the fire basket from a previous cook.

Once the cube started, I turned the guru on, set it to 230F and closed the bottom vent all the way and opened up the top vent to 2. At this point I figured I would just let it sit for an hour to see what it would do, after an hour I came out and checked the keg and my temp was at 300F.  Being as this was the first time I was using this setup I decided to make adjustments and let it run until I figured out what I needed. I closed the top vent down to about halfway between one and zero. Hooked up my Maverick so I could monitor the temp remotely and just kept an eye on it.

Over the course of two and half hours the temp came down to 240 which I was happy with. I also had a steady light blue smoke coming out the top of the vent. I then let the keg sit like that for another 4 hours and it never went higher, didn't go lower either. After it got dark here I had to shut things down. The good thing about the guru blower port is that it comes with kill plug. After you remove the blower you insert the plug and it stops all air from coming into the blower port. Didn't take long for the fire to choke itself out afterwards.

I might do another test this weekend where I start off with the the lid closed and on vent setting at .5 and the guru set to 230 to see if I can get that lower temp and for it to stay there and not go up.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: