Broil King Keg Forum
October 20, 2018, 01:50:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BKK5000 Ash drawer knob replacement  (Read 26703 times)
Caveman
Hero of The Month

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2016, 05:45:47 PM »

Will try another test run next weekend, or before if I have some spare time...
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2016, 06:58:05 PM »

A small leak is OK, I think 225 is good.

What killed the board? Narcissists
Caveman
Hero of The Month

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2016, 06:18:33 PM »

Hi all,

second test tonight using new lump over some leftovers...and the numbers speak for themselves!

Top vent is between 1-2 and bottom is almost shut. Temperature fluctuated between 225-252F for over 2.5h now...a little higher than anticipated, but still acceptable. Had to tweak the settings a little so I guess having the TTT will probably help on that aspect.

One interesting fact is when I completely shut down the bottom vent the temp actually drops lol...It used to continue to climb or had no impact at all before this fix.

The other thing I like is using a digital probe to monitor the temps...with the OEM gage I often reacted too late...will let it run for a while...

EDIT: The rain ended my tests...next time I will actually cook something!

cheers.

smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2016, 06:58:32 PM »

I believe that old and new lump have different heat capabilities.
New stuff burns hotter.
I keep a supply of old stuff, it doesn't spark as bad either when using my MAPP

Caveman
Hero of The Month

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2016, 07:06:25 PM »

I believe that old and new lump have different heat capabilities.
New stuff burns hotter.
I keep a supply of old stuff, it doesn't spark as bad either when using my MAPP

I believe so too.
ModernMan

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2016, 07:22:34 PM »

1-2 upper vent on the stock 5000 to maintain 225-250 is pretty good feat indeed.

Fyi -  when using the TTT I keep the upper vent on the 5000 at 3-ish, the bottom vent closed, and the TTT at 2 or 3, depending on the amount of wind or hot sun hitting the TTT/Keg.
These settings help maintain approx 240-260Fat grate level, measured with a digital thermometer - with minimal adjustments necessary every hour or so.
Caveman
Hero of The Month

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2016, 04:40:06 AM »

1-2 upper vent on the stock 5000 to maintain 225-250 is pretty good feat indeed.

Fyi -  when using the TTT I keep the upper vent on the 5000 at 3-ish, the bottom vent closed, and the TTT at 2 or 3, depending on the amount of wind or hot sun hitting the TTT/Keg.
These settings help maintain approx 240-260Fat grate level, measured with a digital thermometer - with minimal adjustments necessary every hour or so.

Thanks! I will give the TTT a try next time...And I am keeping the knob fix on! way more solid than OEM...
ModernMan

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2016, 05:32:57 AM »

Caveman,
Note - since the ash drawer on your 5000 is now likely more tightly sealed than mine, my 3ish upper vent and 0 bottom settings, and 2-3 on the TTT -  may also require being different in your situation.
Caveman
Hero of The Month

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2016, 06:26:48 AM »

Yeah I was about to ask you why you had it your top vent at 3 and not completely opened...it all makes sense. thx

kite

Nova Scotia

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2016, 05:04:21 PM »

I think I am going to try the same. The band seems to work but that seems easier.

Alex
Caveman
Hero of The Month

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2016, 06:31:20 PM »

Kite, when you will go to the hardware store, pick the thickest washers you can find in the plumbing section, next to the o-rings...They have to be thicker than the lock nuts so the knobs will clear the drawer frame but at the same time hold everything tightly in place...let me know how it goes...also, nothing prevents us from going back to the oem knobs...but I don't regret it... Wink
smokey
Superhero Member

Re:
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2016, 07:35:52 PM »

I saw your solution on my computer, much better than messing with chambers.  I think I was over engineering.

I guess I thought that was the original set of oem knobs. You can't blame me looks like it belongs  Grin

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

kite

Nova Scotia

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2016, 05:36:46 AM »

Cave,
What size bolts did you use? I have been thinking of a variant, I would rather not use plastic nut covers, I may pull out the lathe.

Alex
Caveman
Hero of The Month

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2016, 05:55:18 AM »

1/4 inch, its slightly larger than the oem holes, so that's why I needed to drill using a 1/4 inch drill bit...length could be variable, just make sure you have enough length to clear the frame with the nut on and still have room for the screw knobs.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 11:52:22 AM by Caveman » Logged
Caveman
Hero of The Month

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2016, 06:02:17 PM »

I thought I give you guys an update...

So today I cooked ribs using the TTT. This was my first try using the TTT while actually cooking food and with the knob fix.

Anyhow, I fired the keg this morning at 11:30...took me a good hour to an hour and a half to stabilize the TTT to the right setting. Turns out I needed to open the top damper to 3 and the TTT to 2. Bottom vent was closed all the way, but I did open a crack from time to time just to make sure I didn't flame out.

Anyhow, the entire cook was always under 250F (for almost 5h). Pulled the ribs @ 17h and left the keg running all evening. it's almost 21h now and this guys is still running @ 230-240F!

I'm pretty satisfied by this result! Oh...and I also tried a new kind of lump charcoal. I picked up a bag of BroilKingKeg at the local hardware store (RONA)...it's pretty good. Nice big heavy chunks...

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: