Broil King Keg Forum
August 21, 2018, 04:38:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BKK5000 Ash drawer knob replacement  (Read 26149 times)
Caveman
Hero of The Month

« on: September 01, 2016, 06:14:13 PM »

I decided to ditch the gasket sheet idea LOL...instead I replaced the OEM flimsy knobs with something I could really torque the living hell out of...  Grin

Went to home depot and picked up some 1/4 inch knobs like these: https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.14-3-wing-knob-1pc.1000144008.html

and some 1/4 inch hex screws (&screw nuts) like these: https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.14x2-hex-hd-capscrew-gr2-unc.1000122461.html

and finally some thick rubber washers in the plumbing section.

I had to make the OEM holes a little larger with 1/4 inch drill bit...nothing major.

Installed the hex screws with nuts, reinstalled the front section & drawer and tightened the whole setup...after a smoke test, it revealed minimal smoke leaking out (took much longer before smoke started to leak out), MUCH less than OEM, and less than with the grilling sheet acting as a gasket...Bottom line is...you cannot seal this thing completely with conventional home made solutions, Broil king needs to rethink this one.

However, this is by far the best way to shut this guy tight...I really like this setup and will be keeping this one on! Plus I think it gives the ash drawer a bad ass look   Grin

Oh I forgot...TTT is ordered and shipped...  Grin

Check out the pics...

« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 06:07:22 PM by Caveman » Logged
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 06:25:07 PM »

Try a couple of these http://forum.bigsteelkeg.com/index.php?topic=17484.msg165991#msg165991

I bought them at rockler.... I can't find them or don't know what they are called...

What killed the board? Narcissists
Caveman
Hero of The Month

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 06:35:45 PM »

Try a couple of these http://forum.bigsteelkeg.com/index.php?topic=17484.msg165991#msg165991

I bought them at rockler.... I can't find them or don't know what they are called...

Yeah I thought about using quick release seat post clamps like these: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5023-510/Quick-Release-Seat-Post-Clamp

the problem is fitting them on and being able to still pull out the drawer when you have to...honestly the knobs are really great!!
ModernMan

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 07:06:42 PM »

I decided to ditch the gasket sheet idea LOL...instead I replaced the OEM flimsy knobs with something I could really torque the living hell out of...  

Looks good!

If there was a Throwdown competition for improving the leaky removeable 5000 tray, I'd nominate Kite for the month of July w his silicone baking sheet band fix, and you for September - with this pimp-my-5000 idea.
 Grin

Let us know whether it helps maintain low slow temperatures any better now (before & after your TTT arrives).
Also, whether it cools down / coals go out any sooner upon closing upper & lower vents after a 500-600F cook.
Caveman
Hero of The Month

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 04:40:52 AM »

Looks good!

If there was a Throwdown competition for improving the leaky removeable 5000 tray, I'd nominate Kite for the month of July w his silicone baking sheet band fix, and you for September - with this pimp-my-5000 idea.
 Grin

Let us know whether it helps maintain low slow temperatures any better now (before & after your TTT arrives).
Also, whether it cools down / coals go out any sooner upon closing upper & lower vents after a 500-600F cook.

Grin Thanks...I kinda get obsessed by these things...lol

Yeah will keep you posted...I should get the TTT today, ordered yesterday from barbecuesgalore.ca...fast delivery  Shocked.

won't be cooking this weekend, but I might do a dry run tonight and see how this setup holds.

p.s. I saw in another topic, you speak french? You from Québec? I am from South shore of Montreal...  Wink
ModernMan

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 11:43:34 AM »

Yup
Near Ville St Laurent
Caveman
Hero of The Month

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 12:57:06 PM »

Yup
Near Ville St Laurent

how about that! small world...
smokey
Superhero Member

Re:
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 10:19:23 AM »

So far Kite is winning this competition,  but I'm not giving up. 
😀

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 10:25:07 AM »

Yeah I thought about using quick release seat post clamps like these: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5023-510/Quick-Release-Seat-Post-Clamp

the problem is fitting them on and being able to still pull out the drawer when you have to...honestly the knobs are really great!!
The ones I bought,  threaded in.
The other option which works the same way is close to the seat post!

You almost had it!  Easier to find,  but I think it has metric threads, which is why I did not use.

You were close,  look at the camber lock for the front wheel on your bike.  That's almost the same thing,  but I think it's metric.  Same concept. 

smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 10:28:58 AM »

Grin Thanks...I kinda get obsessed by these things...lol

Yeah will keep you posted...I should get the TTT today, ordered yesterday from barbecuesgalore.ca...fast delivery  Shocked.

won't be cooking this weekend, but I might do a dry run tonight and see how this setup holds.

p.s. I saw in another topic, you speak french? You from Québec? I am from South shore of Montreal...  Wink
I get obsessed too,  I dream things up.  That is what makes us different from other animals we adapt ourselves and our environment.
We are the most adaptable creature on the planet.

kite

Nova Scotia

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 07:48:39 PM »

obsessed seems to be a standard for me. I like the idea I am interested if it still leaks around the seam. I wonder if the screws will close the poor sealing method of if something else is needed.

Alex
Caveman
Hero of The Month

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 03:06:23 PM »

obsessed seems to be a standard for me. I like the idea I am interested if it still leaks around the seam. I wonder if the screws will close the poor sealing method of if something else is needed.

Hey Kite,

So, it's not 100% sealed...Like I said in my first post, I don't think you can seal it off completely using a home made solution, the whole design needs to be revisited. However having these knobs on, you can really tighten the drawer in place, its no longer loose at all. I really like it so far, and it's not too much trouble to empty the ashes...

I fired up the keg at 15:30 EST...it's 18h now, it's been stable at 225F for over an hour now. Bottom damper is at 0, and top vent is at 2...I'm using recycled lump from my last cook and inserted a thermometer to monitor everything closely.

I don't want to get over optimistic, so will let you know how it goes later tonight...

Caveman
Hero of The Month

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 05:22:16 PM »

20:16PM, 3h30 since the temperature stabilized at 225F. Still going under 230F. Minor temp fluctuations, I actually had to open the bottom vent to let some air in...keg was starting to flame out.

No temp spikes though, Max temp was 236F...so that's not bad! will let it flame out on its own...

cheers,
ModernMan

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 11:39:15 PM »

Sounds promising!
kite

Nova Scotia

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 12:22:38 PM »

Hmmm it sure does

Alex
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: