Broil King Keg Forum
August 21, 2018, 04:37:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BKK 5000 sealing band  (Read 22047 times)
ModernMan

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 01:53:51 PM »

Smokey, thanks for your suggestion
Ive already sealed the 5000 and iirc, so has kite.
The removable drawer requires a somewht diffrent approach.
If not mistaken, kite's trying to find a glue/adjesive that specifically will bond a silicone piece to another, so as to form a continuous band/ loop.
Silicone sealants are generally not strong enough to bond the ends of a silicon baking sheet together, which will then be stretched.
kite

Nova Scotia

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2016, 11:58:02 AM »

Exactly modern.

I first tried a high heat silicone it failed to bond, and tried a gasket maker that sort of bonded but started to fail when pulled at. For myself I am fairly well convinced the best method is some kind of elastic material in a band. The issue is it does get hot (not really hot but too hot to hold) and ideally it would be a single continuous band. A really wide large elastic band would be perfect, I just don't know if it would stand up to the temperature and I personally have enough reservations I would not want to try (burning rubber dripping and the mess that would make...)

So far the sugru is holding ok not as well as I would like but ok. It is working ok and for me good enough for now. I however can see how to improve it so before I post detailed instructions I hope to have a improved version first. Yes I am OCD and a perfectionist.

Alex
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2016, 06:54:10 PM »

I have no idea on how the 5000 drawer looks or even works. Never seen one.  Smiley
So I might not be recommending the right material.

I was thinking a bead of RTV not to attach the band, but to create a seal.

I don't really understand, the mechanics of the ash tray but it's fun thinking up ways to fix this.
This is similar to the beginnings of this forum, there was no support, nobody knew if the Keg was going to survive, there were no such things as ready made diffusors. Replacement parts were non existent, as was service.

Some pretty ingenious solutions  Smiley

For example, we figured out how to make the pitmaster IQ work, John later added adjustable vents.
I put a port with a ball valve, I can restrict airflow with the valve, Vindi used a washer in the hose.
Some people bitched and moaned, said that the IQ's were defective, I felt sorry for John. I think I bought one of the first ones...

Ranbeaux made straps to put diffusors of all kinds, stones cast iron, and started selling them. Never seen nothing like them in stores.

Then there were all the ideas to seal the bottom vent, and the top vent, or replacement lid seals, ways to light the lump.

Very few people really knew about Kamados. Now wherever they sell grills the have one.

What killed the board? Narcissists
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2016, 06:58:30 PM »

Exactly modern.

For myself I am fairly well convinced the best method is some kind of elastic material in a band. The issue is it does get hot (not really hot but too hot to hold) and ideally it would be a single continuous band. A really wide large elastic band would be perfect,

So how about a band of similar material used for the lid seal (only thinner)?
You could use the same type of staple used by the lid seal...

I wish I could swing by your house with a six pack, we could spend hours talking about this...

kite

Nova Scotia

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2016, 09:26:51 PM »

You would be welcome. Yes certainly could, I am the type I'd show up with a big box of things to sit and fiddle with.
I shot this a while back so it isn't quite the best for what it looks like.
This is where the tray and vent part side into. You can see the remains of my first gasket, where I tried to add a thin bead to the body let it cure and then use that as a gasket. It didn't seal well and failed to stick in a couple of spots.

The end of the tray showing the vent. I like the vent design it has a lot of elegance. I believe there is an old post speaking about filing notches in the top lid it looks like someone was watching.

There is very little play if you plan on having a gasket, as you add more it starts becoming harder to lock the tray in and places more strain on the toggles. The toggles are part of the issue I think if they were more positive leaking might be reduced. Having something like a bolt wing nut is fiddley to open and close. I thought that would be clunky. I figured that if sealing between the bay on the Keg body and the face plate of the tray was hard and created other issues that sealing the outside would work, less efficient a location but good enough. That is where I got to where I am.

It is now a matter of finding the best way to build something and with a reasonable chance of success for others and with materials that are available and not overly expensive.

Alex
smokey
Superhero Member

Re:
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2016, 03:39:22 AM »

Hmm I have an idea,  I'll take a picture when it's daylight

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

ModernMan

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2016, 06:29:18 AM »

Kite
I can vouch re. those toggles being part of the issue.
One of mine arrived broken when i received the Keg ladt year.
They do indeed feel small n flimsy (in relation to the size/weight/bulk of the tray) and their spring is weak ... so any mod which puts more strain on those toggles may be asking for trouble
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2016, 09:19:38 AM »

Before my keg I had an offset.
It was leaky and difficult to control temp.  I guess you could call it an ash drawer.

Maybe this could give you an idea...

I used some tabs and more importantly a camber lock that I bought at a woodworking store.

kite

Nova Scotia

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2016, 07:03:08 PM »

Smokey Cambers is a good though. A bunch of futzing about to figure how to fit them.

Modern the toggles is a dumb system, there must be a better alternative I am at a loss to think of one. I have a rule for myself, Criticize when you have an alternative not before. I have a hard time blaming the designers as I can't think of a better way. Frigging wing nuts...

Alex
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2016, 12:39:47 AM »

Smokey Cambers is a good though. A bunch of futzing about to figure how to fit them.

Modern the toggles is a dumb system, there must be a better alternative I am at a loss to think of one. I have a rule for myself, Criticize when you have an alternative not before. I have a hard time blaming the designers as I can't think of a better way. Frigging wing nuts...
I thread it in,  my solution is primatve but I don't recommend for your application.
To use cambers you could do several things,  but I think a bar that goes over the drawer would work. The camber could force pressure between the bar and the drawer.

Or there are these other types of clamps
Look this up
POWERTEC 20301 Horizontal Quick-Release Toggle Clamp, 500 lbs Capacity, 225D

Though I think that using the two existing toggles could be replaced by threaded rod,  and cambers

Problem is that you would have to mess with unscrewing the cambers

ModernMan

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2016, 02:25:01 PM »

Thanks Smoke, thanks kite - for your brainstorming to help find a solution.

BSK engineers likely are thanking you both also!
Smiley
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2016, 03:58:17 PM »

Thanks Smoke, thanks kite - for your brainstorming to help find a solution.

BSK engineers likely are thanking you both also!
Smiley
Hey Homid,

Actually they don't give a hoot.  Angry
Bottom vent issues were a key factor in initial sales of the keg being impacted, the keg had a bad rap for not being able to control temps. What do they do? Bring back leaky vents? Duuh...

I've seen so many ideas..... For one having a port. That's the big advantage that the keg has over the ceramics.
You could even hook up a Shop Vac  and clean the ashes, put a Pitmaster, or a cold smoker attachment.

IMHO They only took the ideas that really did not seem to understand the keg very well. 
There was one time they had a poll as to what features would be good to have.

At the beginning of the Keg Forum we had Bubba Ricky Bobby, he was an industrial engineer, and was actively collecting feedback. I suspect he play a key role in the design and was looking for improvements.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: