Broil King Keg Forum
April 19, 2018, 02:49:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BKK 5000 sealing band  (Read 21606 times)
kite

Nova Scotia

« on: July 06, 2016, 10:35:25 AM »

I am glad the forum is back up!

I have a 5000 and the ash tray design has some issues. I actually generally like the design, I can't say it is an improvement as I have not used a slider, it is what I have and am becoming used to.

I tried to use red high heat silicone caulking to solve this issue, it was not super successful. I pull it all off and tried an other approach. I bought a cheap silicone baking sheet and cut it into 6 cm strips. (2 1/4 inches basically) and for simplicity (and lazyness) I held the strips together with a staples. I made it about 3 cm (an 1 inch and 1/8 ish) shorter than the circumferance around the ash tray. The silicone I have is elastic so it easily wraps around with a bit of tension. Think a large rubber band made of heat resistant silicone.

Installed on my 5000.

Some may have seen my thermal images I have before and after thermal shots
Before

After

It looks like an improvement to me.

Alex
ModernMan

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 12:25:13 PM »

Good job!

Seems like no matter how low I used to close off my botton damper, the 5000's temperature wanted to climb slowly... Then fire would go out if bottom vent set to much less than Sad

Your experiment , coupled with thermal images, shows there's a source of air/02 intake around the perimeter of yhe dust/ash tray - which contributes to feedinv the fire, depending on the tilt or fit of the tray.

I'll try something similar when I get a chance - based on your design. Thanks.

Still keeping fingers crossed however, that OMC Keg engineers will find a retro-fit, more aesthetic & durable solution.
;-)

kite

Nova Scotia

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 07:55:43 AM »

Modern, I agree,
 I too feel there is air leaking in from the tray seal. When I close it up to force the fire to die, I still get smoke from the ash tray toggles, in my case I had issues with the fire burning for some time after all the vents were closed, I no longer have this problem. For my purposes I believe the band is a reasonable solution. Simple, low cost and still allows the function of the design to work.

I don't think staples are the right solution. They are a temporary prototype method. I am looking at glue or adhesive methods to replace the staples. I'll keep you all posted when I find something.

Alex
ModernMan

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 10:35:18 AM »

Agreed.
Mine also takes very long to cool down following a 500-600F pizza bake, generally about 5-6 hours - at least.
kite

Nova Scotia

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 01:21:44 PM »

Mine used too as well. The last cook was a steak, 650ºF ish and it dropped to 100ºF in 3 hours or so. I •Think• that is just a result of insulation, I believe it stopped burning in 30-40 min.

Alex
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 02:22:06 PM »

Mine used too as well. The last cook was a steak, 650ºF ish and it dropped to 100ºF in 3 hours or so. I •Think• that is just a result of insulation, I believe it stopped burning in 30-40 min.

You are probably right.
You can drop the temp (and still keep the fire going) by closing the vents, opening the keg lid every five minutes a few times, then open the vents a very small amount.  Opening the lid lets some air in so the coals gasp for air while the heat slips away,  like a drowning man gasping seeing his life slowly slip away, only to go under again....

The fire will die out in most places. Heat escapes when the lid is open.

What killed the board? Narcissists
kite

Nova Scotia

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 11:32:50 AM »

Hmm I have ordered something that may work in place of staples. https://sugru.com/ they claim it is rated to 180ºC (356ºF) I know that is not very high however the tray does not seem to become really hot under 100ºC in my experience. It should hold up... unless there is thermal blocking then it likely will fail. I guess it is worth a shot. It may not stick silicone at all. I'll report back once it arrives.

Alex
ModernMan

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 06:36:54 AM »

Thanks kite!
kite

Nova Scotia

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 11:19:23 AM »

modern with luck the goo will be here tomorrow, and I will some sense over the weekend.

Alex
Baines11

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 03:02:28 AM »

Inquiring minds want to know if the new solution worked?

one does not simply grill on a keg
kite

Nova Scotia

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 10:33:14 AM »

The band is working quite well there is a little wisp from the toggles and from the top vent between the two layers but that seems to be it. I have still not tried the goop to hold the silicone bits together but soon.

Alex
kite

Nova Scotia

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 02:47:44 PM »

Update I have used the Sugru to 'glue' the sections together. It has altered the elastic and flexibility at the seams. I it is better than being stabbed by staples but i am not sure it is an over all improvement just solved one issue but created another. I am still working on a better one.

Alex
ModernMan

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 07:56:27 PM »

Thanks for the update kite.

I wonder if a large, quasi- industrial ruber band would essentailly offer a similar fix, without melting?
If I find one that fits I'll report back
kite

Nova Scotia

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 09:57:43 AM »

Natural rubber gives up around 100ºC it might work, I looked into theraband but it burns. I have notion that cutting a silicone baking sheet long ways and short and actually 'place' the over laps. I cut on the width and the over laps (3) end up no matter what one is on a corner. The sugru holds up well so far (pizza cook today...) I also have some versamold I maybe able to make a whole one piece strap from it. I know this is slow but I don't like to make a suggestion with detailed instructions until I am certain it will work.

Alex
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 12:49:16 PM »

try this

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80050-Silicone-Adhesive-Sealant/dp/B0002UEPVI
or this
https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-Grade-adhesive-smoker-silicon/dp/B00NU6QDPC

Mixed with this
https://www.amazon.com/Nomex-High-gasket-smoker-stick/dp/B013GJBH8K

or if you really are concerned about over 400

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-81160-High-Temp-Silicone-Gasket/dp/B0002UEN1A