Broil King Keg Forum
October 19, 2018, 09:59:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: acessories  (Read 3748 times)
kite

Nova Scotia

« on: June 07, 2016, 11:53:21 AM »

Hello all,
So I have done something that I realize now does not advance the community of Keg owners. I am going to correct this now. I sent this originally as a PM, and it was pointed out correctly, that if I was asking there are others whom might be interested in that as well. I 100% agree.

I asked Smokey what accessories were useful for a new keg owner? I currently have a BKK5000, BK diffuser kit, and a BK cover.

Smokeys list is:
"You really need,
1-Gloves, the cheap type which cover the wrists.
2- A heavy stone, it has to be cordierite 15" ( can't spell it) look up Kiln stone, OMC sells one, this will give you mass. It's a heat sink, a drip blocker (drippings fall to the side) and a heat diffusor. Some people use the big green egg place setter, I think it is over priced. I have a 14" cast iron griddle that would work.
3-The rack is worth the price of the kit. The pan works fine, if you don't have a stone, put a brick in it and cover it with foil. No biggie. I think it is a high margin item, and they decided to push them by stating that you needed a water pan.
4-A MAPP torch, not propane MAPP.
5-A bin for your Fresh lump and a smaller bin to put recycled, you will be amazed after you shut it down you will still have lump.
6-Sealant for the bottom vent, or whatever that is, a drawer? I don't have one.
7-Disposable aluminum pans big enough to catch drippings, they fit on the stone.
8- A nine inch pie pan
9-I like Alder Chips , they go with my mesquite."

I am interested in what others may add to this too.

Alex
ModernMan

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 03:43:04 PM »

Indwelling "pit" thermometer and meat thermometer eventually.

Shortening or similar, to season the cast iron grate and upper vent.

Heavy duty aluminum foil to wrap your low slow cooks - if you decide to use the texas crutch.

Disposable aluminum trays to collect rendered fat/juices on low slows.

Pizza related stuff - if you decide to try your hand with pizza in Keg.

kite

Nova Scotia

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 04:41:10 PM »

Thermometers, check, I have a few...

Shortening, I assume any veg oil will work I have some coconut oil around someplace. I also have some old olive oil (gone off a bit) that I thought to use unless there is an issue with such things...?

Are there kitchens with out wide heavy duty foil?
Yes, I need to grab disposable trays that fit!

I need to grab a pizza stone, perhaps in my travels tomorrow.

I thought to get a rocking knife, but I really have too many kitchen knives already.

Alex
SmallBBQr

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 08:56:43 AM »

Looks like a good list...though I started with MAPP and now use propane....both work just fine.

I personally find little difference in starting.  Propane is much cheaper here - less than half the cost.  Though it burns at a lower temp, it is still a LOT higher than you need to start some charcoal.

Kick Ash Divide & Conquer Kegger
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 01:14:19 PM »

Looks like a good list...though I started with MAPP and now use propane....both work just fine.

I personally find little difference in starting.  Propane is much cheaper here - less than half the cost.  Though it burns at a lower temp, it is still a LOT higher than you need to start some charcoal.

I did id the other way, first propane then MAPP. Maybe it was related to the type of torch, but the propane would always extinguish itself when inverting the bottle,  I though about buying those long necked torches. Do you not have that problem?
MAPP will last a lot longer than propane, but it is 3x the price. If I had to guess I would say it lasts twice as long, but I'm just guessing.... So the price is a factor I did not consider.

A good thing about a torch, is that it unjambs your upper vent, plus you start using it for other things...

What killed the board? Narcissists
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: