Broil King Keg Forum
October 18, 2018, 04:15:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello from NS Canada!  (Read 13629 times)
kite

Nova Scotia

« on: June 01, 2016, 04:30:52 AM »

Hello all,
My name is Alex, I am new here, new to Kamados too. I settled on a BKK 5000 weight and durability were a big portion of that decision. I am eagerly waiting for its arrival, this week I hope...

I just wanted to say hello, and introduce myself, I am in my mid 40s have cooked on fire since I was 8 and over the last ten years that very well the majority of my meals have been prepared with fire, open wood, gas, charcoal... whatever. The keg for me opens flexibility, a low and slow smoke system and a higher temp grill.

Alex
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 01:19:56 PM »

Welcome, don't hesitate to ask questions. Smiley

I sure some of the other new Keg owners have the same ones, but are too afraid to come out of their lurk Smiley

First thing throw away the cookbook that come with the keg.
Make sure you get real charcoal, flavors stay sealed in a kamado.

What killed the board? Narcissists
kite

Nova Scotia

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 04:40:26 PM »

Thanks Smokey,
Sadly I have to wait until MONDAY for the keg to arrive...

I have for quite some time used (in a hibachi) Royal Oak lump. The first question is there any reason not to use this? The second predictable question, what is good? The third predictable question, any suggestions for what I can buy locally in NS??? (carried by a Canadian big box store)

Alex
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 05:02:09 PM »

I've used Royal Oak not much flavor, so you need  wood chunks.
I was just trying to warn you about using briquettes.

you might be familiar with this site:
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm

As to where to buy Charcoal, all I've found while in Ontario is Royal Oak. I like heavier, more flavorful lump.
Maybe there is a local brand, I'd think Maple.

I Googled and there is a Canadian firm that makes it
http://charbonbasques.com/?lang=en
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag111.htm

Kamados are misers with lump when doing low and slow

I buy mesquite here in California, this is a local brand, mesquite, from Mexico.
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag16.htm

ModernMan

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 05:35:41 PM »

Welcome kite!

I've been on the forum for about a year now and also have a 5000.

For big box lump charcoal, perhaps try Costco in your area. Costcos in Montreal and surrounding areas have Basques (Natures  own) lump at 12.99$ for 17.6lb bags. Decent price, decent lump according to the nakedwiz link posted by smokey.

Other than that - just peruse the forum for all sorts of very helpful info, tricks and tips - generously offered by experienced current and ... past members.

I learned a lot in one year.
kite

Nova Scotia

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 05:52:23 PM »

Smokey, I feel rather dumb, I saw Walnut Creek CA, and I jumped in my mind to Walnut, Canada. CA being the two letter code for Canada as well as Cali. Sorry I figured you were in Canada and would be familiar with what might be found locally. Sorry for that.

I have a selection of smoking woods, alder (lots), maple, ask, oak, cherry, grape, plus I can buy in the more typical woods Hickory, pecan, mesquite, ect.

I have a couple bags of the royal. No biggie to use it up I'll just tinker with additions (was going to anyway) I can easily get Maple Leaf Lump as well so perhaps I'll try that.

Again, Thanks for the help, sorry for my confusion.

Alex
kite

Nova Scotia

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 05:55:11 PM »

ModernMan ahh thank you I'll check that out, Costco is around the corner. I have been reading lots, I really wish the darned thing would hurry up and arrive.

Alex
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 02:54:52 PM »

Smokey, I feel rather dumb, I saw Walnut Creek CA, and I jumped in my mind to Walnut, Canada. CA being the two letter code for Canada as well as Cali. Sorry I figured you were in Canada and would be familiar with what might be found locally. Sorry for that.

I have a selection of smoking woods, alder (lots), maple, ask, oak, cherry, grape, plus I can buy in the more typical woods Hickory, pecan, mesquite, ect.

I have a couple bags of the royal. No biggie to use it up I'll just tinker with additions (was going to anyway) I can easily get Maple Leaf Lump as well so perhaps I'll try that.

Again, Thanks for the help, sorry for my confusion.

No need to say sorry here, I know I've had my share of not so perfect posts  Grin
The idea is for you to feel comfortable saying whatever you want to say, people who BBQ are more laid back.

You actually made me look, I've been using Royal Oak, in  Ontario for the past 2-3 years. Now I know !

bubbagump

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 09:11:38 AM »

Welcome to the forums, you will love it here!

Just another note about charcoal, don't forget to check the "Where to buy" section, sometimes people post sales and deals for charcoal there and they come from all over. There are some decent online options as well if you don't mind the wait.
K'man
Superhero Member

Newfoundland

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 04:58:51 PM »

Hey Kite welcome aboard.  Costco's Natures Own and Maple Leaf are great choices for charcoal.  Many of us have found R/O blue bag is nothing like what our friends use across the boarder.
I might suggest you look at the Tip Top Temp as an accessory for using the Keg(TTT) They're a great device for maintaining lower temperatures over long periods.

So many recipes, so little time.
BSK 5000, TTT,  Maverick 732,
Thermapen, Maverick laser.
kite

Nova Scotia

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 05:08:48 PM »

Thanks all,  Cheesy, I have found Maple leaf Lump @ home hardware as well as BK lump. I figured I would try the Maple leaf lump and see how it is. Oddly the Royal oak I have been using for some time that new bag is really different from the older bags (the older ones purchased from Marion bridge HH and the new CT Dartmouth.) The old was all large chunks (I often had to break it for my little hibachi) the new is all small bits and dust.  Angry Not at all what I expected or was used to.

Alex
Mr. G.

Halifax, NS

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 06:07:56 PM »

How about that!  Another Nova Scotian!  I'm not very active here, but I do lurk a lot.  I personally love Maple Leaf lump. 
kite

Nova Scotia

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 10:06:02 AM »

I have been using it for a while I like it.

Alex
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: