Broil King Keg Forum
May 20, 2018, 03:15:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A couple of re-handled Japanese knives  (Read 15842 times)
smokey
Superhero Member

« on: May 11, 2016, 12:25:42 AM »

I've been learning how to make handles and sayas(scabbards) for my knives.

Hello!
primalsmoke shared an album with you.

View Album, http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/primalsmoke/library/Knives

The blond knife is a yanagi 12" long.  Made to cut fish in one long clean cut.  It's a great slicer.

The darker one is a WA gyuto (Japanese handled Western chef knife)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

What killed the board? Narcissists
barryvabeach

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 11:07:22 AM »

Very nice work, are you laminating the sheaths?
smokey
Superhero Member

Re:
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 07:27:18 PM »

I don't understand laminating.
Never had training woodworking. 
The dark sheath is from thin pieces of Wenge that is 4 inches wide and 1/8  or 1/4 inch thick.  I think that is what you mean? 

The blond wood is sycamore.  I tried another approach which was to route out the shape on two halves. Then glue the halves.

I'm trying a third approach,  which is to use one piece,  cutting a thing board with my table saw.  The cut will only go along the side,  but only on one end.  Then I will bend the ends back together.  I know I'm not explaining this right.  I can take a picture.  I'm thinking of some sort of rivets.  Let me know and I can post a picture. I'm using wood called sapelle.

The first technique is the easiest.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

kite

Nova Scotia

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 05:27:52 PM »

Beautiful work Smokey! I love Japanese Knives, I have a folded carbon knife with a laminated stainless steel hamon. It is an interesting thing. Oddly however my  knife is a very old knife 7 inch that has no markings.

Alex
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 09:38:54 PM »

They don't always have markings.
I have become a big fan of these knives, I can put a wicked edge on them.

On some of the knife boards, many professional chefs use Japanese. A lot of them like Carbon Steel, I now do so as well.
On the negative Carbon is a pain to maintain, but that is why they clad them.  I'ts all in the patina, if you get a good one, you don't have to worry as much. You have to respect carbon steel, wipe it off. It can rust in 15 minutes.

AFAIK Sabatier (or something like that) is the only Western manufacturer of professional quality Chef knives in carbon steel.

For other carbons I have a KaBar (1095), a few of the Morav Knivs, and a couple of Ontario cooking knifes.

People think the patina is ugly, but actually it can be very beautiful, and you need to cultivate one on a carbon knife. Kind of like seasoning cast iron, or your keg for that matter. There is a certain quality in that.
Western cultures sometimes do not accept imperfection.
Japanese call it Wabi-Sabi
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi-sabi
http://www.utne.com/mind-and-body/wabi-sabi.aspx

I didn't know about this term until recently, but I knew the concept.

The Chef knife is a Super Blue Steel, that is my beater. I got it cheap, most start at $300. It's a Gyuto (Western Style Chef). It is imperfect, was in need of finishing when I got it. Then it becomes personal.

The other one is a Yanagbi, it's a single bevel sashimi knife 270mm, it's stainless, I'm going to give it to my Sister in law as a wedding present. I used it as a slicer, then upgraded it. I was going to buy them one one but realized that they would not be able to take care of a carbon knife. The one I wanted to give them was cheaper than the one I'm giving them but it had a quality that few can see.

Kind of like a well seasoned keg, or that well worn shirt that fits just right....

kite

Nova Scotia

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 02:22:30 PM »

Yes you certainly do. I love how they seem to take on their own personalities over time. My favs.
The top is my fav go to 90% of the time. The blade is super thin and holds an edge super well. The next is a knife that is hard not to own, the lee valley 'peasants knife' it is like 50$ (mine was 30$) unless they have mucked it up it is a great knife for that kind of cash. http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?cat=2,40733,40738,52770&p=52770
The next is old too, home made, maybe a buck saw blade? but it is just a nice knife, the bottom is the old hickory, hard to go wrong there.

Alex
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 04:35:22 PM »

I have the same old hickory knife, I cut it down going to make it into a skinner. the blade is about 6-7 inches long now.

It was supposed to have a handle made out of Antler, but that went wrong, the antler warped.
I have a cheap stainless the same size and shapeas your #1. Somehow it holds an edge very well. It's good on meat and trukey anything with a bone.

I like your number 2 , I'm not working so I can't spend now.

I don't know about customs, but this is a good knife and only $60
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tocrapk24wa.html
I left that one and two other tojiros  in Canada eh, at the cabin, that was my 90% knife eh.
It's about 70 meteres from lake huron
 Smiley

This is also a good value, same steel as Shun, also clad but Western Handles
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tojiro3pcset.html

This knife here is the same steel as a Shun  VG-10, its $65
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tojiro-dp-f-8081.html
Shun is prettier, this was my first Japanese knife it was on sale for $95 at Sur la Table

https://www.amazon.com/Shun-Premier-Chefs-Knife-8-Inch/dp/B003B66YKA/ref=sr_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1465601212&sr=1-3&keywords=shun

https://www.amazon.com/Shun-DM0706-Classic-8-Inch-Chefs/dp/B0000Y7KNQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1465601212&sr=1-1&keywords=shun

They don't export raw steel.
My Shun is at 12 degrees, it holds an edge.

Problem is that you need water stones,

https://www.amazon.com/Kota-Japan-Professional-Ultra-Sharpness-Extended/dp/B01APVFFRG/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1465600571&sr=8-15&keywords=water+stones

https://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Combination-Sharpening-KW-65-Nagura/dp/B00M8P96QE/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1465600571&sr=8-9&keywords=water+stones

So it adds up...
Then again I hardly drink, don't do drugs, do eat out much, and the meals that I've made. The knifes paid for themselves.

This is something I picked up here on the board, at first I though the guys were kind of snobby, but when I saw the Shun on sale I went for it, had buyers remorse, then I was hooked.

kite

Nova Scotia

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 11:07:41 AM »

Smokey, that Shun premier is one hot knife. I have a tojiro set looks to be close to the same quality, mine has rosewood handles however. I find I never use them I can't tell you why I just don't. I also have the old hickory knife that try to be a machete. It is huge and I never use it. The smaller one all the time. I love my water stones, I have a set. I feel your fiscal strain, me too. I am working however, and have a sob story of the purchase of my house. Long story short, my wife and I put an offer in on a house, It was accepted, she had a major stroke and ended in hospital, I closed the house, moved us, visited her everyday, and shortly after the move she passed away. She had no insurance (pre existing medical condition) so the cost of the cremation and memorial was out of pocket mostly, with some help of family. The past year I have been struggling to find balance, and to live with a larger than expected debt and reduced income.

Alex
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 01:00:22 PM »

Smokey, that Shun premier is one hot knife. I have a tojiro set looks to be close to the same quality, mine has rosewood handles however. I find I never use them I can't tell you why I just don't. I also have the old hickory knife that try to be a machete. It is huge and I never use it. The smaller one all the time. I love my water stones, I have a set. I feel your fiscal strain, me too. I am working however, and have a sob story of the purchase of my house. Long story short, my wife and I put an offer in on a house, It was accepted, she had a major stroke and ended in hospital, I closed the house, moved us, visited her everyday, and shortly after the move she passed away. She had no insurance (pre existing medical condition) so the cost of the cremation and memorial was out of pocket mostly, with some help of family. The past year I have been struggling to find balance, and to live with a larger than expected debt and reduced income.

I can tell you why you don't use the Tojiro's, they are a little on the delicate side. A good german chef's knife can take care of most everything. You probably don't eat enough vegetables, and don't slice up your potatoes. I think the potatoes stick to the tojiros. The chef knife does not have much of a belly. Most Gyuto's never really have enough belly for the 210's.  So instead of a 210 mm blade  you need a 240 to cut with the belly.
 I bought a set of Western handled tojiros, and did not like the vertical groves on the blade. I broke the chef knife polishing out the groves, took out a chip about 1/2 an inch. I worked the blade back, but it has a low profile. Thats up in Hilton beach, ontario as a slicer now.
Water stones are the way to go.

I'm sorry to hear about loosing your wife. I hope she did not suffer. If mine passed it would be very hard for me.
Can you take on roommates?  That might help, having a little more activity in the house.
Maybe rent the house and find a smaller place?

smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 01:05:31 PM »

Oh the Shun, after I bought it I had buyers remorse. Then started using it, then decided that it was not a banger, though it gets banged up. Thats why I got the stainless Tojiro set. I think I paid $120 for three knives.
My wife recently broke about 1/2 inch off the tip, the picture is of it after the fix.
That is why the tip seems to not shine, I had to thin out the blade, and need to polish it.

http://

http://

kite

Nova Scotia

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 03:19:01 PM »

I'm sorry to hear about loosing your wife. I hope she did not suffer. If mine passed it would be very hard for me.
Can you take on roommates?  That might help, having a little more activity in the house.
Maybe rent the house and find a smaller place?

Thanks Smokey, she was a remarkable person, she never lost her sense of humour. 2 months in eICU, only able to waggle a few toes, smile and blink, she continually tried to make us all smile, and do the best she could to make us happy. She was the bravest person I have ever known. I am deeply honoured to have played a part in her life.

I have given though to renting and roommates but I am quite set in my ways, I am trying to pick up some more work here and there. The jurys out, ill have to see how it goes.

I have a stainless steel 'cook knife' and a Santoku I use for veg (and an ulu) I am not really in love with them, just knives, they have no 'personality' if you know what I mean. Stainless doesn't change, carbon changes and depending on what it gets used to cut alters the colour.

Alex
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 05:01:04 PM »

She sounds like a wonderful person. I'm so sorry for your loss.
It must of left a big gap in your life.

kite

Nova Scotia

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 06:17:36 AM »

gaping hole, I have been slowly filling with distractions. The keg was a great purchase, not only because it works well and it has lots of stuff I can build for it. But it came with a very supportive community as well. Thank You, Smokey, for that and whom ever else reads this.

Alex
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 03:12:55 PM »

It was very supportive here, some very good guys.

At some point it felt clickey, I felt like an outsider because I hadn't gone to the KegFest or whatever they called it. A lot of empty postings, rah, rah, but not a lot of helping newbies from the rah rah crowd. Kind of like the rah rah was a way to build up post count or something. It was harder to find useful information....

A lot of people would find this, lurk and then buy a keg. They wanted to be a part of this.

Now there are less people but  it feels like before.
 Grin
I miss some of the friends I had here.

kite

Nova Scotia

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 04:54:20 PM »

Well it is very friendly.

I have been other forums where everything is fought and argued over and no one cared what information newbies got. Sometimes they played cruel jokes on them, buy this, it is great.... when it turned out not to be, they got; lol sucker. I spent a lot of time attempting to give out the best information I could, and fighting about it, basic truths were argued. I gave in and deleted my accounts. I too miss a few from them, but it was not worth the annoyance.

I am glad to be here and in time hope to add to useful information, and not just leech of the knowledge of others.

Alex
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: