Broil King Keg Forum
August 24, 2019, 09:46:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reverse sear rib-eyes on steel...  (Read 1671 times)
150hp

« on: February 15, 2016, 08:53:33 PM »

I was unable to photograph this meal but just had to share the story anyways.

A little background first. We are saving up for a spring break vacation. My wife said we shouldn't spend any $$$ on each other for Valentines Day. OK, I can agree to that. I then suggested we have steak for our dinner since we had just got a front 1/4 of a local Black Angus cow in our freezer. I poke around & come up with a package of rib-eye steaks. Now the pressure is on me. How to best prepare these?

I do a bit of googling & such. I search through the forum here. I consider my available tools in my personal arsenal: electric kitchen stove, Cameron's Stove Top Smoker, the Keg. Then I have the cast iron grate, Griddle-Q, & the BSK Steel to consider as well. What to do? Finally I commit to a plan. Reverse sear using the stove for the "low & slow" part & then sear on the steel.

I let the steaks come up to room temp. I coat them with a little olive oil & Wildtree Rancher Steak Rub. I put them on a baking sheet in my oven @ 325 for 20 minutes. I had long ago started the Keg with a nice full load of lump. Put on the steel & aimed for 550° F for the sear. During the hour I was heating up the steel, I periodically check on the temp to make sure it was holding steady. Surprise, surprise with about 15 minutes to go I find the dome thermometer reading 860° F. Yikes! I just about sealed off the vents when I find that temp. Oh crap, what will happen here? I do not want to ruin these steaks. I am hoping to drop the temp somewhat but of course that ain't going to happen in that short amount of time. I pull the steaks out of the oven & give a quick internal temperature check. 125° F, just as hoped for. I give them a five minute rest. I take them out to the Keg. I lay them down on the steel. Boy is there a ton of steam & smoke. I do about 1 minute per side. The char looks great. I bring them in & the smell is amazing. They get plated along with slow cooker wild rice & simple kernel corn.

My wife & my two children like medium where as I am much more of a one step above raw kind of guy. So I did both steaks exactly the same to keep them happy. Well, we ate every single little morsel of those steaks besides the fat. My wife said they were perfect & to not change a thing. I was so relieved that they turned out great. These were by far the best steaks I have ever made. Glad I got that freezer full of beef to try this technique again.

Thanks for reading!
cwhiteside

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 05:04:38 AM »

Nothing like steak on the grill - sounds delicious!
Steph
Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 10:33:31 AM »

Sounds like a winner!

Stephanie-
Yanknrebel
Chicken Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

You want sauce on that??? --Atoka TN

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 01:12:21 PM »

sometimes the best-laid plans lead to a happy accident! Glad it worked out!  Next time try the whole process on the keg, low and slow then rest them under foil till the keg temp comes up to sear.  Throw a chunk of oak on the coals while cooking low.  You won't be disappointed!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: