Broil King Keg Forum
August 18, 2018, 09:16:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bluetherm Duo vs?  (Read 4252 times)
glenn

« on: December 12, 2015, 04:03:03 PM »

Looking at getting a good quality 2 channel themometer kit. The Maverick has all the features I need except perhaps long term reliability. I dislike throw away items & in general I try to spend more on what I hope to be a one time purchase.

The Bluetherm Duo is at this point the unit I am most leaning towards purchasing although it's price of $240 USD is a bit steep. Biggest concern here of course is that of the limited range of Bluetooth. I have done a number of tests throughout the inside of my home to my outdoor deck & bbq area using various Bluetooth devices paired to my smart phone & have had no problems at all losing the signal.

Does that mean the Bluetooth equipped Bluetherm will perform just as well? Do all Bluetooth devices perform the same within a given area?

Other options are a WiFi set up like the popular CyberQ. That's even more expensive option however & I don't fell I would be buying the fan unit.

Anyone using the Bluetherm here that can offer their experience with the unit? Is the a better alternative I am unaware of?

Thanks

Glenn

bamabob
2X Hero of the Month ~ 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

my dog can't hold her licker

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 12:19:26 PM »

Not familiar with the Bluetherm but I've used my maverick for about 5 years now.  Very reliable, just gotta keep an eye on the batteries once in awhile.

the biggest problem I had was the thermocouples wouldn't hold up, ever since I started putting a little dab of high temp sealant right where the wire enters the probe, haven't had a problem with one since. 

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.
glenn

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 09:25:57 AM »

The price & the features of the Maverick units are certainly appealing. Unfortunately its seams their overall quality seems to vary greatly from one unit to another.  With only a 90 day warranty I am a little hesitant to roll the dice.

Glenn

bamabob
2X Hero of the Month ~ 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

my dog can't hold her licker

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 11:37:31 AM »

Check out the Tappecue.  WiFi, apps, 4 probes, only $199

http://www.tappecue.com/#!benefits/c18ah

Monitor your temps from anywhere, set alert alarms, invite others to view your cooks progress
Very nice unit, easy setup, no batteries to go dead in the middle of a cook
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 01:23:55 PM by bamabob » Logged

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.
glenn

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 10:37:32 AM »

I checked out the Tappeque. Looks interesting for sure. I am a little leery of buying into a Cloud Based system from such a small company though...

Glenn
bubbagump

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 11:51:13 PM »

If you are handy, you can build one yourself, check out the heatermeter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: