Broil King Keg Forum
August 21, 2018, 08:49:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2000,5000 or neither?  (Read 12479 times)
Focuspuller
2X Keg Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

No way...no how...

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2015, 03:58:29 PM »

Alright I have been using my keg for a couple months now. Have had the opportunity to test it in some fairly frigid temperatures. Fortunately the coldest we have had so far has been -20C.

The only real issue I have found is the darn top vent sticking shut. It gets grease in it and totally freezes shut. This happens after I close the vents when I am done cooking.The next time I go to use my keg I cant get the top vent to move. I have to get a hot chimney full of coals in the keg and close the lid for a while until the vent thaws. This will almost put my coals out before I can get the vent to move. Anybody have any ideas about what to do with this issue?

You might want to try food grade grease on a clean vent....probably before the cold weather sets in.

Look here   http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YOAWZMI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

KEG 4000
Broil King Imperial XL Gas
Yoder YS640/Competition Cart
bubbagump

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 07:58:12 AM »

I have the same exact problem with the top vent freezing up. Another option for this is to use a torch to warm up the top vent. I don't have a MAP torch yet(on my list) but I have a small one that I use to light up my firestarters or cotton balls in the keg. I hold it to the vent but carefully move it around to make sure I don't overheat one spot. Depending on how cold it is, it might take 1 minute and it is loose enough to move.
PascL
Keg Hero Of The Month - 3x Throwdown Champion

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2016, 11:35:16 AM »

Mine freezes up a bit as well when its gunned and minus 20. I just start the fire up, shut the lid, and after a couple minutes it opens no problem

Cookin' in the cold
infidean

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2016, 06:50:53 PM »

I light my fire with a MAP torch, and if the top vent is frozen it also works well to thaw that out. 

Made pizza on the weekend at -22c with wind and got it up to 600+f with no problem. 

coleman1495

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2016, 02:19:07 AM »

Okay the vent freezing issue has been solved. I was kind of overthinking this one. Its not the grease that causes the vent to get stuck but rather the condensation freezing. With the keg good and hot simply pour a little cooking oil into the closed vent. Open/close the vent a little to get the oil worked it. The oil will keep the vent clear.
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2016, 06:35:17 PM »

Would be curious to hear from the long time owners to see if this is really an issue.

If you put a water pan in the keg you can get condensation inside the lid.
I don't know about the newer kegs, but there used to be a hole inside the lid next to the upper vent.

Also water can seep in from rain through the upper vent.
That was a problem with my first generation Bubba Keg.
I stopped adding moisture and have not had a problem.

What killed the board? Narcissists
PascL
Keg Hero Of The Month - 3x Throwdown Champion

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2016, 06:03:16 PM »

as per someone else on here, can't remember who, I got a rain cap for vents from lower for $16 to sit on the keg to protect from rain

Cookin' in the cold
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: