Broil King Keg Forum
January 17, 2018, 08:41:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2000,5000 or neither?  (Read 11386 times)
coleman1495

« on: October 09, 2015, 11:28:20 AM »

Hello,

I purchased my first charcoal grill this spring. It is a Weber Performer.It has been a lot of fun to say the least. Unfortunately with the weather changing I am having a hard time using my grill. I find that only food directly over the coals can cook and anything else dries out.Its only October and I cant maintain a good vent temperature. Charcoal bbq's are not popular up here (Canada). In fact most big box stores don't even carry charcoal over the winter months. Gassers are way more popular.

Anyways I am hoping not to have to give up grilling over the winter. I am thinking that with the insulated shell of the BKK I could maintain a much more uniform internal temperature. Do folks here use  their BKK in cold weather? How would it stand up to -25C and blowing snow?

This brings me to my next question, do I get the 2000 or the 5000? I cant find anywhere local that I can actually see the grills before I order one. It looks like they have the same internal specs but the 5000 has two grates. Also the 5000 looks like it has an ash catcher drawer. The 5000 is 300$ more than the 2000.Is this the only differences? I am experimenting around now with cooking pork low and slow. Is the grate set up on the 5000 favourable to this or would the 2000 work fine?

Thanks in advance,
Coleman
Skinsandos
Keg Hero of the Month - 8X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Winter Springs, FL --- Light It Up

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 11:55:28 AM »

Welcome to the forum coleman

You can do anything with the 2000 you can with the 5000 and sans the drawer. The two tier grate is available to add to the 2000

Many up in the great white north use the keg year round even at -25 blowing, it does well.

I will let them reply on specifics 

Hunt - Fish - Kegvection Grilling
Vindii
2X Hero of the Month ~ 2X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 12:05:32 PM »

One of my kegs sits out all winter in the snow.  Uncovered for 5 years now.  It looks surprisingly good for a steel grill.  The outside temp doesnt effect the keg whatsoever.  Its the perfect cooker for cold Canada winters.  And its made by a Canadian company!

Another advantage to a 500 is the trailer hitch adapter and the wheeled stand.  It can be mounted to a trailer hitch to take it tailgating or camping (or just to show off).

See post 18
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=oovcf0ho0f6b61ce5v721lodo7&topic=4485.15

They are closed minded idiots (did I just say that?? YEP!) and they can't see the usefulness of other types of cookers.
coleman1495

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 08:49:43 PM »

Okay I did not realize that the 2000 does not have the hitch adapter. Makes sense as to the price difference. Portability is not a big deal as its going to stay on the deck. Does anybody know where the best place to order a BKK is in Canada? The best price seems to be 700$ with free shipping.
averagejoe

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 11:24:03 PM »

Okay I did not realize that the 2000 does not have the hitch adapter. Makes sense as to the price difference. Portability is not a big deal as its going to stay on the deck. Does anybody know where the best place to order a BKK is in Canada? The best price seems to be 700$ with free shipping.

Adding your province would probably help to find more local deals.
coleman1495

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 08:11:18 AM »

Alberta. Specifically Edmonton area
averagejoe

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 12:11:19 AM »

Well, unless you find a local place having a clear out that will most likely be your best price.
ModernMan

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 04:54:08 PM »

Welcome to the forum coleman

Many up in the great white north use the keg year round even at -25 blowing, it does well.

I will let them reply on specifics 

Quick question re. Winter useage.
Wouldnt there be lots of condensation or ice buildup eventually inbetween the keg's chambers (where the insulation is situated) due to the significant contrast in temperature betweeen the inside and outside walls of the keg, ... which would ultimately melt, hence create a puddle and perhaps cause rust?

Obviously itll take many years before perforation ... if it ever takes place that is.

coleman1495

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 06:06:13 PM »

I haven't thought about corrosion between the layers yet. It will be interesting to see if that occurs.

I brought home a BSK 4000. It was the last one left and was discounted 25% since it was the floor model.

I have been playing with it. So far (and we haven't had any real cold weather) it seems unaffected by the cold weather. I have a bit of learning to do on it. I haven't figured out how to do low and slow yet.
Cajunate
4X Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 06:12:01 PM »

Congrates on joining the family of Keg owners. Of course the latest is probably the best but any incarnation of steel Keg is an awesome cooker.

"Good grillin' is like good lovin' "
  Just outside of New Orleans
Cajunate
4X Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 06:13:09 PM »

We're like monkeys picking fleas off each other when it comes to seeing pictures of others cooks so get that Keg to cookin'!!!

"Good grillin' is like good lovin' "
  Just outside of New Orleans
bubbagump

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 10:08:02 AM »

Keg + winter = good food all year round.

I live in Toronto so we don't get as extreme weather as you guys in Alberta but I've used my Keg sub zero temps easily. I've never used it in a snow storm though but I have done a cook when I started then snow and get windy. Only impact was to adjust the vents as the temp rose up. A wind guard would be an easy fix for this.

I haven't really thought about the condensation issue you mentioned. I would be interested in what other think about this though.
coleman1495

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 01:31:44 PM »

I am excited to test it out in some seriously cold weather. I will update you guys on the success of lets say some windy -25c. Fortunately we haven't had any yet Smiley

I was thinking about the condensation issue while having a beer the other day. I don't think it will be an issue. Correct me if I am wrong, but condensation occurs when warm air (which can hold more moisture) contacts cooler air. The cooler air lowers the temperature of the warm air to the point where the moisture condenses out (dewpoint). I guess it wouldn't even have to strictly apply to cooler air but also to other things such as a window or my beer.

Anyways in order to prevent this in buildings we have a vapour barrier on the inside. This keeps air from flowing from the warmer inside of the building to the cooler outside and condensing in the walls.In the case of the keg the interior is a solid metal sheet. Looking at the way the keg is designed, I cant possibly see how the warm air from inside the keg could make its way where the insulation is. I think we are safe on this issue.
bubbagump

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 06:36:15 PM »

Would be curious to hear from the long time owners to see if this is really an issue.
coleman1495

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 03:10:35 PM »

Alright I have been using my keg for a couple months now. Have had the opportunity to test it in some fairly frigid temperatures. Fortunately the coldest we have had so far has been -20C.

It works great in the cold Smiley It will easily exceed any cooking temperature that you could possibly want. Even in miserable conditions it will pull off 700+ without a problem.There is definitely drawbacks to cooking in the cold. The first is the increased warm up time. It takes lot longer to bring a frosty cold keg up to temperature. The overall time a person would have to wait until it reaches burger frying temps is increased. Kind of an expected though.The second is issue is how much it cools off when you open the lid. You dont want to open the lid unless you absolutely have to. The temp can drop a couple hundred degrees by the time you can flip your burgers. It then takes a while to warm back up again. The burgers will be done before your desired temp is reached.

I found using a cast iron frying pan in the keg really helps out with cold weather cooking. Seems to help hold the heat when you open the lid.

The only real issue I have found is the darn top vent sticking shut. It gets grease in it and totally freezes shut. This happens after I close the vents when I am done cooking.The next time I go to use my keg I cant get the top vent to move. I have to get a hot chimney full of coals in the keg and close the lid for a while until the vent thaws. This will almost put my coals out before I can get the vent to move. Anybody have any ideas about what to do with this issue?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: