Broil King Keg Forum
January 21, 2018, 07:37:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Electric smoker URGENT  (Read 5530 times)
PascL
Keg Hero Of The Month - 3x Throwdown Champion

« on: October 06, 2015, 01:08:56 PM »

Hey guys, Looking for a new electric smoker for my restaurant, (its our only option due to space and operation)
I am looking at the bradley, the cookshack smokette, and the masterbuilt
One uses pellets, one uses chunks, and one uses chips, does anyone have preference??
in my head, chips are best but I am unsure. Let me know anything you can about brands and such, thanks!!

if anyone has any other options let me know, Trying to aim to spend under $800 canadian... so right now thats like $6 bucks american 

Cookin' in the cold
Regular Guy
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 01:26:24 PM »

You're going to need and NSF smoker (for commercial use). A masterbuilt will not be a good choice. A Bradley will NOT be a good choice either as it uses proprietary discs. So....that leaves either the Cookshack which is listed for commercial use (NSF) or you can buy what I have, which is made as well as a cookshack for a fraction of the cost and is also NSF. Smokin-It smokers. I have the #3 which should serve you well. It is deep enough to hold a full packer brisket and full racks of ribs, no cutting. The #1 and #2 can't hold a full packer and ribs have to be cut but it does everything else great. Chickens and Butts, fish or whatever will work fine in a #1 or #2. If you want to go all out, there is a #4 which is a beast.

Skinsandos
Keg Hero of the Month - 8X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Winter Springs, FL --- Light It Up

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 01:47:28 PM »

I have a masterbuilt and it has served me well for a few years using chips and I added a Smoke Daddy to do cold smoking for cheese and like.

Hunt - Fish - Kegvection Grilling
Regular Guy
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 01:55:17 PM »

One other thing to note, the Smokin-It uses very little wood and is insulated very well. It does not need any other apparatus to add additional smoke unless you want to cold smoke like Skins said.. You can smoke a brisket or a butt using 5-6oz of wood. Small chunks or chips. Ribs need only 2oz of wood. I use chunks, mix it up with a little hickory or apple or peach. Does an amazing job although some purists don't like the idea of an electric smoker, it's all about taste and it does a fine job as far as I'm concerned.

Nice bark eh?

If you are only going to use it on occasion, a Masterbuilt may work for you but keep in mind it is NOT rated for commercial use like a Cookshack or SI.
Cajunate
4X Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 02:00:21 PM »

I don't know if size is an issue but for $800.00 you're kinda limited. Cookshack or Smokin' Tex would be my suggestion.

"Good grillin' is like good lovin' "
  Just outside of New Orleans
Regular Guy
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 02:08:29 PM »

http://www.smokin-it.com/Smoker_p/smkmdl3.htm

For the $$$$, you can't beat it! Smokin Tex has a commercial series that is far more expensive if you want NSF certification. You've asked for opinions and you've gotten several, now it's your call since it's your money, lol. Good luck!!
PascL

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 05:03:41 PM »

Awesome I'll look. We had a master built and don't get me wrong it did s good job on chicken and ribs but it couldn't keep up and we burned it right out. I'll look into these? Keep the advice coming you guys rock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cookin' in the cold
PascL

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 06:46:32 PM »

These are the four ive narrowed too, measuring my counter tomorrow to see if that limits, let me know what you think. I dont want to smoke using pellets or discs, wood chunks only or chips only!

smokin it model 2 or 3 or cookshack smokette elite or cook shack supersmoker

have a look if you got time and let me know your opinions! So glad to be able to bring our bbq passion into my kitchen at work now as well haha!

Cookin' in the cold
Regular Guy
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 03:10:25 PM »

These are the four ive narrowed too, measuring my counter tomorrow to see if that limits, let me know what you think. I dont want to smoke using pellets or discs, wood chunks only or chips only!

smokin it model 2 or 3 or cookshack smokette elite or cook shack supersmoker

have a look if you got time and let me know your opinions! So glad to be able to bring our bbq passion into my kitchen at work now as well haha!

Again, for the $$$, Smokin-It is what I'd say and I have experience with it so I can vouch for it. Also, it IS NSF endorsed so it is rated for commercial use. Hard to match that with the other brands, you actually can't match it for the money. The model 2 will not let you cook a full packer brisket or an uncut rack of ribs, that's why I went with the #3.

I've heard that the people who started Smokin Tex and Smokin-It used to work at Cook Shack and left and started making their own smokers. They look pretty much identical! Whatever you choose, they're all going to work well for you. Just don't expect a smoke ring, you're not going to get it unless you cheat. I brine my pork butts and add a little pink salt to give a faux smoke ring. The smoke ring doesn't make the food taste any different but people like to see it as you eat with your eyes first!! 

1 tsp of pink salt per gallon of brine is all you need.
PascL

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 08:11:41 AM »

Beauty advice. No need for smoke rings without the cure in my eyes anyhow, just like Franklin bbq says! I'll keep y'all posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cookin' in the cold
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: