Broil King Keg Forum
October 19, 2018, 09:43:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with my purchase.  (Read 4632 times)
Repoman

« on: September 16, 2015, 06:58:52 PM »

Which way to go?  I've been looking at the BGE, as well as the Big Joe.  I like them and their size, but not the weight or price.  I stumbled across the BSK and it caught my attention.  My main reason it is half the price over the others mentioned,  but is it as good?  My 8 year old gas grill died and it needs replaced.  I want to upgrade to something better and do some real bbq cooking and cook some meat the way God intended.  Will I be happy with the $800.00 BSK, or much happier with the Big Joe or BGE?
billsfan
2X Keg Hero of the Month; Mexican Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Charlotte, NC

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 07:18:25 PM »

I bought a Bubba Keg 5 1/2 years ago on clearance at Home Depot. I like it so much I started searching for another and 2 1/2 years ago BJs had the BSK 2000 and I bought it. My two kegs were less than one BGE which I had lusted over for a long time.

Some of the other guys on the board have some  of the ceramics too so they can give a better opinion but I like mine a lot

Dan
Vindii
2X Hero of the Month ~ 2X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 06:00:15 AM »

You wont be disappointed purchasing a Broil King Keg over a big green egg.  It cooks the same and its portable.  Awesome grill/smoker.

See post 18
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=oovcf0ho0f6b61ce5v721lodo7&topic=4485.15

They are closed minded idiots (did I just say that?? YEP!) and they can't see the usefulness of other types of cookers.
PascL
Keg Hero Of The Month - 3x Throwdown Champion

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 09:30:54 PM »

Only really cheaper due to name and material, but a wicked product, plus getting involved on this forum is HUGE bonus!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cookin' in the cold
Kmatt
Hero of the Month - Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 09:39:40 PM »

Only really cheaper due to name and material, but a wicked product, plus getting involved on this forum is HUGE bonus!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree.  This is the only forum that will tell you how to use a kamado grill.  If you ask anything, you will always get an answer from these good folks.  That is worth a lot in of itself.
bubbagump

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 07:49:04 PM »

Just thought I would mention a couple of more things other than what the guys have already mentioned, if it helps you decide.

Exterior shell temperature - when I was looking, I didn't realize how much of a factor this was. The keg doesn't transfer heat on it's exterior as much as the ceramics. I only have a small deck area and when I'm often cooking, the kids will be playing around as well. Other than the bottom vent area, the rest of the keg is fairly cool to touch if any accidental bumps happen. Also, for winter cooking this is a plus, you won't have to worry about the ceramic cracking in extreme cold temps and you are trying to sear a steak at 600F.

Mods - if you look at the Mod section of this forum, you will see that creating little gadgets is so easy to do for the keg because of the metal construction. Need a rain hat? All you need is some magnets and a metal pie plate. If you are adventurous, you can install dedicated ports by drilling on the side of the keg for temp controller fans or probes. You can even install a built in rotisserie! You're options will be limited with the ceramic since you can't really drill any holes or stick anything on the shell.

I don't think you can really go wrong with any of your choices though, Keg, Joe, or BGE. These are all excellent products. Good luck on your choice!
78 T140E

Davie, FL

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 01:24:34 AM »

<snip>
Mods - if you look at the Mod section of this forum, you will see that creating little gadgets is so easy to do for the keg because of the metal construction. Need a rain hat? All you need is some magnets and a metal pie plate. If you are adventurous, you can install dedicated ports by drilling on the side of the keg for temp controller fans or probes. You can even install a built in rotisserie! You're options will be limited with the ceramic since you can't really drill any holes or stick anything on the shell.

I don't think you can really go wrong with any of your choices though, Keg, Joe, or BGE. These are all excellent products. Good luck on your choice!

On the other hand, if you like some of those accessories for the BGE, the Keg is so closely modeled on the size and shape of the Large BGE that grates and accessories are interchangeable.  Many folks on the forum here use the BGE 'plate setter' (convEGGtor) as their heat diffuser for in-direct and low 'n slow cooking.

Walter

"If life gives you limes, make margaritas." - Jimmy Buffett
Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. - George Orwell
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: