Broil King Keg Forum
May 25, 2018, 12:37:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Its 1-2-3 recipes in one! fun with smoked eggs (long)  (Read 6613 times)
GrillSarge
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Doggie water taxi service http://www.zeemaps.com/k

« on: May 01, 2010, 05:29:19 PM »

Okay here's something different I do.  Smoked hard boiled eggs.  1.  set up the keg at 225 or 250 with the heaviest smoke you can muster.  I find hickory to be the most complimentary wood for this.  Take some hard boiled eggs and throw them in the smoke for 3-5 minutes.

Recipe number 1 is just that, smoked hard boiled egg.  I cut them in half before going in to maximize the surface area for the smoke.  A note on hard boiled eggs.  I find  17 minutes at the boil and immediately into cold water, to be the best method.  For this you want the eggs just barely done because the smokey heat will finish them up nicely.  The surface of the whites should be a solid tan color when done. It was difficult to get a good picture of this but I think you can see it.

The next trick is to make them into smokey deviled eggs.  Take the egg halves and dump the yolks into a bowl, add mustard and mayo in roughly equal  proportions, I myself add slightly more mustard.  Of course I use my Jalapeno mustard but any you mustard you like is fine.  For 10 halves I use 1.5 Tbsp. each but this is a personal choice add that which achieve the consistency you like best.  Spoon the mix back into the eggs and sprinkle with cayenne to your taste.  They have a pleasant mild smokiness.  You could likely duplicate it with a little liquid smoke, but what kind of fun would that be!

Last, Smoked egg salad.  Take whatever additions you like and throw them in the bowl.  In my house hold that's equal amounts of celery, green pepper, chopped dill pickles  and onion.  Not Relish!  Relish is too wet.  Then chop and add the smoked eggs in this case, 12.  Then add equal amounts again of mustard and mayo. 1/3 of a cup of each suites me but you may like it drier or wetter.  Add 1 Tbsp of black pepper and 1 tsp of cayenne and mix thoroughly.  Last 1 lb package of bacon, keg smoked, chopped and mixed in.  Great in wraps, sandwiches or as a salad.  Has amilder smoke taste than the deviled eggs but its still there.

The Black Cauldrons of Celtic myth.  Known as Undri, The Irish God the Dagda's cauldron from which no one leaves hungry or unsatisfied and Amen the Welsh Goddess Ceridwen's vessel from which flows wisdom and inspiration.  Also the cauldron of Annwn  that won't cook the food of a coward.
sconner
Resident Keg Mad Scientist

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 06:18:37 PM »

Wasn't too interested (don't care for hard boiled/deviled eggs too much) until I saw a keg full of bacon!    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

sconner
BakonGrill
Superhero Member

A couple miles from Horse Shoe, NC

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 06:52:38 PM »

This post must be banished forthwith to the Recipe section-- man, I love deviled eggs. Never had them smoked before, but I can almost taste it. This is a keeper.

BakonG
Ricky Bobby
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 08:19:15 PM »

I agree.  New, novel, bacon.  What's not to love?

RB
Boat-n-BBQ
2x BKCG Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Go fast ~ Cook slow... Marietta, GA

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 08:19:58 AM »

OK, Eric,

I'm on board Grin  This looks great!!!!!!!!

Boat

BKCG's SN#389 (salt) at the lake  SN#1686 (pepper) On permanent loan to SIL
BSK's SN#5045, SN#6278, SN#6403, SN#6990 (The competition fleet) Powered by BBQ Guru DigiQ's!
KCBS/CBJ   http://www.facebook.com/boatnbbq
scootr14
Team Keg

Sweetwater, Texas

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 02:31:45 PM »

Yep, going out to buy bacon now.  Dang that makes me hungry.

If you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'.
yobee250

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 05:58:43 PM »

tried the smoked eggs turned into egg salad with smoked bacon celery&onion. it's like heaven in your mouth great recipe!!! Cheesy

If you smell a delicious crispy smell after the race it's not your tailpipe. It's a little bit a shake and then bake!
wraith81

Oklahoma City, OK

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 08:07:22 PM »

Got some of these going tonight.  Taking them to work tomorrow for a birthday party. 

* eggs.jpg (121.7 KB, 800x600 - viewed 377 times.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: