Broil King Keg Forum
August 17, 2018, 07:59:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Kegger in the Twin Cities  (Read 1436 times)
Thomas J.

« on: July 08, 2015, 09:36:54 PM »

Hello, folks! After about six months of online shopping/comparing/contrasting the benefits and detriments of various Kamado-style grills, I finally settled on the BKK. I almost bought the BKK5000 from Amazon, but saw there was a three week wait for shipping, and I didn't want to wait that long to play with my new toy. I couldn't find a BKK at any dealer in my area initially, but saw that a local Ace Hardware was offering a deal on a BKK 4000. I called the store, and was sent to another Ace location (Albertville, MN), where I was told they had two Kegs in stock. When I got to the store, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that they actually had a BKK5000, fully equipped. I brought my Keg home on June 14.

Since I got the Keg, it's been busy. I started by cooking four beer can chickens, then took my first foray into "low and slow" with a Boston butt. It turned out well, but the constant babysitting of the grill got me to order a Tip Top Temp unit, largely based on the previous recommendations of you fine folks. Last (July 4) weekend, the Keg was used for burgers, brats, steaks, and more chicken. This weekend, I'm picking up a few racks of ribs, which I'll cook at about 220 degrees overnight (thanks, TTT!). Looking forward to sharing with and learning from you all, new friends!
Skinsandos
Keg Hero of the Month - 8X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Winter Springs, FL --- Light It Up

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 03:00:14 AM »

Thomas welcome to the forum - sounds like you are getting the hang of it

Just a tip ribs are not an overnight cook

at 220 St.Louis or Spares are 5-6 hours and babybacks are 3.5-4.5 hours - do the bend test to know when they are perfect

Have fun ask and post away

Michael

Hunt - Fish - Kegvection Grilling
Slow Smoke

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 03:02:12 AM »

Welcome to the forum.
I have learned a lot from the great people here.
Meathead
Cajunate
4X Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 05:38:02 AM »

Welcome to the forum.
Man, we're getting a bit of an influx of new Keg owners. You new guys should consider joining us at Kegtoberfest 2015. http://forum.bigsteelkeg.com/index.php?topic=15011.0

"Good grillin' is like good lovin' "
  Just outside of New Orleans
billsfan
2X Keg Hero of the Month; Mexican Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Charlotte, NC

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 06:22:48 AM »

Welcome

Dan
Yanknrebel
Chicken Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

You want sauce on that??? --Atoka TN

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 01:17:27 PM »

Welcome!!  Post up some pics of those cooks!!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson
Regular Guy
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 10:51:39 AM »

Glad to see the Keg Population is increasing! Welcome aboard, you made a great purchase and will be making new friends both here and in your neighborhood Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: