Broil King Keg Forum
August 17, 2018, 08:00:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: introduction from Boston  (Read 2681 times)
Khammitte

« on: July 08, 2015, 03:08:47 AM »

Hello,

I purchased my Keg last year after an exhaustive search.  I have spent less time deciding on car purchases.  the Napoleon gasser now sits forlorn in the patio corner, just taking up space. Completed my second low and slow yesterday (ribs) and thanks to all the information on this forum I was able to maintain 220's relatively easily for 6 hours, even on a blustery day.  I was a little skeptical by the claims that moving the vent in absurdly small increments would impact temps substantially, but, obviously my skepticism was unwarranted.   I have a TTT on order, but now I wonder if I even need it. 

Again, thanks for all your help

Keith
Jamaica Plain, MA
Skinsandos
Keg Hero of the Month - 8X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Winter Springs, FL --- Light It Up

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 04:25:48 AM »

Welcome to the forum Khammitte - keg, post and ask away

Michael

Hunt - Fish - Kegvection Grilling
billsfan
2X Keg Hero of the Month; Mexican Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Charlotte, NC

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 05:55:45 AM »

Welcome!

Dan
Vindii
2X Hero of the Month ~ 2X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 06:09:11 AM »

Welcome!

See post 18
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=oovcf0ho0f6b61ce5v721lodo7&topic=4485.15

They are closed minded idiots (did I just say that?? YEP!) and they can't see the usefulness of other types of cookers.
Yanknrebel
Chicken Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

You want sauce on that??? --Atoka TN

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 06:10:34 AM »

Welcome!!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson
Cajunate
4X Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 07:36:06 AM »

Glad you joined us here!

"Good grillin' is like good lovin' "
  Just outside of New Orleans
firehouse17

Re:
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 06:23:03 AM »

TTT is a very nice product to keep your grill at a steady temp. Mine works great!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
lunchman
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Central Mass.

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 08:52:53 AM »

Welcome and have fun with your new toy.

Always good to see another New Englander in the forum.

Bubba Keg, Goldens' Cast Iron Cooker, Bayou Classic Cypress Ceramic, Thermos gas
Khammitte

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2015, 03:11:14 PM »

Thank you for the all the welcomes

This week be doing ribs again and pizza for the first time.  Any suggestions would be welcome.   

Keith
Regular Guy
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 10:49:40 AM »

Sorry I am late to the party! Welcome to you, you'll find the folks here to be a good group of keggers with a lot of knowledge. What are you looking for help on> Ribs or Pizza or both?
Khammitte

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 02:38:38 PM »

The pizza, but I forgot to check the replies.   I tried it two nights ago.  My wife made the dough.   Used eggplant from the garden along with some blue cheese.  Topped with some arugula.  Turned out really well.  The keg was at 700+ and the pizza was in for less than 3 minutes.  quite satisfactory.

Made ribs again yesterday, somewhat less satisfactory.   I thought all was well.  The Maverick was reading pretty much where i wanted it.  Went out later and something did not seem right.  Opened it up and the fire was out.  The maverick was still reading 235, or something thereabouts.

Brought the ribs in, wrapped them in tin foil and put them into the oven for a couple of hours.  Edible, but not nearly as good as my first effort.

the maverick, sitting on my dining table, was still reading in the 200's.  It was hot yesterday, but not that hot.  Anyone else have this kind of problem with the maverick (732)?

Keith

bamabob
2X Hero of the Month ~ 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

my dog can't hold her licker

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 02:41:04 PM »

I've had problems with the probes on my maverick.  but not reading a wrong temp, just giving an error.
you have an extra probe to try?

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.
Khammitte

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 03:15:00 PM »

I do now.  ordered and received a new probe, but it is too muggy for me to much interested in firing up a large fire.
Leefra
Keg Hero Of The Month
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2015, 10:45:41 AM »

Hey Keith, nice to meet you. We have all experienced fire problems. Less and less as you gain knowledge. Lots of subtleties going on. Enjoy the great stuff on your keg.

Lee

Westchester, NY
K'man
Superhero Member

Newfoundland

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 03:50:15 PM »

WELCOME Khammitte.  Is it possible given the heat the Keg just hadn't cooled down and the maverick was working as it should?  I have a 732 and it's pretty reliable.  It's not hard to snuff a fire especially when starting out try to stay on the low end.  The TTT will be an asset for you I'm sure.

So many recipes, so little time.
BSK 5000, TTT,  Maverick 732,
Thermapen, Maverick laser.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: