Broil King Keg Forum
February 18, 2018, 03:23:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Next Comp, Pell City, AL  (Read 4208 times)
Boat-n-BBQ
2x BKCG Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Go fast ~ Cook slow... Marietta, GA

« on: June 16, 2010, 04:21:37 AM »

Hey all,

Our next Competition is at Logan Martin Lake Saturday June 19, 2010  Lakeside Park, Pell City, AL.  This is hosted by "American Bass Anglers" and has a battle of the bands competition also. Here is the link http://www.ababbq.com/loganmartin.php I hope some of you will be there.  If not, wish me luck.  I can always use it! LoL

Thanks,
Boat

BKCG's SN#389 (salt) at the lake  SN#1686 (pepper) On permanent loan to SIL
BSK's SN#5045, SN#6278, SN#6403, SN#6990 (The competition fleet) Powered by BBQ Guru DigiQ's!
KCBS/CBJ   http://www.facebook.com/boatnbbq
ronbeaux
BSK Hero of the Month; Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Zachary, Louisiana

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 02:31:57 PM »

Good luck!

Is it burnt??
FLbobecu
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 06:11:57 AM »

Good luck Boat!
scootr14
Team Keg

Sweetwater, Texas

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 08:15:00 AM »

Give it to em Boat.

If you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'.
Boat-n-BBQ
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 08:48:59 AM »

Thanks guys,

I really appreciate the support!!!  I'll try and get some pics of the comp to post.

Boat

BSK's SN#5045, SN#6278, SN#6403, SN#6990 (The competition fleet) Powered by BBQ Guru DigiQ's!
Boat-n-BBQ
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 04:25:22 PM »

Hey All,

We made it back from the Pell City Comp with a 1st place win in Ribs! Shocked!  We managed to place 7th overall Cool  There were 28 Pro teams total and more than a few were top notch teams. 

The First Mate and I are both really happy with how it went.  In spite of plus 100* weather and a short, but fierce storm we thought we did our best so far.  Our cooks and turn ins went very smooth.  The BKCGs w/Gurus cooked  rock solid as always. The new BSKs (still manual) ran all night with no tweaking needed and varied less than 20*.  I was actually able to get a few hours of good sleep

We didnt take many pics, but I think if you look at them youll be able to tell we had a good time.....
http://s683.photobucket.com/albums/vv197/allwet58/Pell%20City%20Comp%202010/?albumview=slideshow

We were thinking of taking July off for a little rest and lake time, but the 1st place win has relooking at upcoming comps.  Well let you know whats next for Boat-n-BBQ as soon as we figure it out! Wink LoL

Thanks,
Boat

fan1970
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 04:38:26 PM »

WAY TO GO BOAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not always right, but I always have an opinion.

My two favorite NFL teams are Dallas and ANYBODY that plays Washington
fan1970
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 04:43:32 PM »

How did you do you ribs if I may ask, not so much rub but how long, bone up or bone down, mop sauce and liquid sprayer, foil or not?    Not wanting any secrets just wondering a way to do my ribs better because I am still used to offset firebox ribs and I thought who better to get advice from than a champion.

Porchpup

Smoking With Bubba in Celina, TX

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 04:45:42 PM »

Wow! You are a rock star. Congrats and way to represent.  Grin

2009 Bubba Keg #3258.
For Sale--1998 Red Weber Performer, 2008 22.5" WSM and 2009 UniFlame Gold Gasser
TAURUS BBQ
2x Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Niagara Falls, Ontario

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 06:26:02 PM »

Excellent Boat,congrats!!

TAURUS BBQ - Championship Cooking
Eat well my friends, eat well!
cls

Allen, TX

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 04:26:22 AM »

Congrats, Boat!  Very nice!
Boat-n-BBQ
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 08:41:19 AM »

Thanks all, we are a long way from Rock Star status... LoL  Only two Pro comps guys, but its a good start.

Id like to thank everyone on the forum too.  Being a part of this group and exchanging ideas with all of you has made me a better cook

How did you do you ribs if I may ask, not so much rub but how long, bone up or bone down, mop sauce and liquid sprayer, foil or not?    Not wanting any secrets just wondering a way to do my ribs better because I am still used to offset firebox ribs and I thought who better to get advice from than a champion.
Sure, this is exactly what I do!

1. Take the ribs out and apply a light coat of evoo and what ever rub you like about 1 hour before you cook.
2. Cook at 250* with a diffuser (I use 50/50 apple and hickory chunks, just a few of each)
3. Spares = 5 hours or Baby Backs = 4 hours, bone side down,
4. The top rack is best and/or put the lower rack in the upper position.  You will still have room to use the top rack.
5. no spritz, no spray, no foil, don't peek to much.. (you just don't need it on a Keg!)
6. If you want to add a glaze - apply twice during the last 30 min of the cook.

Give it a try and post your results!
Boat

Sooner21
BKCG Hero of the Month

Austin, TX

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 11:19:45 AM »

Nice goin Boat! 
fan1970
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 11:56:55 AM »

Thanks all, we are a long way from Rock Star status... LoL  Only two Pro comps guys, but its a good start.

Id like to thank everyone on the forum too.  Being a part of this group and exchanging ideas with all of you has made me a better cook
Sure, this is exactly what I do!

1. Take the ribs out and apply a light coat of evoo and what ever rub you like about 1 hour before you cook.
2. Cook at 250* with a diffuser (I use 50/50 apple and hickory chunks, just a few of each)
3. Spares = 5 hours or Baby Backs = 4 hours, bone side down,
4. The top rack is best and/or put the lower rack in the upper position.  You will still have room to use the top rack.
5. no spritz, no spray, no foil, don't peek to much.. (you just don't need it on a Keg!)
6. If you want to add a glaze - apply twice during the last 30 min of the cook.

Give it a try and post your results!
Boat
Thanks Boat I will try soon as it quits raining up here, I am thinking about building an ark if it doesnt.
It sounds like I have been over cooking on my few experiments so I am anxious to try this.  One thing I have done in my offset to keep from spraying or mopping was placing thick, fatty pepper bacon on my ribs when I have not used a rib rack. It always tasted fantastic and kept the ribs nice and juicy. I quit doing this when I started the foil method 3-2-1.  I have not tried the bacon while doing the ribs on the keg yet, do you think it would still work good with the method you suggested?   Thanks again

Boat-n-BBQ
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 12:12:39 PM »

Fan,

I don't know, but it's hard to argue with adding bacon to anything! LoL  I may have to try that with 2 slabs of ribs side by side (one with and one w/o bacon) and see how it goes.  If you beat me to it post your results!

Boat

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: