Broil King Keg Forum
January 21, 2018, 07:38:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A few questions about the 5000 to help me decide which to get  (Read 7682 times)
averagejoe

« on: April 15, 2015, 09:55:59 AM »

Hello everybody,

So I have a bit of a conundrum on my hands. I have been looking at getting a keg for a while and new model has my interest but I have a few questions that hopefully can be answered by those that have the 5000. I am writing this while in the grip of a man cold so buying big expensive things seems like a great idea right now.  Wink

I will have to order it online since I live in a very small town so I cannot just go down and take a peek myself.. I will probably have to special order in some lump charcoal to the Home Hardware since I do not think they normally carry it either.

Is it possible to attach a digital temperature controller/fan to the 5000? With the new air vent on the front it seems that you would have to make up something to cover the entire vent since you can't slide the fan port into place any more. Is it possible to remove the rotating part or is it riveted into place?

Have you had any leaks with the new tray? I saw in one thread that there was a bit of a leak around the locking knobs after the vents were closed down after a cook/burn in.

If I hire a woodchuck to make my charcoal how much charcoal can a woodchuck cook?   Grin

Thanks for any help/advice.
Vindii
2X Hero of the Month ~ 2X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 10:37:11 AM »

I think the Weber kettle adapter for the pitmaster IQ will work on the front vent.

A lot of hardware stores carry lump charcoal. 

See post 18
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=oovcf0ho0f6b61ce5v721lodo7&topic=4485.15

They are closed minded idiots (did I just say that?? YEP!) and they can't see the usefulness of other types of cookers.
uncle
Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Let it rain or snow

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 12:55:38 PM »

I have the 5000 and love it as far as the temp get the tip top temp controller  there 30.00  you wont regred it I use mine on everything I cook, got some pork steaks on right now. if you get the tip top get some magnets I got these called super magnets I got at home depot and they work great they keep the TTT on when you open the dome, cost was 3.98 had no leaks.

as far as charcoal check out fire craft, I here that rockwood is some good stuff next time I order i'm going to get some.

http://www.firecraft.com/category/hardwood-charcoal
averagejoe

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 03:50:03 PM »

I think the Weber kettle adapter for the pitmaster IQ will work on the front vent.

A lot of hardware stores carry lump charcoal. 

Unfortunately I live in a small redneck mountain town an hour and a half away from the next town. Our hardware store has Kingsford briquettes in stock. Apparently a lot of the people here like the instalight kind since you do not need a chimney or lighter fluid.  Lips sealed

I have the 5000 and love it as far as the temp get the tip top temp controller  there 30.00  you wont regred it I use mine on everything I cook, got some pork steaks on right now. if you get the tip top get some magnets I got these called super magnets I got at home depot and they work great they keep the TTT on when you open the dome, cost was 3.98 had no leaks.

as far as charcoal check out fire craft, I here that rockwood is some good stuff next time I order i'm going to get some.

http://www.firecraft.com/category/hardwood-charcoal

Thanks for the pictures. The TTT was something I was considering. I was just planning towards the future in regards to the vent. Have you noticed any leaks with your bottom tray?

I live in Canada so that website is out for me. This post should bring me up the required amount of posts so I can edit that info into my profile.
billsfan
2X Keg Hero of the Month; Mexican Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Charlotte, NC

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 04:49:06 PM »

joe,

tip top temp is offering free shipping to Canada this month.

http://forum.bigsteelkeg.com/index.php?topic=15964.0

Dan
Focuspuller
2X Keg Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 05:22:43 PM »

Unfortunately I live in a small redneck mountain town an hour and a half away from the next town. Our hardware store has Kingsford briquettes in stock.

Kingsford makes a LUMP CHARCOAL.  Maybe they can order some for you

KEG 4000
Broil King Imperial XL Gas
Yoder YS640/Competition Cart
averagejoe

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 06:34:37 PM »

joe,

tip top temp is offering free shipping to Canada this month.

http://forum.bigsteelkeg.com/index.php?topic=15964.0

Yup, it is on my list of things to buy along with a cast iron platesetter Cheesy

Kingsford makes a LUMP CHARCOAL.  Maybe they can order some for you

The only reason they carry kingsford is because it is what sells. I can order in Que coconut briquettes, Maple Leaf lump and briquettes, or True Cue lump and have it delivered to the store for free. Oddly enough Kingsford lump is not on the list.
K'man
Superhero Member

Newfoundland

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 04:51:56 AM »

Joe get the Maple Leaf lump.  It is by far the best bang for the buck and Home Hardware sells it.  It's very highly rated.  I'm moving to Newfoundland and I will be relying on the Home Hardware chain there for my charcoal.  I would not worry about the bottom vent if you use the TTT.  It will give you great control and you will not need an ATC.

If you are looking for a heat sink/diffuser also consider the Broil King grilling stone.  It's a lot less money and is 15" in diameter and 3/4" thick.  They sit nicely on the B/K metal diffuser rack.  I really like the diffuser kit as I will foil the metal pan leaving an airspace, catch the drippings and make gravy  The stone is about $30.00 now and and the diffuser kit about $50.00  Home Hardware should be able to get either or both from B/K too. 

So many recipes, so little time.
BSK 5000, TTT,  Maverick 732,
Thermapen, Maverick laser.
averagejoe

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 11:25:44 AM »

Joe get the Maple Leaf lump.  It is by far the best bang for the buck and Home Hardware sells it.  It's very highly rated.  I'm moving to Newfoundland and I will be relying on the Home Hardware chain there for my charcoal.  I would not worry about the bottom vent if you use the TTT.  It will give you great control and you will not need an ATC.

If you are looking for a heat sink/diffuser also consider the Broil King grilling stone.  It's a lot less money and is 15" in diameter and 3/4" thick.  They sit nicely on the B/K metal diffuser rack.  I really like the diffuser kit as I will foil the metal pan leaving an airspace, catch the drippings and make gravy  The stone is about $30.00 now and and the diffuser kit about $50.00  Home Hardware should be able to get either or both from B/K too. 

Thanks for the heads up about the stone. I can order the diffuser and the stone thankfully. Now just to wait for paypal to finish transferring funds so I can get the Keg ordered   Grin
uncle
Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Let it rain or snow

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 12:22:53 PM »

Thanks for the pictures. The TTT was something I was considering. I was just planning towards the future in regards to the vent. Have you noticed any leaks with your bottom tray?

I live in Canada so that website is out for me. This post should bring me up the required amount of posts so I can edit that info into my profile.
[/quote]

Mine does not leak, and I would get the TTT
K'man
Superhero Member

Newfoundland

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2015, 01:56:40 PM »

Thanks for the heads up about the stone. I can order the diffuser and the stone thankfully. Now just to wait for paypal to finish transferring funds so I can get the Keg ordered   Grin

Don't overlook the 2000.  All you need is to order the top rack from B/K unless you want the wheels.  The 2000 has the traditional slide vent and no wheels but they are light enough not hard to move around.

Sometimes simple is just as good but at the end of the day it's whatever makes you happy.  You will love the Keg either way!

So many recipes, so little time.
BSK 5000, TTT,  Maverick 732,
Thermapen, Maverick laser.
Vindii
2X Hero of the Month ~ 2X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 02:00:45 PM »

No shelves on the 2000 also.

See post 18
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=oovcf0ho0f6b61ce5v721lodo7&topic=4485.15

They are closed minded idiots (did I just say that?? YEP!) and they can't see the usefulness of other types of cookers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: