Broil King Keg Forum
August 21, 2018, 08:49:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BBQ Dragon Fire fan  (Read 10274 times)
Leefra
Keg Hero Of The Month
Superhero Member

« on: April 06, 2015, 11:07:35 AM »

Here is my initial review of the BBQ Dragon Fire fan. I purchased it form Amazon. $49.95 (with free PRIME shipping). It came nicely boxed, packaged in a vacuum molded lightweight tray. Quality was apparent. 4 alkaline AA batteries included. The unit will support rechargeable, and has a micro USB port for charging. A rotary variable speed control, with built in off switch is located on one of the clamp handles, good location, handy. The clamp is sufficiently strong to hold the unit firmly in place. The clamp rubber pads are have a slight convex curve to grip a thin shell if necessary. They grip the keg stand relatively securely. A moveable pad would have been a better option for our particular application , I think. It does hold OK though. The gooseneck is stiff enough to keep the fan in place, and appears to be chrome plated. The fan housing is brushed stainless steel. A computer muffin fan screen is on the outlet end. The motor and fan support and integral intake screen are molded plastic. With a slight pull , I was able to remove the whole inside section. It looks like a hobby motor with a plastic fan blade attached. The wires are soldered onto the motor.
The motor whine is audible at all speeds, but is not excessive IMHO.
I did a test to see how fast it would bring the keg up to 600 deg. I used 3- 1"  pieces of wax starter stick, placed at approx. 120 degs, bottom of Royal Oak lump. I allowed the starter to burn out, vents wide open, and then closed the bottom vent to approximate fan diameter. Put the fan in place and turned in on max.
It was timed by the minute, not by seconds, that accounts for the slight variation in times. Temp readings done using original dome thermometer.
11:53- lit starters
11:59- started fan on max
12:04- 200F
12:05- 300F
12:07- 400F
12:08- 500F
12:09- 600F
Shutdown
I was duly impressed with the speed in which the temps rose.
I am happy with the unit and hope it lasts. It does come with a 2 year warranty. Made in China

**Update**
After using a couple of times, i did notice more carbon (soot) inside the keg. Nothing I'm worrying about, must be from forcing the fire, but it is noticeable.

.photobucket.com/albums/u395/leefra/image.jpg2_zps0x8dz9gs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

photobucket.com/albums/u395/leefra/image.jpg7_zpsn0aqhuxi.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 10:14:29 AM by Leefra » Logged

Westchester, NY
billsfan
2X Keg Hero of the Month; Mexican Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Charlotte, NC

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 11:45:11 AM »

Makes it as fast as a gasser

Dan
Azog
Throwdown Champion - Hero of The Month
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 04:50:50 PM »

That goes on the bday list

Sent from my BKK

Keg On!
uncle
Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Let it rain or snow

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 03:09:18 PM »

Ordered one , can't have too many toys Smiley
Leefra
Keg Hero Of The Month
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 03:47:31 PM »

I'm with ya Unc
We just can't help it 😩

Westchester, NY
uncle
Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Let it rain or snow

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 04:45:05 AM »

Here it is.

kite

Nova Scotia

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 01:18:59 PM »

Leefra and Uncle,
Its been a year (or so) what do you think of the dragon now? Still in use or on top of the 'it looked like a good idea pile'?

Alex
Leefra
Keg Hero Of The Month
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 02:12:47 PM »

Haven't used it a lot, but when needed, it is handy to have. It can save a dying fire

Westchester, NY
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: