Broil King Keg Forum
October 20, 2018, 02:03:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY table question and table build(not fully complete) - update Sept 2016  (Read 34349 times)
bubbagump

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2015, 11:32:31 AM »

Good to know. I think I will adjust my plan to have the Keg be supported on the bottom. I'm just so glad again that I don't have to worry about having to reinforce for weight as oppose to having a ceramic kamado. I will be able to get away with 2x4 leg posts instead of 4x4 leg posts.

I'm not a woodworker by any means but I like working with my hands and building stuff so this is exciting and scary at the same time. I've already bought a Kreg jig in anticipation.
averagejoe

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2015, 12:27:29 PM »

Barbeques Galore recently revamped their website so BBQRich's link broke. Here is the new one. http://barbecuesgalore.ca/blogs/barbecues-galore/21340225-the-race-big-green-egg-vs-broil-king-keg
bubbagump

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 01:11:03 PM »

Decided to build my own table after looking at options. One local woodworker quoted a custom cedar table for $700, a little steep for me. In order to prepare, I figured I'll build something else to start before the table. Decided on an outdoor deck box and looked at online plans, I found one from Lowes that looked decent.

Away we go!

Finished product

Finally have some storage space for charcoal and bbq accessories(will be moved to table once it is done).

All in all, I have to admit, this took me way too long to complete. I initially estimated maybe one weekend and it probably took a good solid 7 days instead. Woodworking is definitely not my forte but at least it was fun. This cost around $200 for all the cedar wood and when I told my wife she just rolled her eyes and said "Didn't Home Depot just have a sale for a wicker deck box for $100? And how much time did you spend on this again?"

Any hoot, I'm finalizing my plans now and I think I might be building it in the next month, my target was to put my Keg in a new home this summer and I want to stick with it.
bubbagump

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2015, 10:28:12 PM »

Decided to use the same topic I already started before to provide the update rather than start a new topic. Following the experimental deck box build I pulled the trigger and bought the wood to build my table. Unfortunately, I started later than I thought which lead to me not finishing everything.

Here we go!

Raw materials purchased. Decided to use the same knotty white cedar as the deck box. The cost was around $250 CAD, which is like $10 USD Smiley In any case, during my research, if I had used pressure treated lumber instead it would have been 1/2 the price so if you are considering building your own this could be a factor.

Gotta start somewhere...

First batch of 2x4s chopped up and ready to go. The Kreg has been one of the best investments I've made so far in terms of tools. Makes everything easier in terms of making joints while maintaining a clean look.

Leg posts getting started

Putting the base frame together

Next up is the bottom shelf. I did something a little different for mine, I recessed the planks so they would sit flush with the 2x4. This is to get some extra usable height and to maintain a cleaner finished look

Framing the enclosed cabinet side of the table

Cladding going on. I used a 1x6 tongue and groove piece to make installation easier as I don't have to make sure each piece is tight, this way there is no gaps in between pieces.

Next up is the Keg side, building the drawer underneath and also to raise the height of the Keg.

Just clamped on and waiting for the glue to cure

Next up was to put the outer walls on the Keg side but I didn't have pictures of it going in. After this I built the bottom drawer and the cabinet door. Semi finished product.

Put a temporary top on(yeah, my neighbor just threw their mattress out, lol)

bubbagump

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2015, 10:32:12 PM »

Unfortunately, this is where I have left it. I ran out of "summer". I still have a way to go, sanding, staining, making the top which I know I can't finish now and with the colder weather I don't want to risk it. So, we put it in the deck and I bought a patio table cover to just store it for the winter. I will have to work on it as soon as spring hits.

Here it is beside the deck box. The stain turned a lot darker now than when I had put it on so I might do a lighter coat on the table.

All in all, happy with the results. Can't wait to finish it next year. I've also sourced a local metal fabricator to potentially build me a stainless steel top. I just have to cut the plywood template and he will do the rest. $150 he quoted which is a lot more than what I had planned but he might be open to negotiation.
billsfan
2X Keg Hero of the Month; Mexican Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Charlotte, NC

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2015, 05:26:33 AM »

you got skills bg

Dan
Vindii
2X Hero of the Month ~ 2X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2015, 06:27:51 AM »

Very nice!

See post 18
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=oovcf0ho0f6b61ce5v721lodo7&topic=4485.15

They are closed minded idiots (did I just say that?? YEP!) and they can't see the usefulness of other types of cookers.
Regular Guy
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2015, 11:00:56 AM »

Very impressive indeed. I'll be looking forward to the finished product!
bubbagump

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2015, 01:37:52 PM »

Thanks guys, this one took a little less time as I think the experience from building the deck box paid off. The hardest parts were actually the last bits like the drawer and the cabinet door. I purchased a European style hidden hinge and it took me 1/2 day to try and install it. I gave up and just put regular hinges. Going to try to put it in again next year.
Kmatt
Hero of the Month - Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2015, 06:38:50 PM »

Thanks guys, this one took a little less time as I think the experience from building the deck box paid off. The hardest parts were actually the last bits like the drawer and the cabinet door. I purchased a European style hidden hinge and it took me 1/2 day to try and install it. I gave up and just put regular hinges. Going to try to put it in again next year.

I can't stand drawers either.  It took me half a day to get a nightstand the way I wanted it.  The kreg jig you got there is a lifesaver.  Excellent table!
bubbagump

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2016, 06:21:49 AM »

Alright, it took a while but I believe this 2 year project is done. After looking at the covered table for the whole winter and spring, finally got to finishing it off. I was so concerned about any of the wood cracking or splitting during the winter. Took it out and it looked pretty good, there were some minor wood splitting in some areas but all in all good.

First thing I did was sand and get it ready to stain. I also couldn't stand the cabinet hinges I put it and was determined to install the hidden style hinges so I took the time to figure it out. It took a little modification but I was able to get it to work. After sanding I applied the stain, same as the one I used for the deck box but I only applied 1 coat. The deck box looks too dark for me so I reduced the stain for the table.

Next up was the table top. I did decide that I wanted a stainless steel top so I had to build a temporary top to use. Measured it up and cut a piece of 1/2 plywood. This was way more work as i didn't have a jigsaw. I tried a Dremel but it was laboring, after watching some youtube videos, I ended up using the circular saw to do the circle cut. It's not ideal but it worked, I didn't need it to be perfect.

One note, depending on the height of your table top, you might have to cut a portion in the back to accomodate the hinge when it opens. I found this out after I put on the Keg, I had to take it out and cut up the notch. I wanted the height of the Keg to match the height when it was on it's legs, this meant that the table top will be just below the handles. I put a patio stone then set the Keg in it's new throne.

Here it is opened up. Made a little half shelf inside the cabinet so I can accommodate a bag of lump on the other side.

Did some cooks during this summer to test it out and to make sure I was happy with the way it turned out before going to the final step. I am loving the table space, so handy for prep space and just somewhere to put stuff. I suppose I could have purchased the side shelves but this was a lot better. The cabinet was handy as well, I put my heatermeter in the cabinet and just have the probes to worry about in case it rained.

After some final measurements, decided on the stainless steel top rather than a wood top. I thought it would be a nice feature and a little more durable as I can just put anything I want on top(i.e. hot grill grate, hot food). Almost there, final fitting before I permanently mount the top.

Last step to take the handles off and to put the hole plugs(have to pick them up).

smokey
Superhero Member

Re:
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2016, 10:58:33 AM »

I really like the stainless top.  Very nice.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

What killed the board? Narcissists
bubbagump

Re:
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2016, 05:58:17 AM »

I really like the stainless top.  Very nice.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Thanks! I like it more for the functionality but it does give a nice contrast to the wood.
bubbagump

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2016, 06:04:49 AM »

One bad thing about this and has sort of put a damper on my enjoyment of the table. When I took off the handles, I noticed there were rust spots where the holes were for the screw. It's not just rust stains, it is bubbling a little. Worse, when I was looking at the screw holes, I noticed an even worse rust bubble on the lip area of the lid. I'm going to send pictures to OMC support, hopefully they will be able to do something.

ModernMan

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2016, 07:30:42 AM »

How about apllying a dab of grease on the outside 'rust' areas ... while waiting for response from support?

You know, sort of like a mini rust-proof treatment - like they do on cars in Canada (well, at least  - like they do in Quebec)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: