Broil King Keg Forum
November 14, 2018, 11:41:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY table question and table build(not fully complete) - update Sept 2016  (Read 34547 times)
bubbagump

« on: March 30, 2015, 12:45:04 PM »

Update Sept 2016 - finally completed!!

Original post:
One of my goals this summer is to make a home for my Keg. I've looked through the Keg Mods forums and have started my design which will be a cross between a couple of table builds that you guys have done already.

Unfortunately, during my research, I also ran across some dreaded information about fires started by the bbq and close calls from those having a wood kamado table. One bad thing about the internet, the more curious I got the more pictures and forums I've seen and I'm now rethinking my intention on the table.

I know that the Keg outer wall temperature is no where near a ceramic one but I wanted to find out if any forum members have had any close calls or anything of that sort. I have my keg on a wooden deck and it's attached to the house so if my table catches on fire, chances are there is going to be a big blaze happening. Have you guys ever had a time when embers have leaked out or anything like that?

I'm only concerned about this when I will be doing any type of overnight cook or a low and slow where I have to run out to do some errands. Thinking about it though, if I had to sear or cook pizza, my table has to be able to withstand it. Maybe I'm just being paranoid...

Not my photo, but a sample of what you can find out there.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 06:23:02 AM by bubbagump » Logged
Skinsandos
Keg Hero of the Month - 8X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Winter Springs, FL --- Light It Up

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 01:39:33 PM »

Worry not exterior temp of the keg never reaches a wood flash point, use granite tiles on the top to keep embers from being an issue

Hunt - Fish - Kegvection Grilling
Leefra
Keg Hero Of The Month
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 03:39:49 PM »

Bubba
There are companies out there that make entumescent paint. Not truly fireproof, but very fire resistant. While working as an electrician, i have used paint additives the make paint fire resistant. I think i bought it online, and mixed it on site. That might be an answer to make you rest easier. Sorry i cant give you more specifics, it was a while back

Westchester, NY
bubbagump

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 06:03:37 PM »

Worry not exterior temp of the keg never reaches a wood flash point, use granite tiles on the top to keep embers from being an issue

Definitely going to have some tile or stone on the bottom.
bubbagump

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 06:07:12 PM »

Bubba
There are companies out there that make entumescent paint. Not truly fireproof, but very fire resistant. While working as an electrician, i have used paint additives the make paint fire resistant. I think i bought it online, and mixed it on site. That might be an answer to make you rest easier. Sorry i cant give you more specifics, it was a while back

This is interesting, another option to consider. Perhaps I can just paint the immediate areas around the keg and leave the other areas bare. Thanks.
K'man
Superhero Member

Newfoundland

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 05:32:16 PM »

Bubba, wood will normally combust at 400F depending on how dry it is.  As has been said use non combustible material underneath & just to be safe maintain clearance around the outside.  BTW there is a great deal on tables right now at Ont. Gas BBQ if you are interested.  In the $350 range I was there today.  White Cedar.  I've never had any ash come out unless I was cleaning it but out of an abundance of caution Ont Gas BBQ still has the screen in bottom damper for something like $22.00.  I bought one a year or so ago.

So many recipes, so little time.
BSK 5000, TTT,  Maverick 732,
Thermapen, Maverick laser.
bubbagump

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 07:23:00 PM »

What was the table designed for? BGE or Kamado Joe?
BBQRich
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 07:32:18 AM »

Bubba, some data here, if you haven't seen it already.

http://www.barbecuesgalore.ca/the-race-big-green-egg-vs-broil-king-keg/

K'man
Superhero Member

Newfoundland

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 04:14:22 PM »

What was the table designed for? BGE or Kamado Joe?

Sorry Bubba didn't see your question.  Not sure it just mentioned the different Kamados that would fit and the Keg was one.

So many recipes, so little time.
BSK 5000, TTT,  Maverick 732,
Thermapen, Maverick laser.
bubbagump

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 09:39:42 PM »

Thanks Rich and Gary. I think I'm just being a little paranoid. I'll keep planning on the table build.
bubbagump

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 05:53:31 AM »

Hi guys,

Getting closer to finalizing my design for my DIY table. Here is the latest version, I liked the challenger cart design so I am trying to copy it(minus the fancy cabinet doors). Here is what I have so far.

Challenger cart

I have a another question, how have you guys mounted the Keg onto the table? Is it held by the cut out on the table(sort of suspended) or have you put legs on the bottom(sit on support)? I have a BSK2000 so I don't have the trailer hitch mounting brackets underneath.

I've looked at the different DIY table threads and there seems to be some different options but it isn't too clear to me. My main concern is stability, I want to make sure when I open the lid the whole keg doesn't move around.

drtoohotty - looks like legs underneath
http://forum.bigsteelkeg.com/index.php?topic=12473.0

ajnelson - looks like legs underneath
http://forum.bigsteelkeg.com/index.php?topic=7132.15

Jebber - not sure but looks like support underneath
http://forum.bigsteelkeg.com/index.php?topic=10646.0

Vindii - looks like there is a bracket that inserts the trailer hitch
http://forum.bigsteelkeg.com/index.php?topic=14734.0

hockeycrch - created channel for the trailer hitch
http://forum.bigsteelkeg.com/index.php?topic=5550.0
Vindii
2X Hero of the Month ~ 2X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 05:57:23 AM »

You can just take the legs off and put it on something like a patio brick or similar.

See post 18
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=oovcf0ho0f6b61ce5v721lodo7&topic=4485.15

They are closed minded idiots (did I just say that?? YEP!) and they can't see the usefulness of other types of cookers.
bubbagump

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 06:43:44 AM »

You can just take the legs off and put it on something like a patio brick or similar.

Thanks for the reply. I was worried that the bottom on the Keg isn't completely flat and has a slight curve that will prevent it from sitting flat, my eyes might have been playing a trick on me. I'll take a look again at the bottom.

By the way, how is the garden hose gasket working out on the cut out hole? Is it still good?
billsfan
2X Keg Hero of the Month; Mexican Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Charlotte, NC

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 07:46:49 AM »

I think RG bought some stainless doors for hie outdoor kitchen

Dan
Vindii
2X Hero of the Month ~ 2X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2015, 08:09:52 AM »

Thanks for the reply. I was worried that the bottom on the Keg isn't completely flat and has a slight curve that will prevent it from sitting flat, my eyes might have been playing a trick on me. I'll take a look again at the bottom.

By the way, how is the garden hose gasket working out on the cut out hole? Is it still good?

Yes hose works fine.

Even if the bottom is a little curved I dont think it will matter.

See post 18
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=oovcf0ho0f6b61ce5v721lodo7&topic=4485.15

They are closed minded idiots (did I just say that?? YEP!) and they can't see the usefulness of other types of cookers.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: