Broil King Keg Forum
July 16, 2018, 01:36:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Broil King Prime Rib Recipe  (Read 11048 times)
SmallBBQr

« on: February 23, 2015, 08:58:51 AM »

Note...Was originally going to post this in the "Recipes" section, but I don't have an option to post a new topic there....not sure why.  Anyways....the recipe itself is not really the topic...I am more interested in the cooking instructions posted.  They have me confused.  Can anyone explain what they mean or their process?  Why would the temp gradually fall to 250?

INGREDIENTS

1 5-pound Prime Rib Roast
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon grainy mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chipotle chilli powder

DIRECTIONS

Pat the meat dry with paper towels.
Mix the mustards, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic in a small bowl, and brush generously all over the meat. Combine all the dried herbs and spices in a small bowl and sprinkle generously over the mustard. Allow to sit at room temperature while you prepare the Keg.

Prepare the Keg for direct grilling at 350°F. Place the prime rib on the Keg and let smoke for 4 hours. During this time, the temperature of the Keg should gradually fall to about 250°F. Test the internal temperature of the meat with a meat thermometer: it should reach 135°F.

Slice thickly.

Serves 8

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 10:30:46 AM by RG » Logged

Kick Ash Divide & Conquer Kegger
Focuspuller
2X Keg Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

No way...no how...

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 09:58:54 AM »

Starting higher temp makes a crust...the lower temp helps it cook through the thick meat keeping nice and juicy

KEG 4000
Broil King Imperial XL Gas
Yoder YS640/Competition Cart
Vindii
2X Hero of the Month ~ 2X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 10:50:47 AM »

Recipes can only be moved to that section by mods if I recall.  I believe it was to make sure the recipe was complete.  And to keep it only to recipes.

A common way to cook prime rib in the oven is to start off at 500 and then shut off the oven at some point.  I bet this was mocked after than. 

The lower temp will give less of a well done ring around the outside but wont get as nice of a crust.

See post 18
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=oovcf0ho0f6b61ce5v721lodo7&topic=4485.15

They are closed minded idiots (did I just say that?? YEP!) and they can't see the usefulness of other types of cookers.
SmallBBQr

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 11:24:41 AM »

Thanks all....

What confuses me is their wording in:  "the temperature of the Keg should gradually fall to about 250°F".   If they wanted you to specifically DROP the temperature (on purpose) the wording should specify that a lot more clearly.

Kick Ash Divide & Conquer Kegger
BBQRich
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 12:59:29 PM »

It's a bit of an oddball.  Good feedback everyone.

Yanknrebel
Chicken Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

You want sauce on that??? --Atoka TN

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 07:09:37 AM »

Reverse sear is the way to go for PR or any thick steaks IMHO. 

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson
K'man
Superhero Member

Newfoundland

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 05:13:09 AM »

Reverse sear is the way to go for PR or any thick steaks IMHO. 

Using the Keg, I'd be more inclined to cook at 250 for the time mentioned and then remove it the oven for the reverse sear as mentioned at 450-500 degrees. 

So many recipes, so little time.
BSK 5000, TTT,  Maverick 732,
Thermapen, Maverick laser.
Yanknrebel
Chicken Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

You want sauce on that??? --Atoka TN

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 09:18:35 PM »

Using the Keg, I'd be more inclined to cook at 250 for the time mentioned and then remove it the oven for the reverse sear as mentioned at 450-500 degrees. 
I do mine at 250* until about 110-115 internal, remove, wrap in foil and pull the diffuser out and crank open the vents.  Takes about 15 min for the keg to come up to 600*, if its too slow i put a fan in front of the bottom vent and force feed it air.  Then its just a matter of searing it to your favorite color.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson
K'man
Superhero Member

Newfoundland

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 02:59:07 PM »

I do mine at 250* until about 110-115 internal, remove, wrap in foil and pull the diffuser out and crank open the vents.  Takes about 15 min for the keg to come up to 600*, if its too slow i put a fan in front of the bottom vent and force feed it air.  Then its just a matter of searing it to your favorite color.

I like that idea! Smiley

So many recipes, so little time.
BSK 5000, TTT,  Maverick 732,
Thermapen, Maverick laser.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: