Broil King Keg Forum
January 18, 2018, 03:07:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kick Ash Basket  (Read 12062 times)
Sonny
2X Keg Hero Of The Month - Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Maple, ON

« on: November 16, 2014, 08:26:32 AM »

Cajunate is working on a deal with the makers of the Kick Ash Basket.

http://forum.bigsteelkeg.com/index.php?topic=15050.msg140818#msg140818

As you might recall, I have the Broil King Keg charcoal basket.  And from what I can tell, the Kick Ash Basket is very similar to the BKK charcoal basket.  Capacity being one difference (Kick Ash Basket holds more lump).  Construction material is also different (BKK charcoal basket is made of cast iron).  You'll love the convenience of being able to easily lift out virtually all of the used lump and ash.  And a charcoal basket props up and cradles lump allowing the holes in the side of the fire bowl to remain unblocked.  In other words, air flow will improve.

Emptying the basket by shaking the ash out can be a chore.  I prefer to dump the contents of the basket into a large pale (a proper ash can would be ideal).  Then I'll use a round deep fry basket with a handle to scoop and shake out any reusable lump.

The only draw back of the BKK charcoal basket is it's capacity.  It only holds enough lump for a relatively short low and slow under light load (less that 10 hours with less than 4 pounds of pork shoulder, for example).  And does not hold enough lump for very high heat cooks whatsoever.  

Assuming the Kick Ash Basket can withstand the extreme temperatures the Keg is capable of then the Kick Ash Basket is the clear winner here.  

If you want to read more about the BKK charcoal basket and what others have said about charcoal baskets in general, check out this thread...

http://forum.bigsteelkeg.com/index.php?topic=14169.msg127996#msg127996

Think Big, Start Small, Fail Fast, Learn Always
Kmatt
Hero of the Month - Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 05:52:55 PM »

I agree sonny.  The bkk basket is too small for either low or high heat cooks.  You can't cook for a crowd because the hot spot is about a 9" circumference on the grate.  This was the most disappointing accessory I've bought so far.  I guess they designed it that small to keep costs down?  I don't know, wish I could get my money back though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: