Broil King Keg Forum
December 17, 2018, 05:17:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kamado Joe Divide & Conquer on the Keg  (Read 36022 times)
SmallBBQr

« on: October 17, 2014, 12:52:34 PM »

Was at the BBQ store today, and they have started selling Kamado Joe now.  Took some measurements of the keg firebowl and D&C system and it looks like the KJ D&C would fit perfectly....except perhaps for the three grate ledges.

Not that I dislike the existing keg grate or anything, but I think the D&C would be preferable.

Just tossing this out there for some discussion....

Kick Ash Divide & Conquer Kegger
Shawn W
2x Hero of the Month, 5x Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 10:15:49 PM »

Was at the BBQ store today, and they have started selling Kamado Joe now.  Took some measurements of the keg firebowl and D&C system and it looks like the KJ D&C would fit perfectly....except perhaps for the three grate ledges.

Not that I dislike the existing keg grate or anything, but I think the D&C would be preferable.

Just tossing this out there for some discussion....

D&C Seems to be a be a name for a number of KJ accessories. They have an 18" half CI griddle I tested in a keg in the store and it fits perfectly! Put it on the fire bowl and the grate in the upper position and presto! Two zone cooking ... direct and indirect.

K'man
Superhero Member

Newfoundland

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 05:13:26 AM »

D&C Seems to be a be a name for a number of KJ accessories. They have an 18" half CI griddle I tested in a keg in the store and it fits perfectly! Put it on the fire bowl and the grate in the upper position and presto! Two zone cooking ... direct and indirect.

How much is that Shawn?  I was thinking of having something like that made.  Looks perfect for what I want.

So many recipes, so little time.
BSK 5000, TTT,  Maverick 732,
Thermapen, Maverick laser.
Shawn W
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 08:24:27 AM »

It was $35 at BBQs Galore
Ultracon

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 11:39:00 AM »

Just saw this post today in a search..... FYI, I use a BGE stone for a diffuser.  Just invert it, put a 14" cookie sheet/pan in the middle to catch stuff, and the cast iron grate just sits on the upturned legs.
Regular Guy
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 12:43:46 PM »

Just saw this post today in a search..... FYI, I use a BGE stone for a diffuser.  Just invert it, put a 14" cookie sheet/pan in the middle to catch stuff, and the cast iron grate just sits on the upturned legs.

You'd be much better off using aluminum pans lined with foil (for easy cleanup so you can reuse it). For large pieces of meat use an oval roasting pan like for turkeys.
bamabob
2X Hero of the Month ~ 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

my dog can't hold her licker

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 04:02:11 PM »

couldn't find this on BBQs galore site.  Can someone provide a link?

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.
Shawn W
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 04:38:44 PM »

couldn't find this on BBQs galore site.  Can someone provide a link?

The Barbecues Galore I was speaking of is a Canadian company. Though I saw it in their store it isn't on their website.
Barbecues Galore

Check Kamado Joe site: http://www.kamadojoe.com/accessories/divide-conquer

Barbeques Galore is an unrelated US company
BBQGalore.com

Strangely enough there is yet another BG in australia. weird
https://www.barbequesgalore.com.au/?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Found one here though:
Ontario Gas BBQ
SmallBBQr

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 05:13:33 PM »

(Apologies in advance if you already saw this over on the Kamado Guru site).

Well, it was some time ago I started getting Kamado Joe Divide & Conquer envy....I couldn't resist any longer.  Went to a local BBQ shop and measured everything up on the D&C system and the keg and determined it would be a perfect fit.

Ordered the parts and they were delivered today.

Step one:  Drill out rivets holding the existing firebowl/grate mounts.   I might have been able to get away with leaving them in (and making this more easily reversible, but I wanted the capability to slide everything in/out easily (even when hot).

Step two:  Cut/grind the top portion off of the firebowl mount and rivet the lower portion of the firebowl shelf back onto the keg.  I drilled a third hole and added an additional rivet for additional strength.  I filled in the unused holes with new rivets.

Step three:  Drop in the firebowl and the D&C system:

...and the inaugural first cook.

Edit:  Add half-moon skillet shot after it cooled down a bit.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 07:36:59 AM by SmallBBQr » Logged

Kick Ash Divide & Conquer Kegger
Vindii
2X Hero of the Month ~ 2X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 08:36:42 AM »

Looks the same as what I can do with with a set of straps and the two stock grates.  Nice job making it fit.

See post 18
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=oovcf0ho0f6b61ce5v721lodo7&topic=4485.15

They are closed minded idiots (did I just say that?? YEP!) and they can't see the usefulness of other types of cookers.
Leefra
Keg Hero Of The Month
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 01:48:14 PM »

Nice mod, small
Very versatile

Westchester, NY
PascL
Keg Hero Of The Month - 3x Throwdown Champion

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 01:28:33 PM »

I bought the D&C 18 inch CI griddle today at the store and it fits perfect. It sits perfectly on the upper two of three ledges or the same on the fire bowl nice and sturdy, even better I just put it on the grate so I can sear vegetables and grill steak at the same time.

Cookin' in the cold
ModernMan

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 10:59:26 AM »

Looks the same as what I can do with with a set of straps and the two stock grates.  Nice job making it fit.

Are any straps still available for purchase?
glenn

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 09:20:54 PM »

I assume the parts that are for the "Classic Joe" are what fits the keg. Not the "Big Joe" kit - correct?

Glenn
Kmatt
Hero of the Month - Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 09:38:32 PM »

Yep.  I own it and love it for my keg.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: