Broil King Keg Forum
September 24, 2018, 08:36:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ***NEW*** Keg 5000  (Read 103922 times)
Cajunate
4X Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2014, 07:03:16 AM »

My thoughts are that if the lower vent was higher than the ash tray it would allow for better air flow. Then again simply emptying the ash tray would correct that. And it can be emptied during a long cook. That along with the Ash Basket would make for efficient cooking.

"Good grillin' is like good lovin' "
  Just outside of New Orleans
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2014, 08:40:21 AM »

My thoughts are that if the lower vent was higher than the ash tray it would allow for better air flow. Then again simply emptying the ash tray would correct that. And it can be emptied during a long cook. That along with the Ash Basket would make for efficient cooking.
Nate this brings another issue that I was not going to mention - airflow.
 Smiley

There are two types of airflow, the smaller flow of fresh air from the vent and the much larger flow of "convection air" that is recirculating back down the side of the egg and up through the fire.
Optimally the "convection air" should recirculate through the center of the fire (right where the drawer is now sitting).

If you visualize the internal shape of a keg as an inverted egg, the hot air that is being pushed from the top down the side builds pressure as the circumference of the keg gets smaller and smaller.  It is this hot, recirculated air that is again heated, becoming hotter and pushing the hot air in the top down the side.

I don't think a drawer will affect this mechanism too much, especially if there is a gap between firebowl and drawer. I'd rather not mess with this because I like how the keg works now, no matter how small a change.

What killed the board? Narcissists
billsfan
2X Keg Hero of the Month; Mexican Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Charlotte, NC

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2014, 08:54:45 AM »

Rich with the vent change were you able to put a screen back on? In addition to bubba I have the BSK 2000 and I get some sparks flying out the bottom when it's wide open sometimes.

Dan
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2014, 11:41:07 AM »

Smokey - fair point on the ash build up, but I think you're as aware as anyone how little ash the Keg produces.  Trials with the drawer yield a similar result - two or three cooks without cleaning should be okay.  Are you talking 'cooks' as low-and-slow or just firing up the grill for 45 minutes?

The vent change puts us in a better position for patent defense should that ever come up.
The drawer certainly differentitates against other ceramic kamados.

I discussed creating  a plate / adapter for attaching an ATC, working on designs for that.

In order of popularity (correct me please)
Pitmaster
Auber
BBQ Guru
Stoker
Am I missing anything?

Let me know guys - like I said, we don't play in the ATC world, so I need some help here.

Thx.

I do a lot of low and slow cooks.
I just stir around the old charcoal till all the ashes fall out. The charcoal and ashes get moved around in a circular pattern, the ashes fall down all the vent holes, not just the middle. I put fresh lump on the bottom and the left over charcoal goes on the top of the pile.

Che mentioned that he does the same.

I then take a muti-tool and push a path through the ashes to make an air path, or if I've got a lot just scoop it out.

-
ATC
I'd say stick with one vendor, somebody like John at Pitmaster IQ.
Don't make it, make the vendor a partner. Have him make a SKU that is tuned to the Keg. Pre build the kegs to support it, put a coupon in each Keg, get a % of the sales. Zero risk, added perceived value with the keg.
You are also differentiating the keg over other Kamados.

Personally I think ATC's offer little value now that I'm skilled at using my keg. When I first got my PM IQ I was thrilled and it was a blessing as a novice.

Another idea to try to patent is to make the vent face upwards on the door, call it a "spark trap design" or something and patent it. If the Egg patented a screen, you can patent the shape of the door, it can also allow for ease of adjusting and not having to bend down to adjust.

Or patent removable doors just for the heck of it. One for PID one with the angle "spark trap" one with the angle down to feed cold smoke for cheese and stuff.

Cajunate
4X Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2014, 11:49:58 AM »

Look, EVERYONE, Let's calm down. For how long now have people been wanting OMC to start doing more to expand the following of Keg grilling?Lol..... I'm going to do something for all of you and "throw myself on this grenade"! I offically volunteer to allow BK to send me one of the new Keg 5000's and I will do all the testing I can and I WILL let you know whether or not you should make the investment in one of them. From what I'm seeing and hearing it should be on your "To Get" list!  Grin I will even allow my family to eat whatever I cook on it and will get back to you ASAP. WEll, that depends on when I get the test model. Lol...... Oh, and bTW, I won't even charge OMC a dime to do the testing. Grin Shocked Shocked Shocked Grin

"Good grillin' is like good lovin' "
  Just outside of New Orleans
BBQRich
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2014, 01:12:31 PM »

I've also nearly written OTC's every time I used ATC's.  Which is a dangerous game to play.  I'm cooking my brisket with and OTC on the Keg. 

This was funnier when I started typing than it is now.

Sonny
2X Keg Hero Of The Month - Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Maple, ON

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2014, 02:33:10 PM »

Look to the auto industry, automatic transmission is more popular than manual.  It make sense to me that an ATC ready bottom damper would appear on the next generation Keg.

Since we're throwing suggestions around, why not a shower cap?

Honestly, my first reaction at seeing a new Keg was "Great, soon I'll be able to pick up a second BKK 4000 at clearance price."

Think Big, Start Small, Fail Fast, Learn Always
bamabob
2X Hero of the Month ~ 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

my dog can't hold her licker

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2014, 03:20:24 PM »

I think the idea of the ash drawer will help protect the floor of the keg and address the concerns I had with the floor being the first to go.  Having a seal between the drawer and the keg should address the concerns of those worried about leaks.  But honestly, I view opening the vent to the desired amount as creating a leak, so what if there is a leak around the frame, it just means I have to open the vent less than if it was sealed.  Of course, having a good seal will help with snuffing out the fire quicker and preserving more lump for next time.

I was wondering about the vent, with it wide open will there be as much airflow as there is now with the bottom vent wide open?  That's a pretty big hole when it's wide open, great for those high heat cooks.  I guess one could take the drawer out and have a big hole but than that kind of defeats the purpose of the drawer protecting the floor, those 700* pizza cooks is when the protection is needed and as much airflow is needed as well.

Just my opinion, but I'd really like to see the BKK 4000 available at the former $600 price point.  It really does do everything very well.  While shopping for ranges for our kitchen reno we visited an HH Gregg.  That had Broil King accesories and gas grills.  I asked if they had any Broil King Kegs.  What's that??   Huh Huh Grin

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.
TAURUS BBQ
2x Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Niagara Falls, Ontario

Re:
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2014, 06:26:29 AM »

Good job Rich!

TAURUS BBQ - Championship Cooking
Eat well my friends, eat well!
smokey
Superhero Member

Re:
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2014, 09:26:37 PM »

Good job Rich!
2X

I appreciate the effort and hope my rants don't deter from the effort Rich has put into this.
I'm just thinking like an IT guy.

Smokin in Peosta
2X Hero of the Month; 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Smokem if youv'e got them

Re:
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2014, 08:24:09 AM »

Good job Rich!
What this all tells me is that the Keg is not being eliminated, and that they want to improve.

Mike
Dragonfly
Superhero Member

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2014, 07:31:02 PM »

Yes, Smokin, I agree.

I see two drawers:  the standard one as shown.  Want to use an ATC?  Buy the drawer that has an ATC vent or assembly.  Hot swappable to use a term smokey would understand  Grin

Like bamabob, I would like the lower price point.  That was got me to buy a BSK in 2009 instead of an Egg as a newbie.  Not features or steel or the Keg hitch.  It was a fair amount cheaper and had solid reviews.  I had no idea how much I would use it, so price mattered.  I used my gas grill 10-15 times per year.  With what I know now, price is less important.  3-5 cooks per week for five years...

It was less hard to find locally then than it is now.  Six million people, and I only know of one place that *might* have one in stock to look at and touch. 

Not ranting, glad to see some development and providing some well intentioned input.
lbyer

Re:
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2014, 04:30:37 AM »

2X

I appreciate the effort and hope my rants don't deter from the effort Rich has put into this.
I'm just thinking like an IT guy.

IT guys usually say "did you try restarting it..." Grin Grin

BKK 4000
BroilKing Baron 440   GASSER
GRILLGRATES
DIGIQ DX-2 WITH 10CFM FAN
billsfan
2X Keg Hero of the Month; Mexican Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Charlotte, NC

Re:
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2014, 04:59:28 AM »