Broil King Keg Forum
July 20, 2018, 11:07:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ***NEW*** Keg 5000  (Read 102778 times)
SmallBBQr

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 02:20:32 PM »

Hmmm.....I don't know.  Am I the only one totally underwhelmed here?

They could have done so much, so easily, with a different cooking grid system (and in the process, created an upgrade path (i.e. revenue) from existing owners wanting a better/different/interchangable grate.

I see nothing that would want to make me change out the 4000...

It does look like (from the pictures) that perhaps the new bottom vent/ash drawer system could be a replacement for the existing one....looks pretty close to the existing size.  Wonder it it would be a replacement part?

Kick Ash Divide & Conquer Kegger
Eatin Smoke
3X Throwdown Champion

Greater Chicago Area

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 02:29:09 PM »

I'd hate to see what the price tag is on this new unit.  IMHO Broil King should have stuck with what they had and tried to get the price point down.  Considering they are made in China, the cost should have gone down and not increased nearly 100% over the past 4-5 years.
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 04:59:33 PM »

I really don't see the value in the drawer.
It does not seem like it will catch all the ash that comes down from all the vent holes.
My technique is to stir up the old charcoal, let the ash fall through the holes, recycle the old charcoal.
So in my case I'd still use the multi-tool. I only clean it out after about 3 burns.

Also makes me wonder about rust, more little corners that could rust inside the drawer. 

What killed the board? Narcissists
bamabob
2X Hero of the Month ~ 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

my dog can't hold her licker

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 05:07:09 PM »

Hmmm.....I don't know.  Am I the only one totally underwhelmed here?

Nope.  
I see the ash drawer as just another major leak source.  I'm really so tired of hearing new keg owners having to take apart their vents to apply some high heat sealer to seal it up so it will hold temps because OMC just can't get it right.  Now we're in for a new round of "mods" to fix a "new" leak.  I have no problem just raking the ash out with the tool right into my ash can.  Even with the drawer my ash can would be right there to dump the ashes into.  Really, do the people that come up with this not read their own forum?Huh??

When I first saw the photo I thought OMC had listened to what keg owners would like to see and had come up with an ATC.  But it's just an ash drawer.  Hopefully the price will come down instead of go up.  Otherwise we may be seeing the demise of the keg.

That being said, I bought my keg in December 2010, a BSK before the buyout.  I've never sealed it and can hold temps rock steady for 18 hours without an ATC.  I never hesitate to load it up, set my vents to where I know they need to be and go to bed.  I paid $599 for it shipped to my door.  I would do that again but not for today's price point and quality control issues.

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.
Cajunate
4X Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 05:09:10 PM »

No one has even seen one in person. Give it a chance. It just MIGHT be done right.

"Good grillin' is like good lovin' "
  Just outside of New Orleans
bamabob
Superhero Member

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2014, 05:18:59 PM »

No one has even seen one in person. Give it a chance. It just MIGHT be done right.

Good point.  Hopefully Rich will have one shipped to Kegtoberfest for expert trials and reviews.

bamabob
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2014, 05:26:47 PM »

But then again, maybe not.  Take a look at the specs from Broil King website.
I like the total cooking area and the warranty.   Huh Cheesy Cheesy
They not only don't read this forum they don't even proof their own website!   Shocked Shocked

Focuspuller
2X Keg Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

No way...no how...

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2014, 05:57:06 PM »

They not only don't read this forum they don't even proof their own website! 

If you look at the URL for the 5000, http://www.broilkingbbq.com/2015_dev/grill.php?series=9&model_id=91147,
you will see "DEV" which to me means "DEVELOPMENT".

It's work in progress.

KEG 4000
Broil King Imperial XL Gas
Yoder YS640/Competition Cart
digby

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2014, 06:11:23 PM »

Is this going to cook the food any different that the 4000? Probably not! Good for new keg owners I guess!
bamabob
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2014, 06:29:49 PM »

If you look at the URL for the 5000, http://www.broilkingbbq.com/2015_dev/grill.php?series=9&model_id=91147,
you will see "DEV" which to me means "DEVELOPMENT".

It's work in progress.

Such is the keg, a work in progress.  At least since OMC took the reins.
Maybe DEV means deviation.  Such as in deviation from what works and at a marketable price point.

bamabob
Superhero Member

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2014, 06:39:09 PM »

Maybe I"ve been too critical of OMC.  They may have actually read one of my posts and added the ash drawer as a result.

http://forum.bigsteelkeg.com/index.php?topic=12444.0

With their 10 year body warranty, for those that use the keg often, I can see the bottom half being replaced.

Focuspuller
2X Keg Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

No way...no how...

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2014, 09:44:37 PM »

Such is the keg, a work in progress.  At least since OMC took the reins.
Maybe DEV means deviation.  Such as in deviation from what works and at a marketable price point.

I think they should have gone HIGH TECH and make a digital unit with built in temp control.

KEG 4000
Broil King Imperial XL Gas
Yoder YS640/Competition Cart
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2014, 09:57:46 PM »

If they are developing a keg I'll suggest something that would be nice to have.

A keg with a built in PitMaster IQ (or other controller) port. If you tied that in with a partnership and a tweaked controller tuned to the keg and you would have a winner.
One of the things that killed the early Bubba Keg was that it got a bad rap for temp control. It was just people that still had not figured it out; some kegs were leaky and the concept of having a heat sink was non existent.
If OMC had a keg with a controller as an option (not a mod) they address the (unfounded) fear of the newbie, and pick up some profit on the sale of a controller.
They would also differentiate the keg as the only Kamado that is controller ready.

What killed the board? Narcissists
BBQRich
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2014, 06:15:32 AM »

Hi Guys,

Few comments here:

- Price point holds at $899 - $999 depending on market
- Correct that this is lifted from the development part of the website
- Keg 5000 won't be in market until January
- I won't have one with me in Scottsboro, only two in existence at the moment
- Drawer is designed to seal up tightly and eliminate some of the sealing challenges
- Concerns re: corrosion / wear and tear are accounted for as part of the design
- Working on a plate for ATC's
- No immediate plans to develop our own ATC, high tech is not an area we're playing in at the moment.
- Electronics on BBQs are historically, a gimmick, and can be a nightmare.  (We purchased a company that tried to go high tech with their gas grills, and the flaws and issues would make you pull out your hair.)  ATC's by someone doing that as their primary business will work and will get the support required.  An ATC that is part of a lineup of 2000 accessory SKU's will (right or wrong) be derivative of the best ATC's and may not get the support such a product deserves.
- Do I want to make one, certainly, but I want to be sure it's done right too.

I like Digby's point - no change in performance.

Smokey - fair point on the ash build up, but I think you're as aware as anyone how little ash the Keg produces.  Trials with the drawer yield a similar result - two or three cooks without cleaning should be okay.  Are you talking 'cooks' as low-and-slow or just firing up the grill for 45 minutes?

The vent change puts us in a better position for patent defense should that ever come up.
The drawer certainly differentitates against other ceramic kamados.

I discussed creating  a plate / adapter for attaching an ATC, working on designs for that.

In order of popularity (correct me please)
Pitmaster
Auber
BBQ Guru
Stoker
Am I missing anything?

Let me know guys - like I said, we don't play in the ATC world, so I need some help here.

Thx.

Yanknrebel
Chicken Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

You want sauce on that??? --Atoka TN

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2014, 06:50:27 AM »

Rich, most of us have pitmasters or aubers.  I think a couple have guru products.  The adapter size for all are similar.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: