Broil King Keg Forum
August 20, 2018, 11:04:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fatties, a how to (Wise guys)  (Read 12138 times)
GrillSarge
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Doggie water taxi service http://www.zeemaps.com/k

« on: June 06, 2010, 05:06:19 PM »

With all the new folks on the forum I though I'd post up how I do fatties.  I could have used this a couple of years back.  So here goes.  Fatties are a yummy item to do on your keg. Most people treat them as appetizers.  I take them to family parties and to work to pass out.  The are a log shaped chunk of sausage usually stuffed with something and smoke/grilled.  Some do just a chub of sausage seasoned and basted without the stuffing but I do not.  Many will wrap it in bacon but while I love bacon in and on many things I do not wrap my fatties.  If you would like to that's fine  Its obviously your choice and would be the final step before grilling.  I use my jerky gun as a stuffing mold.

I just don't put on the nozzles.  The white pvc contraption is a fattie stuffing mold sold on line That Braddog mentioned in a previous post I bought it and realized I could do the same thing with my jerky gun.  Oh well the money goes to charity.  http://www.fattiepistons.blogspot.com/
Today I'm doing 2 of my favorite stuffing's  but you can stuff them however you please.  Spinach dip, and cheese onions red peppers chopped peperoni and jalapeno.   I mix the stuffing in a bowl, partially melt it in the microwave mix it some more and spoon it into the tubes tamping it down with the plunger ever 3 or 4 spoons.

The tubes are sealed off at the top with plastic wrap and once full so is the other end, then they go in the freezer.  While the solidify I'm rolling out the fattie sausage, literally. I picked this little trick up from this lady's Blog,  Its not me idea, I wish it was it's a good one.  http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2009/10/my-fatty-piston.html  You take a big cheap plastic baggie one thats 9x9 inches or so, I use a value brand that's 10x10, I wouldn't go any bigger than that.  Pop the sausage into the baggie and roll it out with a bottle or pin.

I then cut the the seams of the baggie and pull back the plastic like opening a book.  I then take my jerky gun and push out the perfectly round solid chunk of stuffing onto the sausage at the right hand edge.

Using the plastic I roll the sausage around the core and over itself keeping the roll going till its off the plastic and onto a piece of foil with the seam facing up.

Then work the seam and the ends closed and smooth and using your foil transfer them to the keg.  This would be where you would wrap it with bacon if you so desired.

I do mine at 325 for an hour or so but If you like to get the sausage darker feel free

Let rest for a 1/2 hour or so and slice em up freeze them to have them on hand

I got the spinach dip idea from Hogsfan on this forum credit where credit is due.  If you do spinach dip use the thickest and best you can find and I add extra cheese to thicken it up. Tongue Tongue
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 06:52:26 PM by Eric Esper » Logged

The Black Cauldrons of Celtic myth.  Known as Undri, The Irish God the Dagda's cauldron from which no one leaves hungry or unsatisfied and Amen the Welsh Goddess Ceridwen's vessel from which flows wisdom and inspiration.  Also the cauldron of Annwn  that won't cook the food of a coward.
RNF
Superhero Member

South East Oklahoma

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 05:11:15 PM »

Eric,

Those do look good. I need to build a fatty stuffing mold. Thanks for the tips.
EconomicDisconnect
Superhero Member

North of Boston, MA

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 05:13:28 PM »

WOWZA!
I was worried when I saw the title! Grin

Great info and set up, but back in the day I remember a fattie took less to get going. Grin

For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times. Before the Empire
Skinsandos
Keg Hero of the Month - 8X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Winter Springs, FL --- Light It Up

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 06:31:06 PM »

Eco I am with you on the subject line but clicked it anyway - nice job with the fatty tutelage

Hunt - Fish - Kegvection Grilling
Porchpup

Smoking With Bubba in Celina, TX

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 06:33:43 PM »

Jerky gun....now that's an excellent idea! Great looking fatties.  Cool

2009 Bubba Keg #3258.
For Sale--1998 Red Weber Performer, 2008 22.5" WSM and 2009 UniFlame Gold Gasser
EconomicDisconnect
Superhero Member

North of Boston, MA

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 06:39:08 PM »

Skinsandos,
LOL.

For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times. Before the Empire
TAURUS BBQ
2x Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Niagara Falls, Ontario

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 05:12:48 AM »

WOWZA!
I was worried when I saw the title! Grin

Great info and set up, but back in the day I remember a fattie took less to get going. Grin

Yeah I read the title and thought I had to moderate my first post (after I read it of course) ...  Grin

TAURUS BBQ - Championship Cooking
Eat well my friends, eat well!
stonekeepers

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 09:42:57 AM »

I am new to the BKG and to the grilling world in general and was wondering what a "fattie" was.  Thanks for the great instruction and recipe.   I am getting hungry just looking at the pics.
brettatk

Smyrna, GA

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 08:03:54 AM »

Great write  up.  I think I have a jerky gun laying around the house somewhere and never thought to use it for making a fatty.
Thew

NYC - natch

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 07:30:37 AM »

Eco I am with you on the subject line but clicked it anyway - nice job with the fatty tutelage

when i have fatty's at a party it isn't something can legally speak about. but these are good too

ism is a retrovirus
http://tinyurl.com/3eqr336
Rip
Superhero Member

Western North Carolina

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 07:47:45 AM »

You started out with 3 fatties and only show 2 when finished...

Somethin is awry.

Rip Grin

The belly rules the mind.  ~Spanish Proverb
GrillSarge
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Doggie water taxi service http://www.zeemaps.com/k

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 02:14:46 PM »

One got sliced and eaten right of the grill.

The Black Cauldrons of Celtic myth.  Known as Undri, The Irish God the Dagda's cauldron from which no one leaves hungry or unsatisfied and Amen the Welsh Goddess Ceridwen's vessel from which flows wisdom and inspiration.  Also the cauldron of Annwn  that won't cook the food of a coward.
Skinsandos
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 10:20:33 AM »

A worthwhile bump

This has some humor and great info on a keg delicacy

heavychevy
Throwdown Champion

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 06:21:55 AM »

looking to do a fatty for Easter as a part of lunch - can someone expand on the season and basting aspects? Just salt and pepper? Baste with butter? And will good ole Jimmy Dean hot work?

You can't drink all day if you don't start early...
Skinsandos
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 06:44:56 AM »

looking to do a fatty for Easter as a part of lunch - can someone expand on the season and basting aspects? Just salt and pepper? Baste with butter? And will good ole Jimmy Dean hot work?

Heavy a fatty is wide open as far as ingredients and style - the bacon does the basting and some sauce them towards the end of the cook - take to 165 internal is the only rule

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: