Broil King Keg Forum
April 21, 2018, 11:59:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lump Charcoal  (Read 10591 times)
Canuck

« on: August 21, 2013, 09:58:39 AM »

Hi everyone.
I am new to the Keg actually I get it tomorrow and really looking forward to it. I was wondering if there is any difference between the different makes of lump charcoal? Is there any certain brands that I should stay away from?
Thanks in advance for replies  Smiley
Harman
2X Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Kitchener Ontario, Home of the Keg

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 10:56:02 AM »

Welcome fellow Northern Kegger!

I have only used Royal Oak Lump and have had great success with it.

The benchmark for lump reviews is this site. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

Eccl 9:7 - So go ahead; eat your food with joy, and drink your beer with a happy heart, for God approves of this!
Broil King Keg 4000 and Sovereign 90
Skinsandos
Keg Hero of the Month - 8X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Winter Springs, FL --- Light It Up

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 11:35:21 AM »

Canuck welcome to the forum, the NakedWhiz site Eccl shared is a great resource.

Most are pretty good but you will fine a favorite.

Michael

Hunt - Fish - Kegvection Grilling
trey
Keg Hero of the Month; Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Grayson, GA

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 05:01:45 PM »

Welcome. Most oak or oak/hickory blends are fairly similar, and are great for medium to high temp cooks. I stay away from the cheap stuff usually as it sparks like crazy. For slow cooks I prefer something harder than oak/hickory if I can find it. I was using Wicked Good almost exclusively, but have been using Kamado Joe lately. I heard that Wicked just changed hands, and it hasn't been available around here lately so hopefully it comes back.

BSK #5315
Farva73
Appetizer Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Gimme a litre o' Beer,

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 05:34:49 PM »

I have been ordering Fogo restaurant grade lump, I get it off amazon, free del and $35 for 35 lbs, this is all I use for grilling and searing, it has a wonderful flavor. as for my Bbq and Smoke I usually use the sams club brand best in the west, along with my smoking woods. One last thing I have noticed living in the north, is that some stores order too much lump and it sits around too long and gets a funny flavor/smell when cooking.. So always grab the fresh looking bags.
Also welcome to the club.

Twin Cities, MN
* Original BSK * Broil King Keg * Weber Genesis Gasser *
Appetizer n Leftover Throwdown Winner
Aka BigDaddyD
Canuck

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 07:25:42 PM »

Thank you for the replies
Canadacook

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 06:01:43 PM »

Welcome Canuck!  I am a fellow Canadian in Alberta.  Wink

I switched recently from Wicked Good to Dragon's Breath ... got tired of the pieces of brick that I found in my last few bags of Wicked Good.  Dragon's Breath seems more uniform where the sizes of the pieces is concerned, and it burns nice and hot.  Love it so far.

"I smoke all the time, one after the other."

- Greta Garbo
GrillSarge
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Doggie water taxi service http://www.zeemaps.com/k

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 08:16:36 AM »

I use Kroger house brand, royal oak and Gordons foods.  I'm pretty sure they're all made by Royal oak.

The Black Cauldrons of Celtic myth.  Known as Undri, The Irish God the Dagda's cauldron from which no one leaves hungry or unsatisfied and Amen the Welsh Goddess Ceridwen's vessel from which flows wisdom and inspiration.  Also the cauldron of Annwn  that won't cook the food of a coward.
Dawgfan1606

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 07:42:27 PM »

I certainly think there is a difference.  I have tried some that spark a lot.  I have tried some that would not get hot enough to sear.  I always go back to Royal Oak...it lights easily, burns low temp or HOT (I can get it up to 800+), and leaves minimal ash.  Plus, it is fairly cheap at Walmart.

I have tried Wicked Good and I liked that brand as well...just kinda expensive.  Hey CanadaCock...how is the dragon's breath.  My local BBQ place just started carrying it.

Just my 2 cents. Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 06:52:26 AM by Dawgfan1606 » Logged

Acworth, Georgia
Mr. G.

Halifax, NS

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 06:07:39 PM »

My favourite is Maple Leaf brand lump.  I can only get it at Home Hardware here in NS.  It is MUCH MUCH better than the blue bag Royal Oak lump that other places carry.
lester7009
Superhero Member

Protect Your BSK

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 12:04:24 PM »

Royal Oak and Ozark Oak. If you call Royal Oak they will name several. Kroger, Royal Oak, Big Green Egg, GFS etc. Said it is same lump in different bags. Give them a call they will help you.
Walrus

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 01:55:21 PM »

Canuck, do you have a Costco membership? Tall 8kg bags of Nature's Own sugar maple lump is only $12.
K'man
Superhero Member

Newfoundland

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 01:59:05 PM »

My favourite is Maple Leaf brand lump.  I can only get it at Home Hardware here in NS.  It is MUCH MUCH better than the blue bag Royal Oak lump that other places carry.

That is buy far one of the best brands available to us Canucks.  I like Dragon Breath too and Natures Own by Basques but Maple Leaf is very well rated and consistently good stuff.

So many recipes, so little time.
BSK 5000, TTT,  Maverick 732,
Thermapen, Maverick laser.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: