Broil King Keg Forum
July 20, 2019, 04:25:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tomorrow (8/14/13) first attempt at pizza on the bkk  (Read 1130 times)
DA-Bucks

« on: August 12, 2013, 09:29:37 PM »

Over the weekend I picked up a BGE platesetter for a reasonable amount and I've already messed around with it a bit (baked some chicken breasts and cooked brats on the outside and then finished them over indirect) and was happy with the results.  Today I scored a crate and barrel 16" pizza stone for $10 off Facebook and I'm stoked to get it broken in.  I think it was used maybe once Smiley.  It seems to be well made, has a Raised surface on the bottom so it won't sit directly on an inverted plate setter.

My first pizza bake on the stone will be pretty lame.  I'm baking a donato's ready made refrigerated pizza and also a frozen brick oven brand rising crust margarita pizza.  I was going to make my own, but I decided that if I messed it up I'd be ticked off, so these are my test subjects.  Anyways ill post pics of what I did and how it came out for better or worse.
bamabob
2X Hero of the Month ~ 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

my dog can't hold her licker

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 03:03:25 PM »

Great deals, we'll be looking for pictures.

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.
DA-Bucks

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 08:08:27 AM »

Ok so here's the update.  I had everything going as planned yesterday when I got a phone call while I was preheating my bkk.  I forgot that I was supposed to go to a community party with a friend and I had to rush my cook.  I had only preheated the pizza stone at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes and I knew it wasn't hot enough.   But I threw the pizza on anyways as I was going to be late.

Picture of the setup.  The crate and barrel stone has a good sized raised lip so air can circulate between the setter and stone.

Pizza top was perfectly cooked, but....

Bottom was rather undercooked.

Pizza tasted better than the oven bake (as I've made these several times before, but I know I need to preheat the stone much further before cooking. 

I may do the frozen margarita pizza tomorrow, but I feel like doing brisket next,  overall I see the potential for pizza on the bkk, I just wish I wasn't rushed on this one.
Skinsandos
Keg Hero of the Month - 8X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Winter Springs, FL --- Light It Up

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 02:01:52 PM »

DA you need to let the stone come up to temp that is close to the keg temp, say 425, that can take 45 min - 1 hour

Looks great

By the way that stone looks like an Old Stone Pizza Stone great product and it will last forever - Mine cost 40.00 each

Hunt - Fish - Kegvection Grilling
Canadacook

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 02:25:13 PM »

I was going to make my own, but I decided that if I messed it up I'd be ticked off

I know the feeling.  I haven't tried to do pizza yet on the Keg, but I was looking at a recipe for roast potato/roast garlic/artichoke/mozza pizza just last night that I might do ... both feet in ... success or no success ... on the Keg.  Undecided

BTW - pizza & pizza stone both look great!

"I smoke all the time, one after the other."

- Greta Garbo
bamabob
2X Hero of the Month ~ 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

my dog can't hold her licker

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 03:27:30 PM »

Pizza looks good from here DA-Bucks.
Nice set-up also.

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.
roaniecowpony
Steak Full Plated Meal - 2 x Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Torrance California

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 06:19:22 AM »

Da-Bucks,
Don't fret on the pizza.  Pizza can be an endless chase for perfection.  It's part baking and part deli counter assembly. 

If you haven't already, head over to Pizzamaking.com and check out various recipes.  Those guys are "tipped over". 

Chuck
Practice safe eating - always use a condiment
Bubba Keg Grill
BSK 2000
20x36 offset
600 inch gas grill
GrillinNchillin
5X Throwdown Champion - Hero of The Month
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 11:46:57 AM »

Kegged pizza!! Yum
Pages: [1]   Go Up