Broil King Keg Forum
November 17, 2019, 03:07:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maverick Probes & ET732  (Read 1896 times)
bamabob
2X Hero of the Month ~ 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

my dog can't hold her licker

« on: April 14, 2013, 11:09:06 AM »

On my last low & slow my Maverick ET732 pit probe was acting up.  Temp display jumping all over the place from 350* to 88* then back to normal.  Today doing some beef ribs it seemed fine, then I got the dreaded LLL.  Unplugged it from the unit and plugged back in, working again.  

I figured I better have a replacement on hand for my next overnighter so I looked on Amazon and came across these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B6TS858/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2VLI2DYODPTDA

Didn't know they made a hybrid, so I checked on Maverick's website and sure 'nuff it's OEM.

http://maverickhousewares.bigcartel.com/product/et-732-hybrid-probe

Available in a 2 pack, can be used for pit or food.  Just ordered for my next overnighter.

I have gotten more life than usual out of my last probes.  I started applying a dab of RTV 106 high temp adhesive sealant where the wire joins the probe to seal out the moisture.

The ET732 has become an indispensable tool especially for over night cooks.  Just wish they were more reliable.  

I also learned to change the batteries once in awhile.  Got a loss link alert in the middle of the night once.  New batteries in the transmitter solved it.  Wish it had a low battery indicator.

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.
frolin

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 12:32:20 PM »

Any other tips to help keep the probes from failing?  I keep mine cord dry and never submerge, but my food probe has failed a couple times

BSK 2000
Orginially from Kansas City,, BBQ Capital of the world!!!
SwineBelly

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 04:13:37 PM »

I keep my unit and the probes in a gallon zip lock bag with uncooked rice in it. The rice will absorb moisture. I've had mine for 3 years without a single problem
beernutz

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 10:12:53 AM »

Thank BamaBob!  I may give my Maverick one more shot.  I've previously gone through the two original probes and two replacement probes in just about a year and a half and haven't used my Maverick in months.  I'm going to try SwineBelly's tip this time. 

Has anyone had any luck baking their probes in an oven to remove the moisture?  I had a friend tell me this trick worked on a different monitor's probes which had stopped reading correctly.

bamabob
2X Hero of the Month ~ 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

my dog can't hold her licker

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 10:33:50 AM »

My failures have occurred during the cooking process.  Start out fine then crap out in the middle of a cook.  I figure it was moisture from inside the keg.  I'm always careful to not pinch the wires and clean them with a damp cloth holding the probe by the end next to the wire.

I'm not sure why unplugging it from the unit and plugging it back in would get it to work again but it worked twice for me yesterday.  I still have the probe, I'll try storing it in rice and see if that helps to make it more reliable.  Not sure how much heat the plastic end can handle, the end that plugs into the unit, so may not want to put in oven.

At work we have injection molding machines that use many industrial grade thermocouples.  They cost less than the Mavericks and hardly ever go bad.  Usually if we have to replace one it is due to accidental physical damage.  I'm convinced the Maverick probes have built in obsolescence to provide an income stream for Maverick once you buy their unit.  That being said, on the other hand the ones we use at work are in more of a static environment.  In other words, once they are installed, they don't get handled, cleaned, lid closed on them, wire jiggled and rolled up and stored etc.

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.
Vindii
2X Hero of the Month ~ 2X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 10:41:48 AM »

I'm not overly impressed with my mavrick probes. I've had some strange readings from them.  My guess is that they get a break in the wire under the braiding.  Sometime unplugging them makes them work again but I suspect its from moving the wire to allow it contact again more so than the actual unplugging it's self.

I need to find a heavy duty probe meant for restaurant application that can stand up to my carelessness.

See post 18
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=oovcf0ho0f6b61ce5v721lodo7&topic=4485.15

They are closed minded idiots (did I just say that?? YEP!) and they can't see the usefulness of other types of cookers.
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 06:06:44 PM »

That's why I made R2D2 my 4 probe gizmo
You need two of each probe

What killed the board? Narcissists
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 06:16:26 PM »

I'm not overly impressed with my mavrick probes. I've had some strange readings from them.  My guess is that they get a break in the wire under the braiding.  Sometime unplugging them makes them work again but I suspect its from moving the wire to allow it contact again more so than the actual unplugging it's self.

I need to find a heavy duty probe meant for restaurant application that can stand up to my carelessness.

I looked before, no luck.

You could buy something like this, if you wanted to learn how to program...

http://www.mlgp-llc.com/arduino/public/arduino-pcb.html
kind of geeky.

What killed the board? Narcissists
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: