Broil King Keg Forum
November 21, 2018, 06:39:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Santa Clara Chili (No Beans, NO Tomatos!)  (Read 6459 times)
Ghiizhar

« on: May 23, 2010, 06:02:04 PM »

I saw a posting here earlier this week for chili cooked in a cast iron Dutch oven. It reminded me of the Lodge CI Dutch oven I bought several years ago, but seldom useed on the stovetop due to it's size.

I decided it was time for it's maiden cruise on the BSK!

Edited to add: Since this was moved to recipes, I thought I'd add a few more comments. Prior to making this the first time several years ago, my family had only eaten "regular" chili - ground beef, tomato sauce, kidney beans, chili powder.

I did not think they would like this at all, but now it's their favorite style of chili. It can be as hot or as mild as you like by varying the 8 tablespoons of chili powders, use a few different types. That's really the "fun" part of this recipe, finding the perfect combo of chilis!

One other comment: When browning the meat, make sure the pot is sizzling hot, the idea is to quickly brown the beef cubes, but be careful not to overdo, or you can end up with dry, tough, bits o'beef. Fry it in 2 or 3 small batches for best results.

Santa Clara Chili Recipe

Ingredients:

Add enough oil to the dutch oven/skillet to nicely coat the bottom (1/8"). I use olive oil, lard is traditionally used
2 lb Beef roast (chuck, or whatever looks good/affordable to you)
3 tbs flour in a paper/plastic bag
1 Onion - I like Vidalias
2 Garlic cloves
8 tbs powdered chiles: I use a mixture of hot red chili, ancho, chilpote, and Hungarian paprika
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried Mexican oregano, (any other type if you don't have mexican on hand)
4 cups beef broth
3, 16 oz cans pinto beans

Instructions:

1. Heat the oil/lard in large heavy skillet over medium heat.
2. Saute the onions until they just begin to brown (or till soft if you don't like slightly browned onions)
3. When done to your liking, remove the onions and set aside
4. Coat beef cubes with flour, shaking in a paper or plastic bag with the flour.
3. Add the beef cubes to the skillet, stirring to brown evenly. (consider doing this in a few small batches)
4. Add garlic and cook briefly.
5. Remove from the heat and stir in the ground chile, coating the beef mixture evenly.
6. Add about half the onions, reserving the remainder to add at the end of the cook -OR- add them all. I like to have visible pieces of onion in the chili when I eat it. If you add all at this point, they will "dissolve"
7. Add the remaining seasonings and stir, then add a some of the broth.
8. Return oven to the grate, over low heat (I kept the BSK at 300*) continue cooking, stir occasionally until the mixture is smooth thickens
9. Then continue to add broth a little at a time, and stir until all is added.
10. Cook, uncovered, for 1 to 2 hours. (longer if a tough cut of beef was used)
11. After about an hour of cooking the chili, put the pintos into a sauce pan. Remove enough of the broth from the chile to cover the pintos. Simmer the pintos on your kitchen stove while waiting on the chili to finish.
12. If you saved some onion, add it just before serving. Decide how to serve your beans. Some folks add them to the chile, some serve on the side. (I have 'em on the side)

Saute the onions:

Browning the beef:

Added the ground chilis:

Added the broth, cooked low for 2 hours, almost ready!

Don't forget the cornbread!

Time to EAT!!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 04:09:07 PM by Ghiizhar » Logged
RNF
Superhero Member

South East Oklahoma

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 06:05:53 PM »

Ghiizhar,

Looks awesome. I may have to try it your way next time I do chili. Wink
ranbeaux
Keg Hero of the Month | Fish Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Keggin down south in Pasadena, Texas

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 06:25:09 PM »

Dang Geezer!!! that looks tremendous..  Do ya ship..  I'll pay for overnight... Grin

"RIGHT WING NUTT JOB"
"BITTER CLINGER TO MY"
  " GUNS AND MY KEG "
TAURUS BBQ
2x Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Niagara Falls, Ontario

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 06:02:19 AM »

alright, time to pull out the new dutch oven ....  Cheesy

TAURUS BBQ - Championship Cooking
Eat well my friends, eat well!
GrillSarge
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Doggie water taxi service http://www.zeemaps.com/k

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 02:10:11 PM »

Like this, going to try it soon.  I'll try using soybeans on the side instead of pintos , I don't hold out much hope for that part of it but it sure looks good.

The Black Cauldrons of Celtic myth.  Known as Undri, The Irish God the Dagda's cauldron from which no one leaves hungry or unsatisfied and Amen the Welsh Goddess Ceridwen's vessel from which flows wisdom and inspiration.  Also the cauldron of Annwn  that won't cook the food of a coward.
ronbeaux
BSK Hero of the Month; Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Zachary, Louisiana

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 03:45:12 PM »

I want some of that SOOOOOOOO Bad!

Is it burnt??
EconomicDisconnect
Superhero Member

North of Boston, MA

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 04:41:07 PM »

All right Ghiizhar!   Grin

Great recipe.

For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times. Before the Empire
Shawn W
2x Hero of the Month, 5x Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 06:29:25 AM »

Looks and sounds fantastic!

How did you make your cornbread?
Ghiizhar

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 09:39:56 AM »

How did you make your cornbread?
I "cheated" and made it in the kitchen oven. I used the recipe on the Quaker corn meal box. I've had the cast iron corn shaped muffin pans for years, don't know where I got them. I usually use standard muffin pans, but the cast iron pans are nice once in a while - they make really nice crispy cornbread sticks.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 04:41:54 PM by Ghiizhar » Logged
Duke City Smoke

Got Smoke? Albuquerque, NM

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 10:57:49 PM »

Gentlemen,
I say Hero worthy on this one.  Do I have a second?

I did not make it to the top of the food chain to become a vegetarian!
Weber Summit S650 "Grillzilla"
Electric ECB
Brand New Bubba "Keg Kong"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: