Broil King Keg Forum
June 20, 2018, 09:34:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cooking 2 briskets  (Read 12730 times)
SwineBelly

« on: February 22, 2013, 02:25:19 PM »

For you experienced competition guys, do you see a problem with cooking on brisket on the Keg and one on the WSM and combine the best slices for turn in? Would a mix from two different cooks make a difference to the judges? This is IBCA
TAURUS BBQ
2x Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Niagara Falls, Ontario

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 05:23:04 PM »

For you experienced competition guys, do you see a problem with cooking on brisket on the Keg and one on the WSM and combine the best slices for turn in? Would a mix from two different cooks make a difference to the judges? This is IBCA

You could easily pick the best slices from one and burnt ends from the other. It will give you options.  Good luck!

TAURUS BBQ - Championship Cooking
Eat well my friends, eat well!
SwineBelly

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 05:28:32 PM »

Well, no burnt ends in IBCA. It says that each type of meat needs its own heat source. So you couldn't cook a chicken half with ribs. But I'm thinking that I could cook 2 briskets in the WSM and save the Keg for ribs.
TAURUS BBQ
Superhero Member

Niagara Falls, Ontario

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 05:48:41 PM »

Well, no burnt ends in IBCA. It says that each type of meat needs its own heat source. So you couldn't cook a chicken half with ribs. But I'm thinking that I could cook 2 briskets in the WSM and save the Keg for ribs.

My bad, but it is still a good idea to cook two briskets if you can, even in the same cooker. Every brisket cooks differently, even in the same cooker, same temp, same time, etc.

Is it a 22.5 wsm? If so, perhaps you want to use that for the ribs instead, larger diamater means less cutting/shortening of the rack, less well done ends, use the keg for brisket (top and bottem racks).

SwineBelly

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 06:44:15 PM »

Unfortunately, all I have is the 18" WSM. Those big ones sure look nice, but I just got the Keg. May have to wait on that one a little while. The Keg produced some great practice ribs for me this week. Maybe I will put 2 briskets on the WSM and 2 racks of ribs on the Keg.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 03:25:31 AM by SwineBelly » Logged
TAURUS BBQ
Superhero Member

Niagara Falls, Ontario

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 06:46:53 PM »

Unfortunately, all I have is the 18" WSM. Those big sure look nice, but I just got the Keg. May have to wait on that one a little while. The Keg produced some great practice ribs for me this week. Maybe I will put 2 briskets on the WSM and 2 racks of ribs on the Keg.

Up, go with what you know...

jsegura3
Superhero Member

San Antonio, TX

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 12:09:36 AM »

It says that each type of meat needs its own heat source.
Not sure where you read that but I know 90% of teams use one or 2 pits for everything. You can do everything on a single pit if you wanted. Do what you feel comfortable with - keg or WSM but I would recommend doing chicken over direct coals at 325* or so. Judges really like that grilled/roasted flavor on chicken. Also make sure your brisket has a chance to rest for at least 2 hours, I've had much better luck when I rest by brisket for 2-3 hours. Keep practicing too, it really helps.  Wink
SwineBelly

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 03:31:53 AM »

This is directly from IBCA rules:
 Pit  shall be of a design that contains individual cooking chambers and heat sources (no sharing of heat sources). With the exception of Junior or Kid’s Cook-off’s, contestants must be 18 years of age to participate for cash prizes.

I know you can't share a pit with another team, but this makes it sound like you can't put a chicken and a rack of ribs on the same cooking source unless it has a separate cooking chamber.
jsegura3
Superhero Member

San Antonio, TX

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 06:46:27 AM »

Rules do read a little strange, I think it's referring to teams sharing pits. Trust me you are ok.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: